Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,189 Posts
I thought all Automatic Cooper S came with the Paddle shifts. Mine does and it wasn't an additional option.
If you have an F56, it is definitely an extra option. It was standard on the R-series Cooper S Auto MINIs, but on the F-series, you need to option 2TB Sport Auto Transmission to get the paddles. This option also changes the transmission programming for faster shifts.

· Registered
1,837 Posts
Yeah, in the UK the Cooper S and SD can only be equipped with the 6spd manual or S A/T, therefore paddles come standard with the JCW steering wheel if equipped with the SA/T. In the UK we can't specify the standard A/T, that is only available on a One, Cooper & Cooper D in the UK.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Interesting.... Thanks for the knowledge, gents

In the US the Cooper S has THREE transmission options....endlessly confusing for customers...

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Reactions: brandonbardsley

· Registered
116 Posts
If you have an F56, it is definitely an extra option. It was standard on the R-series Cooper S Auto MINIs, but on the F-series, you need to option 2TB Sport Auto Transmission to get the paddles. This option also changes the transmission programming for faster shifts.
So if that is the case, it is possible that my car was fitted with regular steering wheel without paddle shifters but I do have auto transmission which activates higher RPM when lever moved to the left + when sport mode is active my car had dynamic damper control :) So I don't know why the owner/MINI didn't just put in JCW steering wheel.

1) Without me putting another steering wheel, am I able to code the AT so it would become sport AT?
OR
2) Is it possible that my AT is already coded as Sport AT?

· Registered
6 Posts
So if that is the case, it is possible that my car was fitted with regular steering wheel without paddle shifters but I do have auto transmission which activates higher RPM when lever moved to the left + when sport mode is active my car had dynamic damper control :) So I don't know why the owner/MINI didn't just put in JCW steering wheel.

1) Without me putting another steering wheel, am I able to code the AT so it would become sport AT?
OR
2) Is it possible that my AT is already coded as Sport AT?
My understanding and what I read is that you can change it to Sport AT configuration with bimmercode. This changes way it shifts. I am still trying figure out if I just add a new steering wheel with shifts and it works or if you need an additional module.

· Registered
116 Posts
My understanding and what I read is that you can change it to Sport AT configuration with bimmercode. This changes way it shifts. I am still trying figure out if I just add a new steering wheel with shifts and it works or if you need an additional module.
I did code Sport AT but you have to use E-Sys PC program(bimmercode won't do it). You can change your current steering wheel to the one with paddle shifters(no additional modules needed). The coding can be done via E-Sys

· Registered
28 Posts
I did code Sport AT but you have to use E-Sys PC program(bimmercode won't do it). You can change your current steering wheel to the one with paddle shifters(no additional modules needed). The coding can be done via E-Sys
I was wondering if you would be able to answer a question. I got paddle shifters to retrofit, but I am not sure where to plug them in? There doesnt seem to be a place.

· Registered
Mini Cooper (non-S) F56 - 2019
43 Posts
I was wondering if you would be able to answer a question. I got paddle shifters to retrofit, but I am not sure where to plug them in? There doesnt seem to be a place.
@Carcreations Did you get only the paddle shifters or the JCW Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift?

Per what I been reading, if you get this Steering Wheel, swap it and have the proper coding it should work.

I am only pending to confirm if I need to replace the item *4 connecting line.

Hope I have helped.

· Registered
28 Posts
@Carcreations Did you get only the paddle shifters or the JCW Steering Wheel with Paddle Shift?
View attachment 73444

Per what I been reading, if you get this Steering Wheel, swap it and have the proper coding it should work.

I am only pending to confirm if I need to replace the item *4 connecting line.

Hope I have helped.
Thank you! I think my current issue is the fact I bought the wheel and wiring harness for the steering wheel separately. I believe the wiring harness I got is faulty so that has been my issue. It has caused much pain, been trying to film a youtube video of it and there are going to be a ton of bloopers! XD Anyway, I think I just have to get a new harness and we should be good fingers crossed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.