Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am picking up a used F56 JCW in a few weeks and I'm purchasing new rims for the car. I'd like to forego the TPMS sensors if possible. Cars seem to be getting smarter over time.... will there be any adverse effects other than an idiot light on the dash? With the car shut down? Phone back to MINI? Take up my entire LCD with an annoying, flashing light? (Apologies, I've never even sat in an F56) Thanks!

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
There is a thread on here 're winter tyres and no tpms. From memory it bongs initially then settled to a caution triangle on the dash. But the aftermarket lot are getting there and you may gasket a set for less than mini want. Of course it'll fail the mot when its due!

· Registered
407 Posts
I know this is crossing into a different manufacturer, but when I had my Subaru I pulled my TPMS when I got new tires. I didn't see the justification in paying as much as they wanted for them. All I ever dealt with was a warning light. YMMV but at least for NY state, TPMS was not a mandatory pass/fail item for inspection. It may differ state-to-state and country-to-country.

· Registered
87 Posts
To answer the question of whether or not you should use the TPMS:

If you are running Runflat tires, then you DEFINITELY want to use TPMS. The reason is because when a runflat tire deflates and you continue to drive on it, you rapidly begin wearing out the sidewall (which is why they say you can only go 50 miles or so flat on a deflated runflat tire). Without the TPMS sensor, it is possible that you would not know your runflat tire is deflated and one day on the highway the tire just flies apart. Not good!!

If you are converting over to non-runflats, then you'll know you have a flat right away, so they are not critical but will let you know when your tire pressure are low. In the end, they are a safety feature and only cost $200, about twice the price of a nice dinner for two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.