Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Have enjoyed my 2016 MCS since July 18th. It's done in Moonwalk Gray with black wheels, mirrors and roof, with JCW bonnet stripes. Have been told/read that Mini paint is really thin. Asked my SA about paint protection and he said he wouldn''t spend the money on any of them, including what the dealership offered (in hushed voice).

So the advice I'm seeking from you all is this: What is your opinion of paint/wheel/interior protection packages overall? Are any of them worth the money? Any opinions on Opti-Coat or other protection packages?

Thanks in advance for the help and guidance.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Minis have thin paint" sounds like something being spread around by people who stand to benefit from people buying paint protection packages.

Don't buy these products (unless you like spreading the cost of them over your financing term, eventually paying 2 to 3 times what the typical claim would be). They are insurance, horribly inflated poor value insurance.

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Waste of money minis have great paint but the blunt front end does make it more prone to stone attack plus of
course due to saving the environment new water based paints seem a bit softer than good old cellulose etc! However the only way to protect the front is a vinyl wrap. None of the sealants help but will make cleaning the car easier for a while .eg like a good wax but they're supposed to last longer.

·
Registered
768 Posts
"Minis have thin paint" sounds like something being spread around by people who stand to benefit from people buying paint protection packages.
That and not understanding the difference between solvent-based and waterborne paint. Three coats of solvent based paint will spray on at a thickness of about 2-3 mil, waterborne will spray three coats of coverage in about half a mil thickness. That doesn't mean it's thinner it just means it's easier to work with since it takes less to even out the surface. The only way to know for sure how thick or thin the paint is would be to measure it, and those digital paint meters are SPENDY!.
Paint is going to scratch, chip and ding no matter how thick or thin it is. Wash it, Wax it hope for the best.....

·
Registered
2015 F56 JCW
509 Posts
I had looked into all this paint protection etc etc. For the price of it, you are better off looking after it with your weekly washes and if after a few years the paint has taken a hiding, get it resprayed.

Definitely don't go with the dealership protection packages, go aftermarket, they are of similar or better quality and a much cheaper price.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I flip flopped on spending money getting mine Opticoated. I eventually paid $1100 for aftermarket exterior Opticoat and a good quality window tint.

I will be getting this done on all my new cars from here on in. As long as you realise it doesn't protect from stone chips. It does make it exceedingly easy to keep clean and looking like new.

·
Registered
78 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Found a place about 70 miles away that'll do the hood and bumper for $750. Now just need to come up with the cash. I've already overspent my toy fund for the year.
LOL! You're not alone on this problem! ;-). Time to sell someting on eBay maybe?

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
Have a look on ebay .not sure whats available but in the uk autoglym lifeshine and 'a 'glaze are all available to diy.it really is an easy job in spite of what they may tell you. If the car is new wash it then usually a prepcoat that is polish on then off, then the glaze polish on leave to cure polish off . done. About£30 max. You get a spray on carpet upholstery treatment glass treatment and leather treatment in the a glaze pack too. Other than that buy a good carnauba wax say£30 and treat it every 3 months. Same effect! The rest is labour!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Treated mine with GTechniq Crystal Serum and Exo 15months ago. Water/dirt repellancy is still excellent. CS has a 7 year guarantee.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can't remember the name if the 3M product film (Certified 3M Clear Bra) . But i have it in the front (number/hood) part of the car - and love it . Drive in Downtown Minneapolis and Hwy everyday and can't tell you the crap that hit my car all the time - Not a single scratch - the things just bounce out of the polymer film. Result is after 1+ year from purchase not a single scratch -- while I have to fid the front glass twice!

Actually here is a link to one source: http://www.bravoprotectionmn.com/3m-clear-bra-installer/

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.