Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning All,

Can I get a bit of advice from you please. I'm going to collect my mini 1st December and have been thinking about buying a set of winter wheels. I had a quote through from the dealership supplying the car and was wondering if this was a reasonable deal or not.

16" black alloys with Runflat tyres style 508 - £1,236.00 Inc Vat

16" Steel Wheels with non-runflat tyres -£528.00 Inc Vat - for the steel wheels you also need a mobility kit and wheel covers, this takes the price up to £696.00 Inc Vat.

My gut feeling is to go for steels. Can someone tell me what the mobility kit is for and if this is a good price or not.

Many thanks,

Sunster

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ahh, am I right in saying the mobility kit is the spray gunk? My car is coming with a spacesaver wheel for the standard wheels, so I guess this is needed or can I purchase a similar can/type cheaper elsewhere?

·
Registered
508 Posts
The steel wheel option will be for 15" wheels, not 16". The choice between them is mostly a question of appearance - if you can't be seen dead in a car without alloy wheels, then that decision is made for you!

If you are an enthusiastic driver who corners as fast as the level of tyre grip will allow, then you may want to consider the extra for 16" wheels, which will give better cornering grip for the 95% of the winter when roads are dry or wet, but not snowy.

Both 15" or 16" winters will provide excellent braking and traction at low temps, so it is only extra cornering grip that 16s will provide.

If you are buying the car with 15" wheels as standard (ie, a Cooper, One or First) then there is no point going to bigger wheels for winter.

If your car is coming with a spare wheel, then you don't need the mobility kit. Admittedly the spacesaver spare wheel does not have a winter tyre on it, so you would need to exercise great care and slow speed when driving with three winters and the spare, if you got a puncture, but then the same is true for summer.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Angib - the car's a cooper with 16inch wheels. I'm 'breaking' the car in for my Mum (getting mine early next year) so I will try my hardest to not be too enthusiastic (we'll see how that one goes).

Are you sure the steels will be 15 inch?

Many thanks,

Sunster

·
Registered
890 Posts
Sunster, the steel wheel price seems reasonable if that also includes the TPMS sensors.

Personally I usually use steel winter wheels as it doesn't matter so much if you slide into the odd kerb and you don't need to worry so much about alloy/salt corrosion.

You can also get some quite convincing trim covers-my last ones looked better than the alloys I used in the non-winter!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yep - just found out from the dealer that he made a mistake and they are indeed 15 inches for the steels.

Mikeswagon - I'll probably see you round town soon enough. I'm getting quoted £529 including fitting (if doing it at the same time as I collect) on Pirelli W210 Snowcontrol 3. Is this comparable to the deal you got.

PS - getting the quote from the dealer in Dundee at the mo.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sunster, the steel wheel price seems reasonable if that also includes the TPMS sensors.

Personally I usually use steel winter wheels as it doesn't matter so much if you slide into the odd kerb and you don't need to worry so much about alloy/salt corrosion.

You can also get some quite convincing trim covers-my last ones looked better than the alloys I used in the non-winter!
Johnan, I've been shown a pic of the mini covers that look, well, okay. Do you have a link for other covers or, and pardon my ignorance here, will the mini steels be typical enough to get third party good quality ones?

·
Registered
966 Posts
yep - just found out from the dealer that he made a mistake and they are indeed 15 inches for the steels.

Mikeswagon - I'll probably see you round town soon enough. I'm getting quoted £529 including fitting (if doing it at the same time as I collect) on Pirelli W210 Snowcontrol 3. Is this comparable to the deal you got.

PS - getting the quote from the dealer in Dundee at the mo.
Yes that price is roughly the same (remember to ask for a discount...).

If they're going to swap the wheels, and you're taking the summers home with you, make sure you've get some plastic to put down to keep the boot/seat backs clean. They fit easily enough, but could make a mess otherwise. I just collected the winters and swapped them myself, so this was ok as they were minty fresh. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one last question mikes wagon - is it easy enough to fit myself. There's part of me that just wants my first journey to be in the spanky new alloys. I can easily change a wheel... but do I need to faff with sensors and the like?

Sunster

·
Registered
966 Posts
If you can change a wheel, you're 95% there as the sensors are already fitted, ready to go.

Once you've swapped them over, go to the vehicle status menu, and select the tyre pressure reset option. Then drive for a few miles, it will give you a progress bar on screen. Don't be surprised if the pressure is too high, and if you have to let air out you'll need to do the reset again.

Note if you didn't spec the spare wheel, AFAIK you won't have the jack etc, just in case you were planning using that.

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I reckon mini steels are great value since they've quoted for really good winter tyres and the Tom's are £65/wheel. . As Mike says very easy to change just done mine BUt if you cannot bear the thought of steels try my tyres.co.uk very reasonable but of course you need the tpms on top . I have dezent td graphite for mine.

Attachments

Reactions: Sunster

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Ps these are £290 Inc p n p tyre about 280 for these which are 16" eg hankook or firestone winters and 330 all in from mini for the tpms valves fitting and balance. I keep the summers my self. Teeny bit cheaper than mini alloys but not a match for steel. Ie 800 all in. And I really like the looks of them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Johnan, I've been shown a pic of the mini covers that look, well, okay. Do you have a link for other covers or, and pardon my ignorance here, will the mini steels be typical enough to get third party good quality ones?
Sorry for delay in response Sunster, I have been away from the forum.

My comments re the steel wheels and trim covers refer to my previous non Mini, so I can not give good advice on suitable ones for Mini's I'm afraid.
I went to Halfrauds and found a set of £12 covers that looked great on my particular car but it is very much down to the individual of course.

Trim covers fit any steel wheels depending on diameter and 15 inch seems the common size so there should be plentiful availability of choice of design.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mikeswagon, Jeremybingham and johnan - many thanks for your very constructive advice.

I think we'll go for steelies. I'm still umm-ing and ahh-ing about the covers though - they're erm, okay-ish, but not exactly dazzling - at least they have the mini moniker on them i suppose - let me know what you all think.

The next question will be whether I decide to get them fitted at the time. Gut feeling is no. Unless it gets very cold or icy which is a possibility up here northside.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
I've fitted mine sunster, as they are better than std in temperatures below7degrees c.they wear better and offer better wet braking etc etc. They aren't just better in snow and ice and if you go Pirelli they're brilliant tyres. Didn't want to be caught out. Always do it around Halloween and they usually come off March, but I keep an eye on the weatheir. Mind you they aren't that good ! I rang my insurers to let them know and they wanted£9extra as I'd had 'aftermarket alloys'. Another good reason for steel. However I wrote and complained I was being charged extra for making my car safer and they refunded it. Very pleased with Sheila wheels Yes they do insure males!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
righto, thanks all - really really appreciate your time and help!

I'm going for the steelies with covers - not fitted. I just want to do that first 80 mile drive in the proper wheels (unless it's a blizzard, in which case I'll change my mind).

Total price is £588 but I'm going to do some haggling.

Last question - can I get the BMW or similar notability gunk stuff cheaper elsewhere?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
back again,

So I'm looking online and I can see bottles of sealant and car packs such as the attachment. Mini is asking for over £100 for their kit - this one here is £18 delivered.

Is there really any difference?

This fix a flat stuff also says that once used the tyre can be cleaned out with soapy water and repaired as normal - obviously depending on the condition of the tyre that is. I've heard the Mini stuff renders the tyre unusable. Having used neither of them I don't know. Any experience?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Imo the stuff from halfords or aldi is fine. Aldi wanted £7for it last I saw. Used it once on a slow puncture. It blew the tyre up and sealed the leak fine. Nothing else needed. Holts i think. Don't waste your money on mini.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Many thanks Jeremy - getting it all sorted.

£107 down to £7. Now there's a saving!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts