Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Today I install jcw big brake kit. I feel the brake is spongy now and very weak when stopping. Maybe because it's still new?

Anyway I'm writing this regarding the coding I went to the dealership and they refuse to code the car since I didn't install by them.

Right now what should I do? How can I code my car. And is that something I have to do necessarily? As I asked many people who told me it doesn't need coding

Please advise 馃檹

Registered
Cooper S Works 210
From what i've read they don't need coding BUT the pedal will be soft and not as progressive.

Registered
This thread on NAM says that the coding is required to calibrate the ABS and DSC systems for the bigger brakes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
This thread on NAM says that the coding is required to calibrate the ABS and DSC systems for the bigger brakes.

In my situation what should I do ?

Mini dealer should not refuse right?

Registered
Looks like it can be coded if have the correct hardware/software. Maybe someone will be along soon that can help: :)

Registered
I coded mine using Esys and feels much better now. You need to research how to use Esys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Today I install jcw big brake kit. I feel the brake is spongy now and very weak when stopping. Maybe because it's still new?

Anyway I'm writing this regarding the coding I went to the dealership and they refuse to code the car since I didn't install by them.

Right now what should I do? How can I code my car. And is that something I have to do necessarily? As I asked many people who told me it doesn't need coding

Please advise 馃檹
Odd. I installed mine myself. Took to dealer and had all my boxes and such (pics) and papers. They did the flash.

as for feel. I bled mine but these guys have a closed abs system. I ended up having them bleed as well and the car feels spectacular

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I coded mine using Esys and feels much better now. You need to research how to use Esys.

What exactly did you feel after the coding. In normal driving any difference?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Odd. I installed mine myself. Took to dealer and had all my boxes and such (pics) and papers. They did the flash.

as for feel. I bled mine but these guys have a closed abs system. I ended up having them bleed as well and the car feels spectacular View attachment 69432

mine i have to press the padel waay far to have it stop is that because the bleeding?

What was the difference after coding in normal driving ?

Also what was the purpose of showing you paper and boxes ?

Registered
Sounds like it needs bleeding again. Here鈥檚 a quote from the guy in the first thread I linked:

the rest of the time was spent doing a VERY VERY annoying brake bleed. it just didn't seem to want to bleed. i used up 1.5 Liters of brake fluid before the bubble finally stopped.

Registered
Cooper S Works 210
Thanks.

I think I will take it to dealer for that. Also will try again to let them code it
If you ask the dealer for a brake service they shouldn't refuse to bleed the system properly as they wouldn't return the car to a customer if it isn't 100%
If they are doing a brake service then i'd assume coding if required should be carried out at the same time - they might charge extra but i don't see why they'd refuse

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
If you ask the dealer for a brake service they shouldn't refuse to bleed the system properly as they wouldn't return the car to a customer if it isn't 100%
If they are doing a brake service then i'd assume coding if required should be carried out at the same time - they might charge extra but i don't see why they'd refuse

Refused because I didn't purchase it from them plus I didn't install it by them!. And they sell this kit for $4500 without installation also you have to wait 3 weeks to get it. So I purchased it from esctuning for $1700 including shipping and I received within 4 days.

The issue is we only have one dealership in my county. Additionally they don't have much marketing for MINI I believe I'm the first one who did this BBK kit in the whole country ,could you imagine that i take my car to bmw for service there's no mini logo anyway their. Ano there's no show room too. You build your MINI in bmw show room then you receive it hahaha.

Registered
mine i have to press the padel waay far to have it stop is that because the bleeding?

What was the difference after coding in normal driving ?

Also what was the purpose of showing you paper and boxes ?
yes that鈥檚 from the bleeding. You can bleed but without actuating the abs you鈥檒l probably need to take In. You probably get improved brake feel as you pump.

I just showed them everything to make sure theyknew these were new out of the box parts.

I was driving with everything DSC traction off prior to as I understand that鈥檚 mostly what鈥檚 affected.

the other comment is dead on. If you can get the software and have the ability - you can find the coding requirements somewhere in these forums. I found once but for $175 I didn鈥檛 care to haggle with it.

Registered
What exactly did you feel after the coding. In normal driving any difference?
It bites faster and easier to modulate. Before that I really need to press the brake for it to bite. As for spongy brake, make sure you bleed both inside and outside pistons. There are 2 bleed nipples.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts