Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
646 Posts
Pretty sure this is impossible given the layout of the cabin.

For the amount of adjusting required (and therefore loss of value to the car) I think I'd rather take a lifetime of fines!

I hope by the time I change my Mini in a few years that they have CarPlay. In the meantime I'm quite happy with my set up of a good phone holder and the functionality of visual boost.

· Registered
220 Posts

· Registered
1,189 Posts
Probably not impossible, depending on how much time/money you want to spend, but it's very difficult to do. You can't replace the factory headunit since it integrates into various systems in the car, so you have to bypass it. It gets a little messy...

· Registered
608 Posts
Fear Not! I heard from a (for the moment confidential) source that there "MAY WELL BE" a retrofit software update available for carplay (and the android equivalent) with iDrive units of 2014/5 or later.

More news as I get it, but allegedly the core infrastructure is in place. I suspect it will cost a few quid mind you...

· Registered
54 Posts
Fear Not! I heard from a (for the moment confidential) source that there "MAY WELL BE" a retrofit software update available for carplay (and the android equivalent) with iDrive units of 2014/5 or later.

More news as I get it, but allegedly the core infrastructure is in place. I suspect it will cost a few quid mind you...
Does that require the 6.5 or 8 inch display? Would mini really provide a software update? Does CarPlay work without a touchscreen?

Article I saw said its only new cars w touch screen I drive. http://www.motoringfile.com/2015/11/03/official-bmw-mini-to-offer-carplay-android-auto/

· Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone actually used a touchscreen, particularly whilst driving?

I have an F56 MCS, the wife has a Ford Focus with Sync 2 touchscreen. I find the tactle feedback in the Mini so much easier to use. With the Ford touchscreen your arm is outstretched, even the slightest bump in the road and you press the wrong "button", so you're continually looking at it to confirm what you've pressed.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
I've seen CarPlay work on some Audi systems using just the controller, no touchscreen. It's possible it sounds like.

Video:

· Registered
98 Posts
Has anyone actually used a touchscreen, particularly whilst driving?

I have an F56 MCS, the wife has a Ford Focus with Sync 2 touchscreen. I find the tactle feedback in the Mini so much easier to use. With the Ford touchscreen your arm is outstretched, even the slightest bump in the road and you press the wrong "button", so you're continually looking at it to confirm what you've pressed.
My girlfriend has a mazda and it uses both a touchscreen and an idrive style controller. We always just use the controller, much easier. Also the touchscreen locks itself when the car is moving, so the controller is the only way to change it while driving.

· Registered
54 Posts
The Apple website for Carplay specifically makes a big point that it DOES work with whatever controls are native to the car.
http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
"CarPlay also works with your car’s controls — knobs, buttons, or touchscreen."

But... has Mini, or even BMW, ever.... EVER... provided any sort of an update that added new function to an already sold car?

Many car manufacturers seem to have an attitude that you bought it your stuck with it. Want the minor update... buy a new car. Such as in the GM Volt and Nissan LEAF. Tesla provides major new functions via software updates.

Which side does BMW/Mini sit?

I've obsessed about every individual option for an order and decided to forgo the media package with the 6.5" screen. The base system seems to work ok with the iPhone and I was not impressed using Mini connected for a couple of days. However, if there's any realistic chance of it being upgraded to Carplay, I'd be happy to get the 6.5" screen.

· Registered
608 Posts
This was my point, as I understand it, BMW will actually release the retrofit option as the "system" is ready for it with no modification other than software. The generation of iDrive the F56 has is DESIGNED to run Carplay...

I'm still sceptical, but I have been told to wait and see.

· Registered
98 Posts
Thinking about it, a retrofit kind of makes sense. I may not fully understand how the system works, but my understanding is carplay is apple only? Wouldn't only people with iphones be able to utilize carplay? If so, there doesn't make any sense to have carplay replace the current MINI connected set up because for those who want the extra features, but have an android-based phone...they would still need a separate system (either android auto, or the current MINI system). Allowing people to simply have carplay installed would allow those with android-based phone to use MINI connected (current system) and those with iphones to utilize carplay. I guess maybe I'm not 100% sure how carplay integrates with the car/phone.

· Registered
54 Posts
Thinking about it, a retrofit kind of makes sense. I may not fully understand how the system works, but my understanding is carplay is apple only? Wouldn't only people with iphones be able to utilize carplay? If so, there doesn't make any sense to have carplay replace the current MINI connected set up because for those who want the extra features, but have an android-based phone...they would still need a separate system (either android auto, or the current MINI system). Allowing people to simply have carplay installed would allow those with android-based phone to use MINI connected (current system) and those with iphones to utilize carplay. I guess maybe I'm not 100% sure how carplay integrates with the car/phone.
Typically Carplay augments but does not replace the functionality that's already present in the car. They may change in the future, but today, Carplay is an add on. It would probably show up in the top menu as another option in the way that Mini Connected shows up.

Google has the equivalent, Android Auto. Most cars that support Carplay are also supporting Android Auto so you get similar functionality if you have an Android phone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.