Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i have the adaptive suspension on my cooper S. Do I need to find specific coilover that fits this option.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good luck with that - do you want to get coilovers with adaptive damping? That may be in the 'pigs may fly' timescale. If you go to regular coilovers, I wonder if the car will throw a fault code, thinking that it has lost contact with the dampers?

·
Registered
187 Posts
To my knowledge, limited though it may be, I have to question why you would spec adaptive suspension then remove it and replace with coil overs?
Surely you would be wiser going for standard and then getting some adjustable coil overs for what ever kind of driving you intend with this suspension set up (track maybe?)
The beauty of adaptive suspension is to be able to have, in effect "the best of both worlds" where the suspension can be adjusted with the flick of a switch to suit both the current terrain and the current driving style.
Coilovers with adjustable pre load etc will be very race biased on even the softest of settings.
If its just the look you are after (lowered) then you may be able to change the springs to a lowered variety (if they ever make any for the adaptive system) but to be honest, it all seems counter productive.
BMW MINI will have spent a small fortune developing this system so you would be well set simply going for a standard suspension set up and changing that.

Only my two penneth though.:nerd:

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm hoping that future software updates will allow for greater control of the VDC, i.e. even softer and even stiffer settings, but that's probably in the pigs might fly category too, i.e. the system is tied into the physical range of the dampers....

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I thought the "adaptive" part of our suspensions was actually in the shock absorber itself. From what I understood, you control whether a valve is opened or shut in the shock absorber.

When the valve is opened, the normal flow of oil goes up and down in the shock absorber, hence having a normally reacting shock absorber.

When the valve is shut, the oil flow is limited so the shock absorber moves less freely, therefore giving an harsher ride.

Since the only options are to open or shut the valve, I don't think we'll ever have greater control in the whole process. :(

If I understood the concept correctly, it would mean we could use any coilovers and it wouldn't break anything.

Disclaimer: don't take what I said for granted, I don't have any technical confirmation about my thoughts

·
Registered
72 Posts
its magnetic particles within the shocks that are energised at various levels that controls hardness...

id not go spec'ing up fancy factory fit active dampers to only go replace the springs... you may end up making things all out of kilter, resulting in a very bad ride or worse, poor handling... at a guess id have thought the spring / damper combo is fairly well tuned package, and little the end user could do to make things any better?

you may as well save your money on the factory fit stuff and modify as required after... that would make a lot more sense to me...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
MINI/BMW don't use the magnetic adaptive suspension system. Sadly I cam't find the article I read or I would post it up, but as patch says the system uses valves to pressurise the shock to stiffen the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
ive not looked into it technically, but going by what the dealer said.. they eluded to the magnetic system...

just done a google... and found the mini press pack

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/netherlands/download.html?textId=192370&textAttachmentId=236264

"Two characteristic lines are available for damper set-up, allowing activation of either a more comfort-oriented response or a direct, sporty response to road bumps, depending on the given situation. The compression and rebound stage are adjusted by means of electrical control of the EDC valves."

meaning no magnetic fluid... dont listen to the sales people lol!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Whatever mechanism is used to adjust the dampers, it will be lost if the dampers are replaced by coilovers. And if replaced, what will the ECU think when there is no feedback on the adaptive damper wiring? Would there be a permanent fault warning that the dampers aren't working?

I suspect if anyone wants to fit coilovers, they should not order adaptive damping as it may incompatible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts