Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I am fully aware that they are illegal but has anyone had any luck with installing a HID kit to their MINI?

Originally I bought one of the cheaper kits, however, I got errors for both dipped beam and high beam.

I sent that kit back and recently bought a kit from HIDS4U as these are meant to be the best kits around.

After installing the HIDS4U kit I am no longer getting errors for the dipped beam, however, I am still getting errors for the high beam.

Both kits that I have tried are CANBUS and are meant to stop the errors.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has managed find a kit which doesn't bring any "bulb out" errors.

Thanks,
Harvey

·
Registered
406 Posts
I am fully aware that they are illegal
Then why would you put them in your car? You're not only doing a disservice to yourself by limiting the usable and effective light on the road, but you are causing a safety issue for other drivers which could cause an accident.

They are illegal to be retro fitted for a reason. They are a danger to other drivers on the road. If your headlights are not designed properly (which they aren't since you went aftermarket) then they scatter the light everywhere and render the HID bulbs useless.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has managed find a kit which doesn't bring any "bulb out" errors.
Yes, it's called the garbage. Put your HID bulb kits in there and walk away.

Please visit Daniel Stern lighting, This guy knows his stuff.

I'm sorry to sound negative, but nothing bothers me more than improper car parts that pose a danger not only to my eye sight, but other drivers as well. Also a lot of insurance companies if they find out you had an illegal part on your car can deny your claims. So your $100 mod can turn into a $20000 bill, that you have to pay out of pocket for a new car, really quickly.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Totally agree. I am totally against these after market kits that do nothing other than annoy, no blind, other road users.

The police need to be doing more to stop this practice.

Enjoy your MINI, without these!

·
Registered
406 Posts
The police need to be doing more to stop this practice.
I agree. Police would make a LOT of money if they would write more tickets for improper car mods and parts that are illegal.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I have bought a HID kit is because the standard halolgen headlights are very poor.

I have specifically bought a 4300k kit so that I am not blinding other drivers on the road.

Honestly I understand how many of you will be against these kits, but I'm really after some advice and not your opionions on the the subject.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The reason I have bought a HID kit is because the standard halolgen headlights are very poor.

I have specifically bought a 4300k kit so that I am not blinding other drivers on the road.

Honestly I understand how many of you will be against these kits, but I'm really after some advice and not your opionions on the the subject.
It doesn't matter the temperature of the light that is coming out of the bulb. Its the fact the your headlights were not designed for that kind of bulb, so you are essentially blinding other drivers, and wasting usable light. (if you notice HID headlights, they are all a projector beam style housing).

Buy yourself the nightbreaker unlimited. They vastly improved my meager headlight output.

None of us are trying to be rude. We are just giving you advice that is generally well accepted by many of the car enthusiasts out there, and the professionals.

Reactions: kenl

·
Registered
375 Posts
Are the standard lights that bad?

I'm fortunate to have the LED headlights on my car and I must say that after you get used to those all normal lights seem to be poor. However I find the LED's on approaching MINI's also very annoying when you look into them from a certain angle. I had a number of approaching cars flashing their lights at me like there was something wrong with mine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I find the standard halogens ok, granted the LED lights are better.

If you want to experience poor headlamps try a Jaguar X-Type with standard halogens, or better still a Renault 4 with 6 volt electrics :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
It doesn't matter the temperature of the light that is coming out of the bulb. Its the fact the your headlights were not designed for that kind of bulb, so you are essentially blinding other drivers, and wasting usable light. (if you notice HID headlights, they are all a projector beam style housing).

Buy yourself the nightbreaker unlimited. They vastly improved my meager headlight output.

None of us are trying to be rude. We are just giving you advice that is generally well accepted by many of the car enthusiasts out there, and the professionals.
Confirmed, i own a 2015 Cooper also, and i replaced my standard Osram orange lichts to Osram Nightbreakers, and i will never go back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some testing I have decided to send the kit back and stick with legal halogens.

I will probably get some Osram lights as recommended by yourselves.

Thank you for sharing your comments on this guys. I definitely agree that these lights are not safe and I'm glad you opened my eyes to this.

Cheers,
Harvey

Reactions: kenl

·
Registered
406 Posts
I'm glad you opened my eyes to this.
Glad you saw the light.... *ba-dum-ts*

We are here to help and provide constructive info.

Let us know how you like the difference.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
406 Posts
Of those that installed night breaker have you found some drl/fog that match?
The DRLs seem to be a different type of bulb, and there are no real brighter options (from what I have found).

As for fogs, I can't speak on those because I do not have them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts