Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I will go on upgrading my stereo system in my F56
Focal KX3 speakers run by actively Audison APF 8.9 Bit - there will be construction work going on with A-pillars and door panels.

For subwoofer selection, I am a bit confused and have 2 main options :
1. Use under-seat plug&play subwoofers with a mono amp (probably 2 pieces of Match MW 8BMW-D or Audison's)
2. Put a nice normal 8-10" subwoofer with a mono amp (Probably Focal KX25 or JL Audio 8W7, or any other recommendation?)

I really need the trunk space and may prefer 1st option due to this reason. Which Plug & play subwoofer pairs would be the best choice?
1. Match MW 8BMW-D (by Audiotec Fischer) (200W RMS)
2. Audison APBMW S8-4 (150W RMS)
3. Rockford Fosgate T3-BMW-SUB (150W RMS)
4. Focal ISUB BMW 4 (90W RMS)
5. Earthquake SWS-8Xi (150W RMS)
6. Vibe OPTISOUNDBMW8-V4 (115W RMS)
7. Bavsound Ghost (160W RMS)

I have written their nominal power rates. According these figures, Match is number 1 but I don't trust the figures written by the manufacturer
The plug & play aftermarket products have limited space, no one else can provide over 150W RMS, but Match can? This does not sound right to me.
Also Match subs specs say readable frequency 25-140hz, but at the same time recommends high pass after 40hz
And I know that Focal is more than 90W RMS, can't be the worse of all.

I really got confused for selection, does any one experience of any of the above goods? You are welcome to offer other solutions.

Cheers
Ismail

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the bavsound ghost, run from the stock amp.
Compared to stock it sounds good, but no idea how it compares to the others on your list.

Dan

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the focals, they are good. I drive them in parallel (so 2 ohms) with the fifth channel of an Audison AP5.9 so 270 watts without any discomfort at high volume. I have read but have no direct experience that the Earthquakes are more of a low sub so are best used with midbass of 5" or bigger.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the Match MW 8BMW-D in my JCW. They sound really good and now my I have a weird vibration in my driver side door when the bass punches. I believe the Achilles' heel of the system is the factory amp.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much guys for reviews
I believe everybody is happy with what they are using
General review is that all is better than stock (of course) but my concern is that any under-seat sub will not satisfy my need compaired to a sub in the trunk
I am having an major improvement with the sound system, my opinion is that under-seat subwoofers will be weak compared to highs and mids of Focal KX3
I do like to have a sub, but really need the trunk usage as well. Even if I go with the smallest size sub, half of my trunk will be occupied
My dealer recommends audison's under-seat subs, will not be as good as a sub kicking from the trunk but says satisfying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Match MW 8BMW-D in my JCW. They sound really good and now my I have a weird vibration in my driver side door when the bass punches. I believe the Achilles' heel of the system is the factory amp.
Did you insulated the bottom of the subs? might be due to lack of insulation

Which amp you are running the MW 8-BMW-D
and did you have any chance to compare with others in the market?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the bavsound ghost, run from the stock amp.
Compared to stock it sounds good, but no idea how it compares to the others on your list.

Dan
Bavsound is not available in my country, but I can import
I think running with the stock amp does not show the full capability of the aftermarket subs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the focals, they are good. I drive them in parallel (so 2 ohms) with the fifth channel of an Audison AP5.9 so 270 watts without any discomfort at high volume. I have read but have no direct experience that the Earthquakes are more of a low sub so are best used with midbass of 5" or bigger.
It seems really a good setup, enjoy man
270watts output fully gained by the amp? I think the gain of the amp is low
Did you have any chance to compare with others in the market?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Did you have any chance to compare with others in the market?
No. It is very difficult to find anyone who has compared even 2 of the subs available. While doing my research only dealers seem to have any experience and they recommend what they stock of course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts