Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a torn here.

I'll be having some extra money to buy myself a christmas gift this year..

Should I jump on getting the NM Power Module?

Or strive for a nice brand new set of sexy wheels?

Appearance or Performance?

Sigh...

· Registered
769 Posts
Tough call, I guess it depends on what you're after. I've avoided the power modules and tunes because I don't get to tap into them enough to make it worthwhile. The extra horsepower only gets me to the next traffic signal quicker. My tires are always in use so I would probably upgrade those to something with more grip than the factory runflats. To me a bigger, better offset wheel/tire combo has more benefit. YMMV....

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tough call, I guess it depends on what you're after. I've avoided the power modules and tunes because I don't get to tap into them enough to make it worthwhile. The extra horsepower only gets me to the next traffic signal quicker. My tires are always in use so I would probably upgrade those to something with more grip than the factory runflats. To me a bigger, better offset wheel/tire combo has more benefit. YMMV....
You bring a very valid opinion.. God. Now i'm more torn than I was before.

I'm constantly in the throttle looking for that next rush!

At the same time though... Every time I step out of the car I look back at it and wish it had nicer wheels and even better tires..

· Registered
226 Posts
NM module 100%...wheels look good but you only notice them when you're outside the car...the added power from the module will put a smile on your face everytime you drive the car?...it's crazy the difference...and it's way cheaper than wheels too!

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Do you feel the need, the need for speed or the flashy wheels? Or, perhaps a combination of better tires and the module. The runcraps really do need to be replaced with a decent handling, quieter, and smoother riding tire. For all around use I really like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Good handling, good ride, quiet, and decent grip. If all else fails set up a dart board and put wants on it and toss the dart!

· Registered
615 Posts
If you are not sure then perhaps dont rush your decision.

Not sure where you are located but here in UK in the start of winter, new wheels will just get dirty and not look great and extra power you wont be able to put down without wheel spin so I would perhaps wait until spring and get both done ;)

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
1,243 Posts
If you go with lighter vs pretty when it comes to wheels you will see an improvement in performance because of less unsprung/rotational weight. Or you can go with NM wheels like I did and get the looks and light weight. That being said, I bought the NM module first and upgraded the wheels, tires, and suspension later.

· Registered
4,868 Posts
Boy that is a tuff one. Do you know anybody that has the Power Module installed so you could take the car for a spin? I know several people that ordered the module and removed it after several weeks because they did not like it. If you decide on the module find a vendor that will take it back within 30 Days no questions ask. Good Luck and send us pics of them flashy wheels.:D:D

· Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Boy that is a tuff one. Do you know anybody that has the Power Module installed so you could take the car for a spin? I know several people that ordered the module and removed it after several weeks because they did not like it. If you decide on the module find a vendor that will take it back within 30 Days no questions ask. Good Luck and send us pics of them flashy wheels.:D:D
That's odd. I know several people with the NM module on an S or JCW and they all love it. I won't get rid of mine until I get an ECU tune, and that's a ways away. They are seldom found for sale in the classifieds across several forums because they don't usually sell them unless they're changing cars or going with an ECU tune. What's not to like about an instant power multiplier?

· Super Moderator
8,919 Posts
As Vetsvette says; the mini challenge has no extra power-what they did do is add better stickier tyres, lighter wheels and adjustable suspension; an akra exhaust will also save that all important weight! Sorry we are all adding to the conundrum but with the wheels you might get both-the looks plus a faster car and better handling due the weight saving!

· Registered
226 Posts
Yea I prefer the motorsport look too...and one piece forged they are pretty light for 18's...I was going to powder coat them but when I got them and saw the quality of the finish I don't think I want to touch then haha
. Same wheels and same exact car except mines not lowered!

Sent from my XP7700 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,082 Posts
BBS LM's are one of my favorite wheels...of course they won't fit a JCW without some manipulation! BBS's are very pricey too, so that's a great look for a lot less $!

· Registered
386 Posts
If money is limited, I think I would rank my mods in this order:
1 - NM or Dinan module ... this is an instant reward with no loss in driveability and will not overpower the stock suspension or tires ... just a nice upgrade for little $$$
2 - Better tires ... makes a huge difference by itself
3 - NM lightweight wheels ... big difference in feel overall, but needs tires as well so this is not a low-cost upgrade

Regardless, have fun and enjoy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.