Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am starting to get an odour from my air con for a couple of minutes after turning it on, it then goes normal.

It's not the usual "bad" smell you can sometimes get with air con, but more synthetic or a solvent type smell, does anyone else have this ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi,

I am starting to get an odour from my air con for a couple of minutes after turning it on, it then goes normal.

It's not the usual "bad" smell you can sometimes get with air con, but more synthetic or a solvent type smell, does anyone else have this ?
I just had my R56 're-gassed' as coolant had all but run out and there was a very noticeable odour for the first few weeks. A bit chemical. It passed however.
Give it a couple of weeks, it's probably just the new coolant gas.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I had that last weekend during a longish run with the A/C on.

I thought mavbe the pollen filter, if there is one!, was somehow perfumed.

It was a sweetish smell, and I checked under the bonnet for petrol smells after I got home but there weren't any.

Some screen wash fluids smell a bit like it, but it hasn't come back, so far, touch wood!

Maybe the A/C was overfilled, if that is possible, or something like that.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Slightly different, but on the topic of smell - I noticed a nasty sort of oil burning smell in my MCD yesterday. It hasn't appeared since - and there's a chance it was from outside somewhere. But has anyone else had this? Temperature was ok (first thing I checked!!).

·
Registered
890 Posts
Only smell from mine is 'new car smell' - priceless !! - If only you could bottle it !!

Why can't someone copy that smell and sell it?

I see Magic Tree etc sell their version of the "new car smell" but it ain't the same by a long way, not to me anyway.

I just love that smell.

My last new car was a Toyota that was actually made in Japan, and I got it after a 6 week sea journey to the UK and all it smelt of was ship diesel and a bit of PDI polish. Downer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just dropped my '15 MCS off at the dealer for this. A friend with a '15 MC four door also had the same problem about a month ago. The dealer said a TSB was recently released for this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
yes, I had same problem with mine. after 6 times servis they 'decided to solve' the problem. The problem is coming from product. Last time I left different service last time, thet find really important product problem and they changed all part of air contional.

The summery is I am really upset and disappointed about new mini. I bought 8 months ago and 2 months of this time it stayed in car service.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi,

I had read about similar problems with others a few months back. Then it happened to me too. For a few minutes after turning car on, the a/c smelled moldy then went away.

When I took it in for its first oil change, they told me a new filter had been issued. The new filter is made of a different material that resists mold better. Basically, they had to take my entire dashboard out to replace this filter. Since I've got the extended warranty, it was $0. It hasn't smelled since the filter was replaced almost 2 months ago.

For reference, I have a 2015 F56 MC. Ordered mid July 2014, picked up mid October 2014.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Mine started doing this off and on last week for the 1st since I got the car 4 month ago it is really not that bad yet. I will let them look at it when I bring the car in for an oil change till than I set of old sneakers under the Passenger Seat will take care of the problem for now.:D

·
Registered
186 Posts
yes, I had same problem with mine. after 6 times servis they 'decided to solve' the problem. The problem is coming from product. Last time I left different service last time, thet find really important product problem and they changed all part of air contional.

The summery is I am really upset and disappointed about new mini. I bought 8 months ago and 2 months of this time it stayed in car service.
Known issue with F55/F56 models built up until April 2015. It had to do with a defective coating on the AC evaporator that would allow bacteria to form, resulting in a damp smell when the AC came on.

Sounds to me like your dealer's service department sucks! The few people I know locally who had this issue had it repaired, no problems, no questions immediately when presented. They'd heard of the issue, got the parts and got it done.
Annette

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think...
If you were running your A/C for a while and maybe after a day or two you turn it on it could just be the water (condensation) drying up after you turn on the A/C which is probably why it only lasts a couple of minutes after you start up the A/C. What i usually do after i run my A/C for a while i open up the windows and turn off the A/C but leave the fan running, then after a minute or two the vents in the car start to get wet. I think this is why I dont get a smell after i start my air conditioner but its just a theory and good luck brah

·
Registered
59 Posts
BoCRon has hit nail on head. I took my car to dealer after the mold smell on my mini cooper s (2015) became really strong. Technician came out of service dept after a minute and said the smell was overwhelming, and that there is indeed a service bulletin from mini on it. The evaporator has to be changed out as per BoCRon's post. Evaporator ordered, waiting for it to arrive. Will advise if the dealer resolves the issue.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts