Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like that Rear View Camera systems will be new standard equipment for all countries around the world soon. USA & Canada compliance for 2018. The 2017 Countryman here, has the Rear View Camera as being a Standard feature.

All cars made after May 2018 must have rear-view camera systems, Transport Canada says

OTTAWA — Transport Canada says new cars and small trucks will have to be equipped with rear-view camera systems starting in May 2018.

The new regulations have been formally posted in the Canada Gazette for a 75-day comment period.

The requirement for back-up visibility brings Canadian standards in line with those in the United States.

PNG Archive
PNG ArchiveA rear view camera system offering multiple views

The department says it’s a safety measure because children, disabled persons, the elderly and others are vulnerable to back-up mishaps.

It estimates that such accidents killed 27 people and injured more than 1,500 from 2004 to 2009.

The new requirement applies to new light vehicles, including passenger cars, light trucks, three-wheelers and small vans and buses.

“This helps children be seen and provides Canadians with one of the best safety technology systems to reduce back-over collisions,” Transport Minister Marc Garneau said in a statement.

The United States made a similar announcement in 2014, with a 2018 deadline for compliance.

“The objective of this proposal is to align the Canadian and United States safety regulations, to provide Canadians with the same level of protection under the law related to back-over crashes offered to residents of the United States and to satisfy vehicle manufacturers’ call to eliminate regulatory differences between Canada and the United States,” Transport Canada said.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wouldn't that also mean all mini will have to include visual boost as standard ?
They have already started with the convertible, Clubman, and Countryman. Looking at the US configurator last night the F56 has Connected + Visual Boost now standard equipment with the base display nowhere to be found.

Personally I don't mind it being required. I have had too many near misses where people nearly backed into me.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I don't like this sort of thing being forced upon us... if it becomes mandatory it's the consumer that pays for it. I hear that it's a safety issue, but it's still a human being (so far) driving so they still have to pay attention and use it properly.

Keep this across the pond please, or in the EU perhaps, we won't be in there much longer anyway.

·
Super Moderator
8,208 Posts
Crazy all this kit means drivers pay less sttention to.....driving and let the tech take over.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nanny government at it again, "please protect me from myself"!
Not a big issue for me... You can just ignore the cam if it comes on your next automobile. I rather like the rear-view cam on my Audi and will factory order my new Mini with the feature! :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think a better idea would be to have a Remus style exhaust the shoots 3 foot of flame out of the back when you are in reverse. That would make the buggers move.........>:D
LOL - FLAME? This reminds me... Quite a number of years ago, my brother mounted an old school Lucas "Flamethrower" driving lamp on the back bumper of his Volvo 122S. It was wired with a toggle switch on his dash so he could "Flame" anyone driving close behind him with their brights on!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Not a big issue for me... You can just ignore the cam if it comes on your next automobile. I rather like the rear-view cam on my Audi and will factory order my new Mini with the feature! :)
The issue is a government and/or big industry deciding what mandatory equipment I must have on my vehicle without truly empirical data to validate their decision and requiring me, a consumer, to pay for it. If I had it, which I don't on the mini I most likely would not use it. As an option I do not have an issue with it. I do have it on my C7, but I really don't like it or use it even with a more limited rearward vision than the mini.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts