Mini Cooper Forum banner

All MINI Navigation Map Updates (Europe 2019/2020)

209K views 841 replies 265 participants last post by  bvdixanv 
The RAR file is an archive that needs to be extracted. Basically the same as a zip file in terms of functionality but a different format. Applications like WinRAR or 7zip are able to extract the contents.

Guys can someone remind me how to 'unpack' the rar files to put on USB. I've purchased the maps from OEM and downloaded 5 x rar folders(Parts 1 to 5) from their cloud. I've extracted Part 1 using WinRar which took ages into a new folder on my PC. I've then gone to extract the others which appear to contain the some of the same named files from the Part 1 so I've ignored them and these folders have unzipped in seconds.

Is this correct? I've got no instructions what to do this time
You should only need to extract "part 1" as the archive sees the rest as sequential parts of the same archive.(It should complain if the other parts are absent) It's a split archive to get around single file size limitations on some older disk file systems. (Individual files on a FAT32 drive can't be over 4 GB in size and the older FAT16 can't be over 2GB) This is not really a thing anymore so I've got no idea why they're still doing it.

Funnily enough, here in NL (and I guess elsewhere) we now have (or have had, I don't always pay attention) the option to download map updates ourselves, via a tool.
Check it out.

This is for a 12/2019 build Clubman. To find it, go to the mini website (for your country)

I notice they don't really draw attention on how to do this. I also noticed my car autoupdated itself with the 2021-2 maps for my region, which is what triggered me to check this out.
I've just done mine via the same method on the uk site and it's all working great.

What's the link for the UK website please?
Not sure if it will work as the address appears to contain some necessaries that may be unique to the pc being used but here it is.
Link

If it doesn't work, just go to the uk mini website and click on the person icon at the top right. (It sometimes seems to hide, but it's there next to the magnifying glass)

It pops up this when clicked.

Once you jump through all the hoops to register, you can add your vehicle by clicking the person icon again and then clicking add vehicle. You will need to use your VIN number either from the windscreen or your V5. Both mine and dad's clubman required a verification code which is sent from BMW/Mini to the car itself and can be picked up off the central screen.

Once you have the vehicle added, you can go to your vehicle and find the map update section.

Then you click on "to manual map update". Download the tool and hopefully it should be plain sailing. I applied the update downloaded via this method to both our cars today. It took about 15 mins.