Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,

Has anyone tried these Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen-3. Enkel € 127,<sup>40</sup> on the Coop? they have good reviews.

Looking for something good on wet (rains a lot here in NL in winter) and a good overall tyre i can drive on snowy highways as well...

also, would they work with the pressure sensor thing? Currently i have the Pirelli Cinturato c2 Runflat and i did almost 53.000 km with - unlike other people here on the forum, i'm very happy with them and actually still not finished yet (swapped once front and rear).

thanks,
Gab

·
Registered
34 Posts
I used to have an Audi A3 and used Pirelli All Season tires in Switzerland where it gets very very snowy. They were amazing and would 100% recommend them. I heard good things about Michelin Crossclimates but i havent tried them. Im now back in the UK and just fitted Nokian All Weather Plus tires to my Mini F55 which seem good so far but the weather hasn’t really tested them here. The TPMS(pressure monitor thing!) was fine.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Friday I am getting the Pirelli All Season SF2s on my car. If I can ditch the need for winter rims (yeah yeah, salt bad, I know. I clean my car a lot ;) ) then yeah, I'll be happy.
When i was in Switzerland i bought an Audi Q2 and used my Audis 19 inch rims in Summer and Winter. Never understood the need to change rims. I just changed tyres and stored the ones not in use at the garage that changed the tyres for me. It's easier to do, but i guess if you have storage, keep & change your rims at home then it might be easier to have other rims for each change over.

Good luck with the Pirellis, i loved mine when i had the Audi A3.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just read reviews of the All Season Pirelli, Pirelli Cinturato All Season SF 2. Enkel € 122,<sup>60</sup> i am so impressed now plus your feedback here, i think i will take those. I loved my "normal" cinturato these must be good indeed! only difference is that they are not in W speed (270 kmh) that i have now... V (240 km/h) should be enough anyway unless you go AutoBahn hehe

·
Registered
151 Posts
i just read reviews of the All Season Pirelli, Pirelli Cinturato All Season SF 2. Enkel € 122,<sup>60</sup> i am so impressed now plus your feedback here, i think i will take those. I loved my "normal" cinturato these must be good indeed! only difference is that they are not in W speed (270 kmh) that i have now... V (240 km/h) should be enough anyway unless you go AutoBahn hehe
At least for my tire size, the speed rating is Y, so 300km/h

Should be good enough ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow those are huge mate, i only have 17' 205/45' - and already have always to be careful on parking and sidewalks eh eh for those side scratches, sometimes you see wheels so scratched you could scrape off some parmigiano eh eh

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi guys,

So i checked with my Mini dealer where i usually do maintenance (as i am due the 60k KM check soon) and asked if they can price match these Pirelli All Season with the online price... answered me with something along the lines of:

We cannot supply those tyres and they do not meet the BMW / MINI test requirements and suggested to fit the Bridgestone A 005 EVO for a whopping 715€, versus the online price of the Pirelli all of about 500€ + fitting - to me this sounds a bit BS, i've asked if that's because they are only in V and they said no, also said "we have had experience with people buying old stock online or tyres with high impact (whatever that means)..............a tyre is a tyre and a professional dealer should balance the tyre no matter the brand.

Is there some hidden mystery in having a set of tyres installed at the official mini shop? I rather spend 200€ extra somewhere else ;) thanks

·
Super Moderator
8,024 Posts
No spend your money elsewhere-as long as the speed rating is up to the spec of the car and the load rating-BMW stipulate high load, (from memory is it XL) then you can put any tyre on there of the correct size. They put a star on some -their preferred or approved makes but it's all baloney tbh! We have Hankook winters-all correct load and speed rating-when they mot it they always put tyres' not Mini spec' but tell us to ignore that!

Reactions: pilotwoo

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
108 Posts
A couple of things:

1. I used the Goodyear Vector 4Season tyres on previous cars (Yeti, XC60) in 1st and 2nd generation versions and loved them. I used them year-round and they lasted well through the summers and gripped well in the winter. I'd happily use them again.
  2. Winter wheels are useful to have (rather than just changing tyres) for many reasons:
    1. They tend to be steel, which means they bend if they catch a kerb or pothole rather than alloy which can crack, leaving you stranded. This also saves your bigger alloys from possible accident damage by side-swiping a kerb or similar.
    2. They tend to be smaller, meaning cheaper tyres.
    3. They tend to be smaller, meaning a larger profile tyre which can be run at a lower pressure meaning a greater contact patch.
As I said though, I replaced the OEM tyres with 4Seasons and ran them year-round - one set lasted over 40,000 miles through two summers and winters.

·
Registered
81 Posts
One of my 195/55 16 tyres was getting a bit worn and yesterday another got an unrepairable puncture. The other 2 are just over 3mm. So decision made to replace the whole set with Michelin Cross Climate 2.
BlackCircles.com quoted approx £122 per tyre inclusive of everything. Mini wanted £160 per corner but settled on £132 after haggling. So an extra £40 overall but no worries about tpms sensors getting damaged by an independent tyre fitter or not resetting and having to take it to Mini afterwards at great expense. Also, the whole tpms system is currently not working and the message is to take it to a Dealer. It was fine before I took the car in for service a week ago so I don't know what killed it, the Service or the puncture last night which didn't spring an alert on the dash. Hopefully a warranty issue.

·
Registered
151 Posts
So, to add a couple more things

For a JCW Clubman
  • Winter wheel sets are still like 1500 euros. 18 inch. Tire costs will still be high later
  • They aren't steel.
  • Not much more profile

The cost of the Pirellis vastly outweighed new rims and tires. I also don't care what BMW/Mini say about what tires I fit. I cannot see how they would not be able to stand behind their warranty. I'll take that challenge.

As for how they are going, well, COVID means not a lot of driving but things I've noticed (with the SF2s) is that it's quieter, sharper steering but otherwise, quite similar. Also transmit a bit more of the uneven road into the car (little bit more jiggling around) and less crashing. So, trade one thing for another. I can live with it.

Happy camper.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts