Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got the silver 17 inch turbo fan wheels on mine. Although I love the car to bits I keep thinking the alloys look a little too small for the car.
So what do you guys think of 18 inch alloys plus as a long shot would countryman / paceman alloys fit being that there 5 studs or will the studs not line up?

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 17 look right for the MINI. The 18 look a bit racer Honda Civic style. So it it depends on your look and age. I have both a set of 17 black track spoke and a set of alloy 17 race spoke on a child red JCW with black roof.

Without a doubt the 17 alloy rim set looks best to my eye. I like the 2015 JCW aggressive look but I like the car to still have the MINI iconic look. Black rims screams too modern and just doesn't work aesthetically but it does give the car a much more racer-boy aggressive look!

To give you an idea of my taste - I still like my 25 year old Rolex Daytona - so I prefer classic timeless styles rather than the latest 50th anniversary ice blue and chocolate monstrosity that will be forgotten tomorrow and remain only as a collectors piece due to its exceptional ugliness.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It's really up to personal preference in the end...has nothing to do with what is proper for "the MINI look". That being said, I struggled mightily with choosing wheels for my 2015 JCW, since the wheel styles and sizes were so "extremely limited"...due to the huge Brembos on the front.

Initially, on the MINI configurator, I chose the 17" silver track spoke wheels, since they seemed to be as close to the classic MINI look, having silver spokes. Lets face it, the multi-spoke silver wheels "are" the classic MINI wheel!

Unfortunately, the 17's just look too small on the beefier F56 body style. That's not just my opinion...I've read this in many reviews of the F56. If I had my druthers, I'd most likely go with an 18" multi-spoke silver wheel, but there are none produced as of yet that clear the Brembos on the JCW! I'm waiting on BBS!

The two-tone 18" Cup Spoke wheels are a happy medium imo, as they look proper size on the car (although the tire width could be wider) and they really look nice on every color & model MINI I've seen them on. They were designed to fit the JCW, but similar designs (with open vanes) like the 19" wheels for the Countryman look just as nice. The curvature of the spokes may also vary by model....I'm not sure on that.

For a MINI Cooper of MCS, I'd go with 18" Cone Spoke Wheels (or the Cosmos if they could make them in 18"). The 17's may look fine on certain color cars, but the larger wheels generally fit the F56 better overall.

Everyone has their opinion...that's mine. :)

Good luck,

John

Reactions: pjsjr13

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see both points of view here for 17s and 18s. Some days i look and think yea 17s are good then I agree with o2 fanatic that 18d suit the body work. I've got the silver turbofan wheels (I think that's easy are called) on my Mrs which is the light metallic blue with white roof, mirrors and white bonnet stripes so was thinking of white 18s again the turbo fan type. Can I find any (apart from fleebay in Germany) no!!!!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Will post some pictures of my 18" soon, also some wheels

Just want to do the belt line before posting any pics here

Vanity spokes are very bling

·
Registered
502 Posts
Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
48 Posts
18 506 cross spoke alloys

Got mine on my ex dealer demonstor 2014 SD as the dealer had fitted them ...

Really like them.

Keeping the air pressure correct is important as narrow tyre depth...

Also I only have to think about a curb and I pick up some damage to the wheels!

Attachments

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have these too, they really suit thunder grey cooper s

Might be for sale soon,
I want winter rubber as I live on a hill, and considering buying 2 sets of 17
I think they are well over 1k as a dealer option so need to decide on a more realistic [email protected]

http://www.alloywheelsdirect.net/mi...or_alloys/18_mini_504_vanity_spoke_wheel_4645

With the Dunlop runflats tyres, sensors and wheel caps you get a bit of change from 2k .....that's just mental
These will be for sale after the weekend, looking for offers very close to 1k complete with 7/5-6mm tyres and Tpms sensors and mini wheel caps

I'm looking to sell complete, list price as sold on this site would be £1875.00
Feel free to shout if your happy to px new boxed BMW aka Siemens vdo Tpms sensors
and we can do something on the price, if someone just wants the wheels and not the tyres thats a negation point with the next owners as I already have a garage full of rubber so no space for any more

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.