Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, so I'm very much mechanically inclined. I've been working on cars most of my life. MINIS are definitely a different animal for me, so I'm more cautious with what I choose to do. I have a 2015 JCW 2.0 engine w/75k mi. I've owned for 6 months now. I would like to save as much money as I can on maintenance and upgrades. 1st on list is fluids. I did 2 oil changes to be anal. Now I'm going to change the transmission fluid, my jaw dropped when I saw $40-$50 USD. Is there an alternative to MINI ATF 6 ? I'm trying to research but no other manufacturer has a specific ATF 6 , I want good stuff, don't get me wrong. I want the best product without paying for the MINI name.

·
Registered
2017 Mini Cooper S
15 Posts
I just changed mine last week at 40k miles and was glad I did due to the amount of metal flakes which came out. I used Febi Bilstein ATF 6 which ECS Tuning says is an OES supplier for MINI. (Actually, ECS was out of stock but I found Pelican Parts also carries it.) Depending where you purchase, its $11-13/liter vs $48 for OEM.

I found this procedure on NAM helpful: see reply #52 in this thread: Automatic Transmission Fluid Question - North American Motoring
and a video on YouTube. It was my first time changing any cars ATF fluid and it was fairly easy and quick.

You'll need a 17mm Hex Bit Socket to remove the drain plug and Torx wrenches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just changed mine last week at 40k miles and was glad I did due to the amount of metal flakes which came out. I used Febi Bilstein ATF 6 which ECS Tuning says is an OES supplier for MINI. (Actually, ECS was out of stock but I found Pelican Parts also carries it.) Depending where you purchase, its $11-13/liter vs $48 for OEM.

I found this procedure on NAM helpful: see reply #52 in this thread: Automatic Transmission Fluid Question - North American Motoring
and a video on YouTube. It was my first time changing any cars ATF fluid and it was fairly easy and quick.

You'll need a 17mm Hex Bit Socket to remove the drain plug and Torx wrenches.
That's awesome! Thanks. How many liters did yours take? I think I saw roughly 3-4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts