Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to get my MOT Done (great way for the main dealer to check out your car free of charge) and they told me alternator wearing out along with pulleys etc (i know drive belt was worn and a bit noisy, so this is from there).

Quoted me 1960 GBP as everything would have to be changed. I think I will just keep on driving until it breaks then go to an indie.

Will MINI give a goodwill discount you feel? Anyone else having alternator issues?

My Start and Stop works less than it used to, otherwise no ill effects. Battery normal.

Car is a 2016 Cooper D with 70k miles.

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is pretty poor and the quoted price seems ludicrous. Have you owned this car from new, if so I would pursue this with Mini.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought it used from Mini Approved Used.

I am inclined to just keep on driving it for now. If I start having problems I will think again.

Halfords Auto Center told me something in the region of 500 GBP to change everything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The alternator is "wearing out"? What does that mean?
Basically the make 12 volts, or they don't
And while an alternator dying isn't that uncommon, I've never heard of one being replaced because the pulley wore out.
A third party one is reasonable, but yeah, really expensive from the dealer.
You might want a second opinion

dan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Third party (Halfords Autocenter do a free 'vehicle check') said the pully is worn out and the belt also normal wear and tear. They suggested if you change the pullies you might as well change the belt + the alternator, but that it is not urgent.

So i'll continue with the driving then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
They try to rip you off.
I am working on cars for 40 years. Bearings wear out, not alternators our a pully. That can happen by revolutions (wear) our improper use (load). If a bearing is out, you hear a whine or a grinding sound.
In a normal situation they last 200k+ kilometers. If they are worn, have them replaced by a proper garage. Not the one you are did the MOT.

The belt also wears by age, replace them at least every 100k or within 6 years.

Go to a proper garage and ask them to replace the belt. Don’t wait for is to fail.

How many miles on your Mini ?

Adam

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They try to rip you off.
I am working on cars for 40 years. Bearings wear out, not alternators our a pully. That can happen by revolutions (wear) our improper use (load). If a bearing is out, you hear a whine or a grinding sound.
In a normal situation they last 200k+ kilometers. If they are worn, have them replaced by a proper garage. Not the one you are did the MOT.

The belt also wears by age, replace them at least every 100k or within 6 years.

Go to a proper garage and ask them to replace the belt. Don’t wait for is to fail.

How many miles on your Mini ?

Adam
thanks for responding.

i am at 112000 km, 2016 model.
i do drive quite aggrssively, you only notice the noise from a noisy idle otherwise you wouldn’t notice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts