Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all.

The new UI is out.

Ndal2 helped me out with this, if you’re interested.

EDIT: Updated to include some images of the sport theme as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
I always wondered if this was available via coding. There seems to be an option for id6 lite in bimmercode. Am I close?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looks really good!
I assume it’s only compatible with 8.8 inches screens, no way to activate it on 6.6 ones?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very cool! I have no idea which headunit my car has, but it's a 2019 F57 with the 8.8" touchscreen nav. Compatible with the latest software? How about the digital cluster? I know that also received software updates with LCI2.

·
Registered
36 Posts
On one hand I REALLY want this because it's the latest and greatest - on the other, I wonder if the previous refresh isn't a better aesthetic choice for the vibe of the MINI. I'm still pining to replace my 2017 8.8" Nav with the mid-cycle CarPlay so I'm definitely not judging but OP, what do you think so far? Does being super pretty make it any better, or do you miss the almost cartoonishly-big icon interface a little yet?

Oh and is the CarPlay fullscreen by default?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi minimongrel - I like it. I didn’t notice at first, but I now realize it’s like the BMW interface with tiles - it’s just the Mini tiles are rounded instead of square. It’s nice to have views of 3 things at once on the home screen.

For the record, it’s easy enough to use the latest firmware and still code it to look like the immediately preceding interface. If I decided I didn’t like this, it’s very easy from a coding perspective to switch it back.

With respect to Carplay, my headunit was a retrofit and fullscreen CarPlay was enabled as part of the retrofit process. To my knowledge, it doesn’t cost anymore (or it shouldn’t) to prepare a retrofit headunit with full screen CarPlay versus split screen CarPlay. All that said, as my headunit is a retrofit and I never tried not to have fullscreen CarPlay, So I don’t know if that’s a default or not. Does that make sense?

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi minimongrel - I like it. I didn’t notice at first, but I now realize it’s like the BMW interface with tiles - it’s just the Mini tiles are rounded instead of square. It’s nice to have views of 3 things at once on the home screen.

For the record, it’s easy enough to use the latest firmware and still code it to look like the immediately preceding interface. If I decided I didn’t like this, it’s very easy from a coding perspective to switch it back.

With respect to Carplay, my headunit was a retrofit and fullscreen CarPlay was enabled as part of the retrofit process. To my knowledge, it doesn’t cost anymore (or it shouldn’t) to prepare a retrofit headunit with full screen CarPlay versus split screen CarPlay. All that said, as my headunit is a retrofit and I never tried not to have fullscreen CarPlay, So I don’t know if that’s a default or not. Does that make sense?

Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Can you explain a little bit about the retrofit CarPlay head unit that you have done? I want to do it soon but I still don’t know what to look for. Also, I prefer to stay with the non touch screen 8.8 (just because of costs). But still don’t know if it is possible to enable CarPlay without touch screen.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you explain a little bit about the retrofit CarPlay head unit that you have done? I want to do it soon but I still don’t know what to look for. Also, I prefer to stay with the non touch screen 8.8 (just because of costs). But still don’t know if it is possible to enable CarPlay without touch screen.
Hi eyalco101. I’ll pm you more details, but the headunit you need to reliably run the firmware that supports CarPlay will only support a non-touchscreen through the 18-03 version of the firmware. Newer firmware versions will require the touchscreen. The interface on the 18-03 firmware is a little different than the one immediately preceding the 21-03 version. It’s also worth noting that Minis didn’t support fullscreen CarPlay until the 20-07 firmware, so if you want to stick with the non-touch screen, you can’t have fullscreen CarPlay.

I’ll write more soon by pm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh yes that looks great. I wonder how many car skins are in that UI - I'm working out numbers with Ndal2 and hoping a visual for F57 arrives. I don't suppose this is your paint color?

·
Premium Member
2020 Mini Electric Cooper S - Level 2 - White Silver / Energetic Yellow
487 Posts
How do I get both my screens on my Mini EV on the new software? I only have the 6 inch nav screen so I suppose it’s out of the question.

·
Registered
2020 Mini Cooper S Sport Auto
171 Posts
@Parky14 I have the smaller nav screen and can see sit view between map and entertainment details on Apple Car Play, although on a smaller scale to the above.
If you click on the dots in the bottom corner it will scroll through a screen with the apps, one screen showing whatever app you’ve selected and then the split screen option.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts