Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all - sorry if this has already been raised before but I couldn't find anything specific. I've had my Mini Cooper D for nearly a year now and love him to bits. I've recently changed my phone from an iPhone to a Samsung S6 and am having trouble connecting it via USB. With hindsight I realise how daft it was not to check compatibility as I very naively thought I'd just be able to connect via the USB (as I did with the iPhone) and it would function the same. Does anyone know a way round this - I'm not sure if there's an app available which would make it work (or is that just wishful thinking??)...or is Bluetooth the only way?

I don't have Mini Connect (I definitely regret not getting it at the time) but do have the controls on the steering wheel

Thanks!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have an older Samsung. The note 2. I think they are really having problems keeping up with all the different phone technology. My note does well. I get text messages and it recognized my music... No email but I think seeing a text is fine while driving. Email can wait. But I do have the mini connected. My husband has an Iphone and a bmw. He can't get the text features on his. I think the whole idea of connections with the phone and car are great. But I don't know if true across the board compatibility will ever be possible just because of so many formats.

I had a 2012 mini without mini connected and I never did anything but charge my phone with it. My music never connected properly.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have limited knowledge of Android phones, but I'll try my best:

Make sure you're connected via MTP and not just charging. When your phone is plugged in, swipe down from the notification bar and you should see something like USB mode or settings. Tap that and make sure MTP is checked.

Reactions: louisella

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both - I'm not too worried about not being able to see text messages etc, the only thing really that I want to connect it for is music really mainly Spotify.

Siriuszero - thanks for the tip, I'll try that when I'm in the car tomorrow.

I tried streaming audio via bluetooth this evening but even that wouldn't pick up - the stereo would only recognise my phone for calls :(

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Thanks both - I'm not too worried about not being able to see text messages etc, the only thing really that I want to connect it for is music really mainly Spotify.

Siriuszero - thanks for the tip, I'll try that when I'm in the car tomorrow.

I tried streaming audio via bluetooth this evening but even that wouldn't pick up - the stereo would only recognise my phone for calls :(
Strange that BT audio isn't working... When you go to select Bluetooth audio on the MINI, does your phone not show up at all?

EDIT: Just noticed your original post said you DON'T have MINI Connected, so you just have the base radio, correct? In which case, BT Audio is not supported.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have the Connected package, which allows the Mini Connected app for Android to communicate with the car. As far as I know, without the Connected package, you don't have access to bluetooth connectivity (as has been said) and the app won't be able to connect to the car. I have an Android myself (LG G2), so I feel your pain at how much less polished the media connectivity experience is between a Mini and Android as compared to iPhones. It's frustrating, since I used to have a $20 or so bluetooth over FM accessory in my older car and it just worked.

The outputs over the headphone jack (AUX), bluetooth and USB are standard across Android devices. The variety of handsets out there are not causing any difficulty. Mini just needs to step up to the plate & get media connectivity figured out.

There's a helpful video on the Mini USA website about the audio & electronics for cars without Mini Connected. It looks like it's for the 2014 model (Will they ever make ones for 2015? But I digress.)

http://www.miniusa.com/content/mini...ty/about-your-mini.html#audio-and-electronics

Around 4:30 they get around to talking about the AUX and USB inputs. You should be able to listen to music from your phone over AUX or USB. As siriuszero said, if your phone USB mode is set to MTP the car should be able to read its music over USB. It will see the phone as a USB drive, so you can only play music you've stored on the phone over USB. You should be able to play streaming music through headphone out to the AUX port in the car.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tracey - this looks to be for the older model radio, my 2014 F56 has the newer version i.e. the speedo isn't in the centre however the radio etc display is (I'm not not sure if they're different in the US so apologies if this doesn't make any sense!).
I completely agree with you - I wish Mini would get their andoird compatibility sorted. For such a great car it's really surprised me that the function just doesn't look to work - the phone package I have with the S6 has a great data allowance so I was really looking forward to running free with Spotify on long drives - may need to re think that one now :)

·
Registered
2022 F60 Cooper S in Sage Green
500 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but can't figure out how to set up the directory structure for playing audio files via USB and my Android LG G3 phone. The website says it's compatible but it just keeps saying no audio files. I've put them in multiple places, on both internal and external SD, as well as manipulated the folders they are in. Perhaps it doesn't like the exFAT file system? I am going to try and use a memory stick (FAT32) to see if I can get that working this weekend.

2015 Mini Cooper Base Radio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.