Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of parting ways with the iPhone 6S and getting the new Samsung Galaxy S7, any heads up on the differences in terms of media connectivity?

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Brandon, I just had to upgrade my Phone got the new Motorola Droid and I have a heck of a time to work the phone and set up Blue Tooth :( I have to learn so much on the Phone I feel sooooo old right now.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
As someone who recently made the same switch (iPhone to S7):

- Album art never works and the meta data doesn't seem to work as well as it did on my iPhone
- REALLY miss the Siri integration. Technically I can get S Voice or "Ok Google" or even Cortana to work, but Siri worked better for me
- Bluetooth audio works, but iPhone was nice in that the Apple Music app integrated much better. For example, even through BT, I could select artist/album/song/playlists from my MINI without having to mess with my phone. I really REALLY miss being able to get in my car and, without touching my phone, launch a Apple Music curated playlist or radio station from iDrive. No such integration with Android. You can skip tracks and pause, but that's about it.

That being said, text message and email integration is better on Android and Android lets you do a lot more powerful things when you hop in your car and connect to Bluetooth. For example, I can tell my phone to do a certain event or events when it connects via Tasker or similar apps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got an LG G2 Android and I've been less than happy about the inferior Mini Connected experience with Android vs. what I hear it does for iPhones. I'd recommend listing out everything you currently do with your iPhone and see if you can do that with an Android.

On the positive side, however, I thought I'd add to what siriuszero said about being able to use Tasker on Android to automatically do things. You can have Bluetooth or NFC triggers. Some ideas for what you can do with this:
- When the phone connects to the Mini over bluetooth, start up a music app
- When you touch an NFC tag (that you can program), play a playlist (you can have a few NFC tags for different playlists)

If you do a web search, there are other ideas out there for these nifty tools.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As someone who recently made the same switch (iPhone to S7):

- Album art never works and the meta data doesn't seem to work as well as it did on my iPhone
- REALLY miss the Siri integration. Technically I can get S Voice or "Ok Google" or even Cortana to work, but Siri worked better for me
- Bluetooth audio works, but iPhone was nice in that the Apple Music app integrated much better. For example, even through BT, I could select artist/album/song/playlists from my MINI without having to mess with my phone. I really REALLY miss being able to get in my car and, without touching my phone, launch a Apple Music curated playlist or radio station from iDrive. No such integration with Android. You can skip tracks and pause, but that's about it.

That being said, text message and email integration is better on Android and Android lets you do a lot more powerful things when you hop in your car and connect to Bluetooth. For example, I can tell my phone to do a certain event or events when it connects via Tasker or similar apps.
Good job I sent it back this morning then..

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the S7 Edge otherwise - I just miss the ease of connectivity I had with my iPhone in my MINI. Not really MINI's fault - There are so many Android variants out there that all interface differently it would be tough to get everything working as it should.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts