·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hi Davo,

I'd probably have a higher regard for the auto if I too spent more time behind the wheel (as did the writer of the article)...but, I've openly admitted that I didn't really know how to drive the the auto with the paddles on my test drive.....the ride was much more enjoyable for me as a passenger with somebody who really could put the JCW through its paces proper...it was awesome!

That being said, I still love my manual transmission....I cannot doze off driving the manual...even slowly, as it demands all four arms & legs to drive it. I could drive the automatic with one foot and one arm!

I'm sure we can agree that they are both GREAT! ;)

John

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I know you guys on the East coast can be a bit "special" (I've spent quite a bit of time in Philly) but four arms and legs? Wow!! You're heal-toe must be a masterpiece :)
Ha!...If I lived in Philly (well, that won't happen!) I'd seriously consider an automatic.

All kidding aside, I realize that automatics (even the old school "slow" ones) have their place. I remember when the BMW E36 M3 came out...more automatics than manuals on dealer lots (and I did not get that!)....but for urban commuting, autos fit the bill.

As long as my left leg works, I'll have a manual thank you! (I don't care how quick the auto is)..it keeps me "young"! :laugh:

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Davo,

I'd probably have a higher regard for the auto if I too spent more time behind the wheel (as did the writer of the article)...but, I've openly admitted that I didn't really know how to drive the the auto with the paddles on my test drive.....the ride was much more enjoyable for me as a passenger with somebody who really could put the JCW through its paces proper...it was awesome!

That being said, I still love my manual transmission....I cannot doze off driving the manual...even slowly, as it demands all four arms & legs to drive it. I could drive the automatic with one foot and one arm!

I'm sure we can agree that they are both GREAT! ;)

John
Couldn't agree more John after my short experience with my manual Cooper S (although I think I escaped at the right time with the recent bearing problems!!)
I was just pleased that the tester came to appreciate the auto after a longer test.

You must admit though that you still have an easier time now with the auto rev match function;)
I don't know how you find the clutch pedal travel but I always thought it was a bit long.........maybe due to angle or position possibly.Much prefer being able to stomp on the Moggie's pedal and push it to the floor:laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.