Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After finding a manufacturing problem with the bonnet on my wifes mini F55, a new bonnet was fitted. This was tied into the problem of the bonnet release not working.

Now another problem......stop/start......when the car turns itself off at traffic lights due to the stop start kicking in, it runs on for a second or two sounding rough, then cuts out.

Sounds to me that the fuel cutoff isnt working correctly causing the engine to run on a little bit...makes the whole car shake.....

Anyway, its back to Aberdeen Mini again for the second time in a fortnight....

This is our first Mini and at this rate....it may well be the last.

Weve owned a dozen brand new cars between us in the past 7 years and this is the first one to go back twice......and its only 2 months in!!

Once again credit to the guys at Aberdeen Mini, gave us a courtesy car again and will try to figure out what the problem is with the wifes car.......

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Poor you sounds very odd. Hope they look after you and you grow to love your mini like I do mine!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really hope so mate!

Cant afford to keep changing cars.....got this with the TLC pack so the wife is hoping to keep it for a good few years, but 3 problems in less than 2 months is not a great start....

Update to this.....got a call from Mini asking if I had been tuning the engine or doing something to it!! Apparently theyve found a fuel air mix fault logged in the ECU.

I do like to individualise our cars, but purely cosmetically, things like painting the calipers or replacing bulbs with LEDs.....never touch the engines tho, dont do anything that might affect insurance.

Besides, how the **** could I do anything under the bonnet? Wasnt able to open it until two weeks ago!!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Oh no :(

I'm sure they'll fix it :)

I'm currently sitting at 6 jobs in 18 months. They've sorted stuff out everytime but like you, this MINI may be my first and last. Not looking forward to owning it out of warranty if the last 18 months is anything to go by.

But I have no issues with JC :) just running back and forth to Cove all the time is a pain in the neck! As long as my car's always getting repaired with no cost to me, I'll be content.

·
Registered
890 Posts
The S model does seem to have had more than its share of unnecessary faults, which is unfortunate.

Is there any car out there that is consistently reliable, these days, like I believe Toyotas used to be, or even VWs(!!)? In this price bracket of course.

Serious question, I would like to know if there is a "good-un" out there!
Just to drive and enjoy, happy days!

My pre-Mini car was a Toyota which had a few recalls and cardboard brake discs, and very high servicing costs, but...a 5 year warranty, which would be very welcome on my Mini.

·
Registered
478 Posts
The S model does seem to have had more than its share of unnecessary faults, which is unfortunate.

Is there any car out there that is consistently reliable, these days, like I believe Toyotas used to be, or even VWs(!!)? In this price bracket of course.

Serious question, I would like to know if there is a "good-un" out there!
Just to drive and enjoy, happy days!

My pre-Mini car was a Toyota which had a few recalls and cardboard brake discs, and very high servicing costs, but...a 5 year warranty, which would be very welcome on my Mini.
All manufactures have cut costs, and that is also the case for parts suppliers to manufactures. So I would say no. The problem is we all see the problems because we are looking at a forums. We are car enthusiast, who won't accept problems, and will spot them, or we would not be here. My Mum for instance would only spot a problem when a car won't start. Most of the time new cars will have a few problems (it's normal), a few more if it's a new model, what's important is how the dealer sorts them. Good dealer = good experience = would buy again. Our Cooper is on its way back to Mini, and I am waiting for its replacement, would I buy another, yes, the dealer and Mini have been first rate.

Now if you are still getting problems long into your ownership then I can see why you would ditch the brand, but two weeks into ownership doesn't seem to be giving the car a fair chance.

·
Registered
184 Posts
All manufactures have cut costs, and that is also the case for parts suppliers to manufactures. So I would say no. The problem is we all see the problems because we are looking at a forums. We are car enthusiast, who won't accept problems, and will spot them, or we would not be here. My Mum for instance would only spot a problem when a car won't start. Most of the time new cars will have a few problems (it's normal), a few more if it's a new model, what's important is how the dealer sorts them. Good dealer = good experience = would buy again. Our Cooper is on its way back to Mini, and I am waiting for its replacement, would I buy another, yes, the dealer and Mini have been first rate.

Now if you are still getting problems long into your ownership then I can see why you would ditch the brand, but two weeks into ownership doesn't seem to be giving the car a fair chance.

Couldn't agree more I'm experiencing a problem with my jcw its a month old with 1800 miles the part can't be brought as of yet so they can't fix it no point getting mardy with them they provided me a car to use till I get mine back and service from them has been fab it sure hasn't put me of the brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh no :(

I'm sure they'll fix it :)

I'm currently sitting at 6 jobs in 18 months. They've sorted stuff out everytime but like you, this MINI may be my first and last. Not looking forward to owning it out of warranty if the last 18 months is anything to go by.

But I have no issues with JC :) just running back and forth to Cove all the time is a pain in the neck! As long as my car's always getting repaired with no cost to me, I'll be content.
My 2006 Cooper S was very reliable. I killed it by leaving the sun roof open all night during torrential rain. My recently traded-in 2011 Cooper was terrible. One thing after another; 3 window regulators, both power mirrors replaced (one replaced twice), water pump, even manual rear view mirror with that terrible rotary knob that killed my arthritis in my hand broke! The plastic gears stripped in the **** thing. Warranty ended August and I got the lovely engine warning light in yellow. 4 ignition coils replaced as well as an oil pressure solenoid: total about $1150. I traded it in one day later for a new left-over 2015 Cooper S in Electric Blue with white top. EXTENDED WARRANTY!!! I'm optimistic! I am hoping the 2011 was not the norm. I still love MINI. Nothing like it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm,
Dont really agree with your comments guys.

In the past many years, having owned the following from new between my wife and I...
Fiesta ST
Vw Scirocco
Vw Polo (x2)
Hyundai i10
Seat Leon
Vw Golf (x2)
BMW M135i
RR Evoque
Audi S3
Mini Cooper

Only the RR Evoque and the Mini have had to revisit the dealer...and the Mini has now been twice.

To say modern car owners should expect problems is totally wrong in my experience - in fact, generally the newer the car, the more reliable it has been - thats why the Mini is proving such a disappointment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree. The quality is not what it should be. I had a 2008 plate basic Mini Cooper which didn't have a single problem in seven years. Bought a MCS and it needed an engine replacement and there were other smaller issues. Am picking up my replacement car today so hopefully it will be hassle free motoring!

I'm really dissapointed about my MCS quality... I expected some more details and reliability than the other cars/brands owned...

remember we'are paying a big amount of money....

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Hmm,
Dont really agree with your comments guys.

In the past many years, having owned the following from new between my wife and I...
Fiesta ST
Vw Scirocco
Vw Polo (x2)
Hyundai i10
Seat Leon
Vw Golf (x2)
BMW M135i
RR Evoque
Audi S3
Mini Cooper

Only the RR Evoque and the Mini have had to revisit the dealer...and the Mini has now been twice.

To say modern car owners should expect problems is totally wrong in my experience - in fact, generally the newer the car, the more reliable it has been - thats why the Mini is proving such a disappointment.
Prior to my MINI kugaman, I owned four Peugeots over 14 years (all bought from Nook Garage in Hatton) ... and I could count recalls/warranty jobs over those 14 years on one hand! (The RCZ latterly had one warranty job from Gilanders). Whereas the MINI is 6 jobs in 18 months. Should've stayed loyal to Peugeot. Learnt my lesson there........

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Think you've been lucky kugaman. We've had four minis in the last six years all totally reliable.touch wood. In contrast our Hyundai i20 drove us to despair as did my golf r32. My mother's Toyota avensis has had two recalls and a rubbish electric handbrake gone wrong twice in 3 years. Modern electronics take some blame I think.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Once I watched 'Building Cars live' I came to the conclusion that it's inevitable that there is going be a few duffers with the amount the factory are producing. I find the main use of the these forums is to report/discuss/fix our issues ... it would be a boring forum if everyone posted about problems and all we saw was pretty photos.

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's the law of averages. So yes you can have a car without fault, and you can have a car with more than average faults, but there is a very clear league table of faults per 100 vehicles made, which JD Power / What Car publishes.

UK 2015 Results gives an Industry average of 115 faults per 100 vehicles. Mini 105 slightly above average, Peugeots 99 (better than Mini but not by much), Ford 111, VW 95 (but they must have cheated that one), Hyundai 117, BMW 196, Audi 169 and Land Rover 152. Top of the class Skoda at 77 and Bottom Chevrolet at 288.

Manufactures fluctuate in these charts based on the age of the model they are selling, newer models will have more faults, older models fewer. As I said you need to expect a fault or even two regardless of the make, its just simple maths, and expect it to be higher if it's the models first year.

I don't think I have ever had a car without a single fault. I have been buying new cars since 1991 and keeping them on average 18 months, So I have a fair sample size.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Picked my brand new JCW up last week. Was back with them after 250 miles and 2 days.

Rear parking sensor wasn't fitted correctly- apparently thats a whole new bumper. and the tracking was off- so steering wheel not straight and pulling to the left slightly.

Was amazed for a new car.....

I've been driving the courtesy clubman longer than my JCW... :(

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
You could argue that skoda use tried and trusted older vw tech, also are expectations lower for cheaper cars.? Are they driven by less critical drivers? What do you class as a fault. My silver door handle cover fell off but it was pressed, so is that a fault a design fault or not really a fault of the car. Similarly the passenger door trim but it was belted by my dog. I've nothing else gone wrong with mine at all but it had the seat recall. Who knows if they did anything as the ,seats seemed perfect. It's very tricky this one. Oops sorry I have the door paint rub. Now that is definitely a fault. Poor design or material choice or both. And mini seem much slower than us to find a fix. Bit of film in the right place hey presto! That's why I love this forum!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Its certainly difficult....

My current car is an Audi S3 - incredible build quality. Have done 3000 miles in six months and not a squeak or rattle, not a single issue and feels like it will go on forever. However, if I did have an issue I would be pretty vocal about it as the car cost nearly £35k.

On the flip side, my wife once owned a new Hyundai i10... Cheap as chips, cost £6k brand new. Didnt expect much from it and if we had experienced problems our mindset would have been that minor issues were acceptable. In fact that car ran like clockwork without a single issue.

The Mini is inbetween the two.....its a small city car but with a premium price tag......you would expect at its price point within its class, it would be virtually faultless.
I think its actually pretty well nailed together and uses some decent materials- however there are definitely issues, many of which may be down to a lack of proper development? Or maybe as Donna says, too little time in perfecting assembly...rushing to get too many cars out each shift?

The real saving grace for us is the dealer. The fact that they couldnt be more helpful and instantly give us a courtesy car is what is keeping us in a positive mindset towards the Mini brand. If they had messed us around like many dealers do nowadays, we would be very very hacked off!

So in summary I have three thoughts:

1. Mini - please take a little more time on product development.

2. Mini - please spend an extra 1/2 hour building each car just to ensure high standards are maintained.

3. Mini - keep the same positive, upbeat, helpful and friendly attitude that you have instilled in your dealerships. People will take a fair amount of **** from their cars as long as their dealer is helpful and efficient when things do go wrong....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Kugaman, i can well understand your disappointment and frustration with MINI at the moment.

Hopefully the dealers will resolve these issues and you'll grow to love the car.

We've had our F55 'justa' since April and so far (touch wood) its been faultless...great little car that my wife & I truly loves to bits.

It is a far better than our last new car which was a VW Golf mk6 Cabriolet blue motion....very poor mpg, rattly windows and a constant damp problem that was never resolved hence us getting rid ASAP

1 - 20 of 33 Posts