Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

New to the forum, just picked up a 2017 midnight black JCW with red roof. About to order some pre-cut Xpel for it. But they only seem to have the 2016 JCW pre-cut patterns.

Does anyone know if there is any changes to the exterior for the 2017 JCW? It certainly doesn't look like there is any changes.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Exactly the same

·
Registered
152 Posts
What is a 2017 JCW? I just have to be dumb a little here ....

Its is the LCI? Aka facelift?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
John Cooper Works:)

Blessed with 228 horsepower and 236 pound-feet from its 2.0-liter, turbocharged four-cylinder, the new JCW should provide a more thrilling drive than the standard Cooper S (not that the 189-hp model lacked in terms of entertainment value). The 6.4-second sprint to 60 falls to 6.1 in the JCW, while owners should expect an even more agile handling experience courtesy of an uprated version of the Cooper S' sports suspension.

Upgraded Brembo brakes, larger wheels and stickier tires and an electronic differential round out the performance upgrades, although Mini also paid significant attention to the aesthetics. A revised aero kit doesn't do the third-generation Works car many favors in the appearance department, but as both driver and front passengers will find themselves in a set of exclusive JCW sports seats, they'll probably be too comfortable and supportive to care. A JCW steering wheel, shift lever, door sills and instrument cluster tweaks mark the extent of the interior updates.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I always find it amusing when manufacturers name the cars next years model e.g. 2017 when it's 2016...

Marketing ploy that seems to work as it makes buyers think they are getting a newer car when in fact most cases there is no change to the older model... I guess it's better to think we have a 2017 car when in fact you have a 2016 car lol

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I always find it amusing when manufacturers name the cars next years model e.g. 2017 when it's 2016...

Marketing ploy that seems to work as it makes buyers think they are getting a newer car when in fact most cases there is no change to the older model... I guess it's better to think we have a 2017 car when in fact you have a 2016 car lol
True! I also believe that as the model runs it's course things change...some for the better, some for the worse (like eliminating certain features)....I'm so thrilled that my JCW is a 2015 as it has the hidden compartment & the side visor...both features were eliminated in the 2016 model year.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
And of course my usual rant the real metal, functional, dipstick. 02 you are lucky to have snared a 2015 with the hidden compartment, too! The big plus it the B48, what a divine little powerplant.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there are a few changes. For one the no-cost maintenance no longer includes brake pads and stuff.

The small screen is now standard.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think there are a few changes. For one the no-cost maintenance no longer includes brake pads and stuff.

The small screen is now standard.
Option changes, yes, the the exterior and interior are exactly the same.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Interior is the same except for the forced arm rest. I hated mine and had to delete it.
I added the arm rest to my order and LOVE it! To each their own I suppose, but if you don't have visual boost or XL screen you don't need the controller in front of the armrest & emergency brake (like mine.....no controller)...wonderful setup that is NLA! Love my 2015! ;-). Progress isn't always better!

Reactions: KYDan

·
Registered
81 Posts
I added the arm rest to my order and LOVE it! To each their own I suppose, but if you don't have visual boost or XL screen you don't need the controller in front of the armrest & emergency brake (like mine.....no controller)...wonderful setup that is NLA! Love my 2015! ;-). Progress isn't always better!
Visual boost is not optional on 2017s. The armrest was a big ergonomics issue for me. Up or all the way down, it was in the way.

Much happier now:

-Matt

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Visual boost is not optional on 2017s. The armrest was a big ergonomics issue for me. Up or all the way down, it was in the way.

Much happier now:

-Matt
I understand....that was my point about progress! Taking away certain options and deletions so buyers don't have to buy something they don't like was my point! The armrest/center console with its interference with the controller for visual boost/xl screen is a case in point. I read on forums about the problem with the armrest interfering with the controller, so I didn't order the console. But, I changed my order to add it once I drove a car that had it & it was great. Since I didn't want visual boost....only the radio with HK, so I knew the console wouldn't Interfere with anything! Now, buyers don't have the option to not have the visual boost while the center console can still get in the way! Why not redesign the controller or the armrest instead? Well, that's progress! Not so good sometimes!

I haven't heard that many people complain though...putting the armrest in the forward/down position is adequate for controller access for most, while maybe not the best ergonomics. Lots to design into a tight space!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Plus it gives you a little storage area that we lost without the not so secret secret compartment! Leaving shortly for a long twisting weekend in North Carolina with the Tarheels! Sort of a healing process for the unnecessary angst created by BMW!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I haven't heard that many people complain though...putting the armrest in the forward/down position is adequate for controller access for most, while maybe not the best ergonomics. Lots to design into a tight space!
Ha ha, O2, you've started something now..... one of the reasons why I didn't go enhanced bluetooth, nav, etc etc as I would have been forced to have that pain in the **** armrest that fouls the handbrake and gets in my elbow space when I'm on a charge.... what an ergonomic, impractical catastrophe in a car that is otherwise so so so well designed and totally bling ;)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Ha ha, O2, you've started something now..... one of the reasons why I didn't go enhanced bluetooth, nav, etc etc as I would have been forced to have that pain in the **** armrest that fouls the handbrake and gets in my elbow space when I'm on a charge.... what an ergonomic, impractical catastrophe in a car that is otherwise so so so well designed and totally bling
Ha! I get it! I have to admit although I didn't want it initially, once I saw how it would adjust downward I went with the armrest! It really doesn't get in my way now that I'm used to it being there. I'd hate it if I had the controller but I don't so maybe that's the main reason it's tolerable! Plus, you can always lift it out of the way. ;-). I put my garage door opener & flash drive in there too....love the storage!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ha ha, O2, you've started something now..... one of the reasons why I didn't go enhanced bluetooth, nav, etc etc as I would have been forced to have that pain in the **** armrest that fouls the handbrake and gets in my elbow space when I'm on a charge.... what an ergonomic, impractical catastrophe in a car that is otherwise so so so well designed and totally bling ;)
Right? That thing is a menace. It was fairly tolerable in its very lowest position, but the e-brake pulls it back up in the way. Flipped up I still bumped my elbow on it and couldn't reach into the area behind the seat (I've got a kiddo back there). I'd much prefer the option of deleting the option for $0 (heck, you can get non-sport suspension and non-sport seats in a JCW for $0 less) to being forced to have it.

It'd probably be OK in a car with an auto, where you don't have to reach down there much and don't usually need to bother with the e-brake. It's a disaster in a car with a manual though. It was even in the way of reaching the iDrive controls and sport switch, so it'd still not be ideal.

Poor choice MINI. Poor choice. At least it was only $70 and an hour of time to get a part they already freaking make that has the slot for the control and no armrest.

--Matt

·
Registered
320 Posts
yeah, lack of storage is an issue without it, just odd Mini haven't grasped an ergonomic solution, especially where the handbrake touches it. There must be a way of making it work. Same in the older A3's if I remember, I struggled with those. A4's were fine with the push-button electronic parking brake.

I'd rather keep my mechanical handbrake though for special off-road occasions, U turns, J turns and general messing around on grassy fields and gravel car parks. No electronic parking brakes here thanks, even if it makes space for storage!!!!!

Auto would be less of an issue I suppose, just so so odd to me they didnt get that bit quite right, when everything else in the F56 cabin is.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The center console/armrest was not required here in the USA.....so it was a separate option unless you went with certain packages. That's why I didn't have it in my order initially.

I hardly ever use the handbrake anyway, especially for stunt driving, but if I did I'd simply lift it out of the way.

When I park the car in the garage I never use the handbrake, but instead put the trans in 1st gear....better for the car anyway.

Not arguing with you guys cause I understand the center console can be a bit of a pain, but the pluses far outweigh the minuses of having it! If I didn't have mine I'd REALLY miss it!

Removing it is the best option for those who hate it so much. My bet is the JCW MINI race team cars that race in the Continental Tire Series don't have armrests in any of their three cars!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts