Mini Cooper Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have taken to calling mine "Isuzu D-Max 1.9TD Yukon Double Cab Pickup".

Admittedly it's a bit of a mouthful, but worth it for the the expression on the MINI receptionist's face when I book it in for service.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My wife tends to name her Mini's, first one was Molly (which had eyelashes added) and the current one is Merida (because of the orange hair).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was being ironic re calling my car 'Brexit'. I have only ever given a car a name once and that was a very tatty 1966 Beetle back in the 80's; it was affectionately known as 'The Dog' as it was disreputable enough to make London Cabs back off in heavy traffic. I bought it for £100, used it for three or four months, covered three or four thousand miles and then sold it for £100. The joke is on me as it would be easily worth £3-4000 today, even if it was in the condition it was in then.

Back to my new Mini, which I am warming to a lot; its very worrying but Brexit, not my Mini, may push BMW to pull manufacturing from the UK which would be very sad. Having just been round the factory, I asked if BMW were looking at acquiring the soon to be vacant Honda factory in Swindon. Paraphrasing the diplomatic reply; '...they are looking at the possibility of taking over the Honda plant but BMW are very keen on 'Europe' and that would be a major factor in their decision'. BMW already have Mini production running at the Nedcar plant in The Netherlands so its not impossible that they may transfer more production over there. Part of Mini's USP is its Britishness but BMW will look at costs and if they are so concerned about saving 12 euros a car by sourcing glass from China rather than from Belgium, it shows that their cost accountants will be listened to in any decision as to where our lovely Mini's are made.

Another warning sign is the three year model life extension that the 3/5 doors have been given tallies with the projected lifetime of the production facility in Oxford. Apparently the manufacturing plant installed in Oxford had a projected useful life of ten years and its about seven years into that time frame.

On a happier note, it was good to see how BMW/Mini have cleverly adapted their electric motor to fit into the engine bay of the Mini. We were watching as different engines, including the electric one, being fitted to new car bodies. If you love your Mini its well worth arranging a factory visit because its fascinating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a British Racing Green with gold and black Union Jack side mirrors and gold rims. Our son insists on calling it “Lantern” from Green Lantern even tho I told him it’s a different green, now my wife calls it Lantern...guess it’s name is Latern

21 - 32 of 32 Posts