Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just took possession of a new 2016 JCW and though I love it to pieces, like most of my previous sports cars I want to add a little more "happy noise" though the addition of a well-designed, quiet-at-idle but awesome-under-throttle muffler.

Despite being tons of great choices for the Cooper S, I was really surprised at how few options there are for the JCW.

At first I considered the idea of fitting the John Cooper Works Pro exhaust kit for the Cooper S but it is not sold in Japan. Though I found a place that would import it for me, they advised against it since it would not be approved by Japan inspection standards (too loud) and I would have trouble getting any service done at a Mini dealer with it fitted. They suggested that getting an aftermarket muffler that meets the Japan standards like Remus, Supersprint Akrapovic etc..

The only one my contacts recommended to me that fits the F56 JCW is the Remus Valvetronic exhaust system. But after doing lots of research, all I've been able to find on the Remus webpage, YouTube or other places is info and sound files of this system fitted on a Cooper S.

Was wondering if anyone has fitted the system to an F56 JCW and if so were they happy with it? Any sound files or links would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
With the flap closed the JCW Pro system is no louder than the Remus valved system. There are numerous sound files on line that can be used as comparison. Consequently, they are both going to be "too" loud with the flap open. As long as you're not revving the engine while sitting next to a "white bike" you shouldn't have a problem. Then again, it's been four decades since I lived in Japan.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the flap closed the JCW Pro system is no louder than the Remus valved system. There are numerous sound files on line that can be used as comparison. Consequently, they are both going to be "too" loud with the flap open. As long as you're not revving the engine while sitting next to a "white bike" you shouldn't have a problem. Then again, it's been four decades since I lived in Japan.
LOL! You've dealt with the white bikes too? Those guys are way too sneaky for my comfort!

Anyhow, the JCW Pro is not really an option as I would have to do a grey import and risk not being able to get my car serviced under warranty.

I have listened to lots of sound files of the Remus on a Cooper S both from their site as well as YouTube but can't find any sound files (or written info or impressions) of the Remus on an F56 JCW...

·
Premium Member
1,243 Posts
Odd, that a dealer would take that position since the JCW unit is made by Mini and the Remus would be considered an aftermarket system. I'd bet there are some Skyline GT's running around over there that are louder than the Mini would be. If I run across a sound file I'll send it to you.

Yep, I had a few interactions with the Shirobai. Most of them positive though. In '72 I was riding a Yoshimura modified street "legal" road racer based on the then new Honda 750. This was about the time they were transitioning from Yamaha 650 twins and older Harleys to the 750. They got a kick out of seeing someone riding the new Honda that made to look normal sized. I actually auditioned for a Honda commercial for the bike, but at 6'4" I made the bike look too small and that's not what they were going for. Whenever I was riding in the Fuchu area near the police station a couple of the white bikes would end up riding along with me. Made me very nervous the first few times because my "street legal" bike was definitely not legal by their standards considering the clip-on bars and the prototype 4 into one exhaust.. This was before the crotch rockets were produced by the factories. At that time it was illegal to sell a bike in Japan that was more powerful than the ones the shirobai rode. The 750 was actually released in the US before it was in Japan. Once they started the transition it was then legal and they became available locally. I bought mine in '71. It was a toss up between that and a Fairlady 240Z. But, since the Z car was ~1200 bucks and the Honda only 900 I went with the bike.
Sorry about the thread drift. I miss my time over there, especially when the exchange rate was 360 yen to the dollar. I miss my Sapporo beer too! :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Perhaps this help you:

JCW Pro
Schnitzer
Remus
and last but not least Armytrix

http://www.mini-f56-forum.de/index.php/Board/62-Tuning-der-Abgasanlage/
Thanks for the information.

The JCW Pro and Armytrix are not available in Japan (and Armytrix is a bit too "gimmicky"), and the Remus is the one I am trying to get more impressions, data and sound files on.

I actually did read something about the AC Schnitzer one on a Mini foum somewhere, but several people dismissed it as being way overpriced. Your post reminded me of this so I went and checked to see if there were any vendors in Japan and I did indeed find one - price is 290,000 yen (1700GBP or 2300 Euros). Though quite a bit higher in price that Remus system (Remus is about 30% less at 200,000 yen) I would still consider it if I thought it was the better system (Schnitzer too, only has sound files and info posted for the Cooper S, not the JCW)...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm gonna buy the Remus, but for a S. The costs are ± 1400 euros.
At least 8 aftermarket choices I could find for the S including Remus and the amazing JCW Pro kit which also modifies the ECU, but so far not a single system made just for the JCW - its been out for almost a year so I guess people just aren't interested in modifying this car...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Supersprint , remus , miltek, scorpion, assymetrix, nm engeneering,... They all make exhaust for the cooper s and jcw.
I don't get wy you realy need to have al exhaust especially for the jcw..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Supersprint - don't sell muffler for JCW in Japan and have no plans to
Remus - said don't have JCW muffler and S until can't be fitted to JCW (wrong!)
Miltek - not available in Japan for JCW and couldn't find info on it on webpage
Scorpion - seen in UK but not available in Japan for JCW
Assymetrix - saw YouTube on this but no distributor in Japan
NM Engineering - no muffler, at least in Japan, only ECU and intake

As for why I need the exhaust - I always find stock mufflers a bit too quiet and definitely find the standard JCW one to be a bit on the quiet side. Fitted great mufflers to my M135i and Megane Trophy RS and was hoping to find something similar for the JCW but it seems most of the makers are focusing on the Cooper S and hoping a few JCW owners will buy it rather than make something specific for the JCW...

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey man :laugh:, :laugh:

You got your own Topic in the German Forum

http://www.mini-f56-forum.de/index....agen-JCW-Pro-Schnitzer-etc-für-Japan-zu-laut/
Thanks so much - very kind!

I can see its a very active forum too! My thanks to all your members for their opinions and help!

I can't post on your forum but to answer one of their questions about why Mini dealers might not service a Mini fitted with the JCW Pro exhaust but would be willing to service a Mini with a Remus or Supersprint... I think this is a bit strange too, but what I was told is that the Remus and Supersprint units are approved for sale in Japan, meaning they passed whatever sound regulation tests were necessary and thus has whatever seal of approval is necessary (regardless of how loud they actually were) whereas the JCW Pro unit is not approved for sales in Japan and thus Minis with this muffler could be refused service. Personally I had never heard of this before (and I have owned more than 20 sports cars in Japan over the past 30 years, most of them with aftermarket mufflers), so I will check more deeply to find out if this is true for all dealers or just the one I talked to....

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.