Mini Cooper Forum banner

Anyone add a Remus Valvetronic muffler to your JCW?

19K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  KYDan 
#1 · (Edited)
Just took possession of a new 2016 JCW and though I love it to pieces, like most of my previous sports cars I want to add a little more "happy noise" though the addition of a well-designed, quiet-at-idle but awesome-under-throttle muffler.

Despite being tons of great choices for the Cooper S, I was really surprised at how few options there are for the JCW.

At first I considered the idea of fitting the John Cooper Works Pro exhaust kit for the Cooper S but it is not sold in Japan. Though I found a place that would import it for me, they advised against it since it would not be approved by Japan inspection standards (too loud) and I would have trouble getting any service done at a Mini dealer with it fitted. They suggested that getting an aftermarket muffler that meets the Japan standards like Remus, Supersprint Akrapovic etc..

The only one my contacts recommended to me that fits the F56 JCW is the Remus Valvetronic exhaust system. But after doing lots of research, all I've been able to find on the Remus webpage, YouTube or other places is info and sound files of this system fitted on a Cooper S.

Was wondering if anyone has fitted the system to an F56 JCW and if so were they happy with it? Any sound files or links would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
With the flap closed the JCW Pro system is no louder than the Remus valved system. There are numerous sound files on line that can be used as comparison. Consequently, they are both going to be "too" loud with the flap open. As long as you're not revving the engine while sitting next to a "white bike" you shouldn't have a problem. Then again, it's been four decades since I lived in Japan.

#3 ·
LOL! You've dealt with the white bikes too? Those guys are way too sneaky for my comfort!

Anyhow, the JCW Pro is not really an option as I would have to do a grey import and risk not being able to get my car serviced under warranty.

I have listened to lots of sound files of the Remus on a Cooper S both from their site as well as YouTube but can't find any sound files (or written info or impressions) of the Remus on an F56 JCW...

#4 ·
Odd, that a dealer would take that position since the JCW unit is made by Mini and the Remus would be considered an aftermarket system. I'd bet there are some Skyline GT's running around over there that are louder than the Mini would be. If I run across a sound file I'll send it to you.

Yep, I had a few interactions with the Shirobai. Most of them positive though. In '72 I was riding a Yoshimura modified street "legal" road racer based on the then new Honda 750. This was about the time they were transitioning from Yamaha 650 twins and older Harleys to the 750. They got a kick out of seeing someone riding the new Honda that made to look normal sized. I actually auditioned for a Honda commercial for the bike, but at 6'4" I made the bike look too small and that's not what they were going for. Whenever I was riding in the Fuchu area near the police station a couple of the white bikes would end up riding along with me. Made me very nervous the first few times because my "street legal" bike was definitely not legal by their standards considering the clip-on bars and the prototype 4 into one exhaust.. This was before the crotch rockets were produced by the factories. At that time it was illegal to sell a bike in Japan that was more powerful than the ones the shirobai rode. The 750 was actually released in the US before it was in Japan. Once they started the transition it was then legal and they became available locally. I bought mine in '71. It was a toss up between that and a Fairlady 240Z. But, since the Z car was ~1200 bucks and the Honda only 900 I went with the bike.
Sorry about the thread drift. I miss my time over there, especially when the exchange rate was 360 yen to the dollar. I miss my Sapporo beer too! :D

#6 ·
Thanks for the information.

The JCW Pro and Armytrix are not available in Japan (and Armytrix is a bit too "gimmicky"), and the Remus is the one I am trying to get more impressions, data and sound files on.

I actually did read something about the AC Schnitzer one on a Mini foum somewhere, but several people dismissed it as being way overpriced. Your post reminded me of this so I went and checked to see if there were any vendors in Japan and I did indeed find one - price is 290,000 yen (1700GBP or 2300 Euros). Though quite a bit higher in price that Remus system (Remus is about 30% less at 200,000 yen) I would still consider it if I thought it was the better system (Schnitzer too, only has sound files and info posted for the Cooper S, not the JCW)...

#10 ·
Thanks - though I don't speak German it was great practice in using Google Translate and very interesting to read!

#11 ·
At least 8 aftermarket choices I could find for the S including Remus and the amazing JCW Pro kit which also modifies the ECU, but so far not a single system made just for the JCW - its been out for almost a year so I guess people just aren't interested in modifying this car...

#18 ·
Supersprint - don't sell muffler for JCW in Japan and have no plans to
Remus - said don't have JCW muffler and S until can't be fitted to JCW (wrong!)
Miltek - not available in Japan for JCW and couldn't find info on it on webpage
Scorpion - seen in UK but not available in Japan for JCW
Assymetrix - saw YouTube on this but no distributor in Japan
NM Engineering - no muffler, at least in Japan, only ECU and intake

As for why I need the exhaust - I always find stock mufflers a bit too quiet and definitely find the standard JCW one to be a bit on the quiet side. Fitted great mufflers to my M135i and Megane Trophy RS and was hoping to find something similar for the JCW but it seems most of the makers are focusing on the Cooper S and hoping a few JCW owners will buy it rather than make something specific for the JCW...

#19 ·
Thanks so much - very kind!

I can see its a very active forum too! My thanks to all your members for their opinions and help!

I can't post on your forum but to answer one of their questions about why Mini dealers might not service a Mini fitted with the JCW Pro exhaust but would be willing to service a Mini with a Remus or Supersprint... I think this is a bit strange too, but what I was told is that the Remus and Supersprint units are approved for sale in Japan, meaning they passed whatever sound regulation tests were necessary and thus has whatever seal of approval is necessary (regardless of how loud they actually were) whereas the JCW Pro unit is not approved for sales in Japan and thus Minis with this muffler could be refused service. Personally I had never heard of this before (and I have owned more than 20 sports cars in Japan over the past 30 years, most of them with aftermarket mufflers), so I will check more deeply to find out if this is true for all dealers or just the one I talked to....

#21 ·
Actually, I was planning on getting the Remus center pipe too as I was told by a friend who drives an F56 Cooper S and has the Remus installed that the sound is not very good with only the tail changed...

#23 ·
Looking forward to it! Make a short video if you can.

Today I was talking with a Mini dealer/official distributor for Remus and they said that although the current Remus unit was designed for the Cooper S and the catalytic converter is slightly different, it will indeed fit the JCW with a simple adapter. Only problem is that on the JCW the difference in the catalytic converter often sets off a warning light that can only be turned off by bringing it in to the dealer.

I also found out that Arqray is now working on a special titanium muffler made especially for the F56 JCW (first muffler of any maker I've found so far developed specifically for the JCW rather than the Cooper S) so I may wait a bit more until this one comes out before making the move...

#26 ·
Your JCW, like the S has two cat convertors. One on the downpipe which is monitored by O2 sensors before and after the cat. The second cat is on the front of the exhaust pipe and is not monitored by the ECM. Having a slightly different cat, or no cat at all on the exhaust pipe would not throw a code.
In the picture you can see the cat at the end of the pipe that connects to the downpipe. No sensors, O2 or otherwise. Ergo, no CEL.

#28 ·
I had a F56 cooper S with Remus cat-back installed.
2 months ago I traded it in for a F56 JCW and I brought the Remus system to the new ride without problem.
No CEL, no issues, only happy sound.

Btw, if you look closely to the AC Schnitzer catback system and compare with Remus, you'll find something interesting ;)

#29 ·
Been talking with both an official Remus dealer for the US who belongs to this forum as well as my closest Mini dealer (that happens to be one of the few Mini dealers in Japan sanctioned to do tuning with non-Mini parts and is an official Remus distributor) and learned a couple interesting things:

1) According to the American distributor, the Remus F56 (Valvetronic) system that has been sold until now was for the Cooper S only though several people have gone ahead and fitted it to their JCWs

2) He also said that the newer F56 Remus system is compatible with both the Cooper S and JCW

3) The Japan dealer is now checking with home office of Remus in Austria to get the latest info and sounds like he is willing to bring in the JCW-compatible model if he can find and source it

#32 ·
Cool pictures!

Reactions: pjsjr13
#33 ·
Hey Everyone,

Just came across this post and figured I would chime in. Remus initially made a system only for the F56 Cooper S. We had a few customers use the F56 S system on their F55 S and they were able to do so with some slight mods. I have also been told the same for the JCW which makes sense. Due to all of the demand for the systems we went ahead and developed systems for the Mini Coooper F55 and F56 and Mini One F55 and F56.

We also developed a system specifically for the F55 S. Last but not least we produced a single system for both the JCW F56 and the Mini Cooper S F56 that has just been released and will be offered as a Cat Back system with remote controlled valves. A lot to digest I know but I hope that I was able to clear up some of the questions here. Please feel free to contact me with any additional questions you may have. Talk to you soon.

Mike

#34 ·
Thanks a lot for the very useful information Mike! You've definitely made a few JCW owners happy!

(btw, I was the one that contacted you privately about this matter a week or two back).

#38 ·
@mjb I take that back. There is an importer for Auto and Motorcycle and I accidentally provided the motorcycle. The importer for Auto is http://remusautomotive.com.au/ and Ross or Roy can help you out. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike

@mjb Thank you for your inquiry. We actually have an Authorized Remus Importer in Australia. You can contact Roy or Ross and here is the link for their website. They should be able to assist you with your request. Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Talk to you soon.

#39 ·
Update: Remus, Arqray and NM Engineering are all working on versions of their JCW F56 mufflers that will meet Japan's strict inspection laws. As a result I decided to wait till summer for the muffler change and instead focused on available JCW performance upgrades starting with the NM Power Module which I got installed today.

I am staggered by how much extra performance this adds for so little cash and am already writing more about this in another thread someone started on NM Engineering parts.

Next step is probably a carbon fiber intake - found one made by Mini Japan that looks gorgeous and obviously won't void the warranty. Here is a picture...

Attachments

#40 · (Edited)
Still wish you had taken my deal. I could've bought the NM for less than half what you paid. And, there's no way I'm gonna pay $845 for that admittedly beautiful intake. :D

When I lived there it would have been considerably cheaper because of the Yen to Dollar ratio. Would have cost me $277.

#44 ·
I really appreciated the offer (though I actually thought you were kind of joking :) ) but in the end, I didn't want to do an upgrade like this on my own but rather have it installed by an official dealer.

The place I bought it from, Ishikawa Engineering, is the official distributor for Neuspeed and NM Engineering in Japan and they did a really nice installation, guaranteeing the Power Module against any defects, error messages etc. Though they focus more on tuning one of my previous cars (Golf Gti), they just bought a JCW a few months ago as a demo car for all the NM parts and he was able to give me a lot of good feedback and info.

He gave me a bit of a discount and in the end I paid 70,000 yen ($600) for the Power Module (including 8% tax and installation) so I'm pretty happy with the purchase overall.

As for the carbon intake box. I will start researching to see what kind of discount I can get by contacting different distributors. List is 105,000 yen (about $880). Maybe if there was interest on our forum in doing a bulk purchase I could get a chunk off of this price...

Reactions: vetsvette
#41 ·
I just stumbled across this thread this morning and it is a great one! Thanks guys, I never went to Japan in all my travels, but did spend some time on Okinawa in the early 70's at Kadena AFB! Also Rhein-Main, Germany, and Miledenhall RAFB, England, I never thought about a mini then, but did have several motorcycles. Small world after all. I have ordered the JCW pro exhaust and after the install will decide what else I want for the little beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.