Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PCP contract on the JCW comes to an end in July and I'm currently debating what to do.

The only car I would look to move to would be an M2, however I am keen to see what JCW drivers think of them compared to the JCW. Is anyone looking to make the same move as me? Or has anyone made the move in reverse and come from M2's in to JCW's?

I know that I will prefer the driving experience over the JCW as I have owned a number of BMW's, albeit diesels, however I do prefer the RWD.

Keen to hear peoples reviews of the M2 if there are any?!

·
Registered
65 Posts
My PCP contract on the JCW comes to an end in July and I'm currently debating what to do.

The only car I would look to move to would be an M2, however I am keen to see what JCW drivers think of them compared to the JCW. Is anyone looking to make the same move as me? Or has anyone made the move in reverse and come from M2's in to JCW's?

I know that I will prefer the driving experience over the JCW as I have owned a number of BMW's, albeit diesels, however I do prefer the RWD. With that said I'm not expecting it to be any faster in a straight line, as my JCW is pushing 300 bhp and it has kept up with M2's in a straight line before.

Keen to hear peoples reviews of the M2 if there are any?!
I had an N55 engined M2 in my garage for a year, did 11000 miles in it and loved. I have not driven the M2C yet so cannot comment on that version, i did however own a heavily modified M4 with that engine and honestly preferred the M2 as a drivers car. I absolutely love the JCW and find as a daily it is everything i need. If you don’t need the rear seats i would say get a GP3, if you need the rear seats then the M2C will likely be a great option to have.

Pictures of my M2 and M4 and JCW , also one of how my GP3 may end up to help you in your choice lol

Denso

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had an N55 engined M2 in my garage for a year, did 11000 miles in it and loved. I have not driven the M2C yet so cannot comment on that version, i did however own a heavily modified M4 with that engine and honestly preferred the M2 as a drivers car. I absolutely love the JCW and find as a daily it is everything i need. If you don’t need the rear seats i would say get a GP3, if you need the rear seats then the M2C will likely be a great option to have.

Pictures of my M2 and M4 and JCW , also one of how my GP3 may end up to help you in your choice lol

Denso
Thanks for your reply mate. I do think that the reason I'm almost doubting myself is just because of how good a daily driver the Mini is. Comfortable, fast, economical (I got 60+ mpg on one long run), well built and has a decent amount of tech in it.

Good to hear your opinion on the M2 being more a drivers car. The back seats don't get used often but unfortunately it's not something I'd be able to sacrifice! I would love to have the exclusivity of the GP but they just don't do it for me like the M2.

My mate has a remapped and modified M4 (far less than yours ^) and it's a beast, but for me it is still a little too big, which is where I feel the M2 is the sweet spot between the JCW and the M4.

Would love to have a B2B drive of an M2 and M2C to see how they compare with different engines in the same chassis, I just fear I'd fall for the M2C and even second hands ones are still a tad outside of my budget!

PS. Your M2 was a f'ing awesome looking thing!

·
Super Moderator
1,185 Posts
Have you considered the new 306bhp JCW Clubman?

I ask because I was in a similar situation, albeit that I just needed more room in the back. I'd already had an M135i, but the Clubby fitted my needs and I've not got tired of it yet, which is strange for me. I like it so much I paid off the PCP and now it's mine.

I just need to get a few more horses under the bonnet, as 235bhp is a little lacking for a heavier car. The Clubby is a great daily driver, brilliant back lane scratcher, but can still be a "responsible family car" when you need it too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for your reply mate. I do think that the reason I'm almost doubting myself is just because of how good a daily driver the Mini is. Comfortable, fast, economical (I got 60+ mpg on one long run), well built and has a decent amount of tech in it.

Good to hear your opinion on the M2 being more a drivers car. The back seats don't get used often but unfortunately it's not something I'd be able to sacrifice! I would love to have the exclusivity of the GP but they just don't do it for me like the M2.

My mate has a remapped and modified M4 (far less than yours ^) and it's a beast, but for me it is still a little too big, which is where I feel the M2 is the sweet spot between the JCW and the M4.

Would love to have a B2B drive of an M2 and M2C to see how they compare with different engines in the same chassis, I just fear I'd fall for the M2C and even second hands ones are still a tad outside of my budget!

PS. Your M2 was a f'ing awesome looking thing!
Very interesting to read about the comparisons between JCW, M2 and M4...

James - Did you really once get 60+mpg from your JCW? Any number starting with a 5 let alone a 6 seems like an impossible possibility (assuming it isn't 5mpg or 6mpg lol). If so, I'd be interested to know if yours is mapped for efficiency etc? I do a fair amount of motorway miles, probably 300/week, so would definitely like to know how 60+mpg is possible for that!!!

I too am likely to look towards the M2 as an upgrade is due course, so good to hear that other Mini owners have made the same step! For now the JCW is doing the job nicely.

Cheers
Sam

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think I’d avoid the full M-tax and go for a 240 instead.
That's an interesting prospect, I've heard the 240's are extremely capable. If I remember rightly, around £7000 can get you the full stage 3 package with hybrid turbos, which will produce a reliable ~600 whp.

I've seen a number of the 140/240's around town and I must say, they are quite the sleepers. Perfect for an understated bit of fun.

·
Registered
28 Posts
A straightforward stage 1 remap will get you to 430bhp for a fraction of that cost which would be plenty for me.
Indeed, I’m having a hard time justifying a remap on my JCW because 230ish HP seems like enough for it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
///M lites in my opinion the M140i or M240i need the optional limited Mperformance diff, otherwise they are just tyre burners and cant get the power down. This is especially true exiting a damp roundabout as my underwear will testify lol.
M2 comes as standard with a full on ///M diff And is super tuneable too, i had one of the first M2 (N55) and it ran 430hp with no issues for 11000 miles until I sold it.

Denso

·
Registered
217 Posts
Though much lower down the food chain, I owned and greatly enjoyed my M135i. I agree it would have been better with a mechanical diff but the car was an absolute hoot on tight twisty mountain roads because of its ability to literally EXPLODE out of turns - had great brakes and decent suspension too. Only upgrade I made was the M-Sports exhaust which greatly enhanced the straight size sound. Was a fun car :) The 5 year loan on my JCW is up in Dec so I too am looking. I used to run Megane Trophy and am looking at the new ones (though I am not a big fan of the 4 wheel steering - I think my old one was far "purer" in feel), if I could stretch my budget by 30-40% the M2 Competition is certainly high on my list though I also am quite taken with the light weight Alpine A110...

Reactions: Denso

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very interesting to read about the comparisons between JCW, M2 and M4...

James - Did you really once get 60+mpg from your JCW? Any number starting with a 5 let alone a 6 seems like an impossible possibility (assuming it isn't 5mpg or 6mpg lol). If so, I'd be interested to know if yours is mapped for efficiency etc? I do a fair amount of motorway miles, probably 300/week, so would definitely like to know how 60+mpg is possible for that!!!

I too am likely to look towards the M2 as an upgrade is due course, so good to hear that other Mini owners have made the same step! For now the JCW is doing the job nicely.

Cheers
Sam
I was exceptionally surprised myself when I got these figures. This was also before I had my car remapped and it was running on the original Dunlop Sportmaxx RFT's.

I did a journey from Plymouth to Liverpool and back again a few years ago and managed 58 on the way up and 63 on the way back, that was calculated by brimming the tank before I left Plymouth and zeroing the trip computer, when I arrived I'd brim the tank again and that would be how much fuel I'd used for the miles..do the conversions etc. I was very surprised! 280 miles on less than 22 litres of fuel on the way back!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I’d avoid the full M-tax and go for a 240 instead.
I have considered this however I know if I made the decision to go for the M lite that I'd always feel disappointed if I saw an M2, purely because it's the one I want. It's just a real shame my budget can't stretch to meet the price of the M2C just yet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
///M lites in my opinion the M140i or M240i need the optional limited Mperformance diff, otherwise they are just tyre burners and cant get the power down. This is especially true exiting a damp roundabout as my underwear will testify lol.
M2 comes as standard with a full on ///M diff And is super tuneable too, i had one of the first M2 (N55) and it ran 430hp with no issues for 11000 miles until I sold it.

Denso
How did you find your time with the M2? Did you have auto or manual?
I have the auto in the Mini and there are a number of characteristics I don't like that are pushing me back towards a manual box in the M2.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mine
How did you find your time with the M2? Did you have auto or manual?
I have the auto in the Mini and there are a number of characteristics I don't like that are pushing me back towards a manual box in the M2.
My M2 was DCT and i loved it. Great gearbox IMO and was well suited to the car with the tune.

Denso

·
Registered
3 Posts
I currently own a F56 JCW and a M2 Competition, and I love the M2C. It's not comparable with the MINI in any way, everything is better. Steering, gearbox, handling, engine, driver feeling and engagement, to me it even feels more alive and lighter than the JCW. The M2 is an amazing car.

However I really like the JCW looks, size, and lower price, I use it for everything and take it everywhere without much concern and have lots of fun with it. They compliment each other perfectly for me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts