Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My company bought 4x 2015 Cooper Hardtops and 2 have what seem to be major brake issues. With two of them, you press the brakes and not much seems to happen, press the brakes again and they start to work, and then slamming on the brakes will lock up the brakes....no ABS pulse and no control. I also find it odd that when I am at a full stop that there is 4-5" of play in the brake pedal and I can hear what sounds like air escaping from the vicinity of the brake pedal.

Dealer said they didn't find anything wrong after looking under the car and hooking to the computer.....but never drove it.

Curious if anyone has experienced anything like this. It's becoming a bit scary.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I think you need to stop driving it and insist the dealer drive it. From what you're describing there might be a leak in the vacuum assist, and possibly air in the brake lines.

·
Registered
844 Posts
That sounds scary! As Uke suggests, take it back and insist they fix it. Probably best to demo the fault if you can.

My car has been fine, about 6k miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Car is at the dealer and boss doesn't want it back. My wife is scared of me in the car.

For those with a 2015, if you are at a complete stop, is there any movement in the brake pedal? Can you press the pedal in more? Or is the pedal is firm, solid, and doesn't move?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Car is at the dealer and boss doesn't want it back. My wife is scared of me in the car.

For those with a 2015, if you are at a complete stop, is there any movement in the brake pedal? Can you press the pedal in more? Or is the pedal is firm, solid, and doesn't move?

The normal brake travel should be less than an inch, it sounds like you have air in the brake system which is a serious safety issue , take the car back to the dealer and refuse to drive it until they have fixed it - better yet speak to the head honcho and get them to collect it/them.

I don't know where you are in the world but wherever it is selling a new car with defective brake has got to be against the law!

I suspect a another recall thread!

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Def not right, for eg why doesn't the abs kick in?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Def not right, for eg why doesn't the abs kick in?
My guess is that the ABS knows there's sponginess (due to air) in the brake lines. The actuators probably don't have enough oomph to pulse a spongy brake line, so they don't even try.

I'm amazed that the ABS system isn't throwing a code.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Boss has been fighting with Mini for nearly a month now. Two of our cars have been inspected by the regional manager and by a Mini 'forensic' inspector. They say they don't find anything. I made a trip to the dealer to show them what was going on and got the nicest and most polite 'go away' that I have ever received. Sales guy passed to manager, manager wouldn't do anything bu talk to me. Said I had to make an appointment when the GM, DM, and Mini rep would all be there. He would not even walk to the car with me for him to show the issues with the brakes at rest having so much travel....although he agreed they should not do what I described.

I'm nothing short of disappointed with this dealer and with Mini.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'll bet you feel like driving the car through the showroom window - just tell them, "There's something wrong with the brakes".

That's the saddest story I've read about dealers. Maybe that's why they're called dealers.

·
Registered
80 Posts
That is terrible support, considering you've bought 4 cars! It's time to find out if they value your business - not sure of consumer rights in the US but over here we can reject new cars within 6 months.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unacceptable car behaviour. Unacceptable dealer behaviour. What more is there to say?

Other than 'where in the world are you?'.

Derek

·
Super Moderator
7,892 Posts
Yes where are you. Go to another dealer if you can. Here in the uk you could get an independent vehicle inspection. All very odd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What is crazy is that any sane human could start the car, then just press the brakes to see they are not right.

I'm in California. There is a 'no cooling off' period on cars. You can't return it period. The burden is on you to show there is something wrong and only if the dealer/manufacturers rep is feeling generous will they even consider a buy-back. The fact that they even had more than a regular service person look at it is a rarity here in the states. It is a relentless process and I would guess most people give up.

Went through it with an Audi A6 my wife bought and had it for service 23 times in one year. They refused to admit there was anything wrong. Finally sold the car and never went to that dealer or bought another Audi.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm in California. There is a 'no cooling off' period on cars. You can't return it period. The burden is on you to show there is something wrong and only if the dealer/manufacturers rep is feeling generous will they even consider a buy-back. The fact that they even had more than a regular service person look at it is a rarity here in the states. It is a relentless process and I would guess most people give up.

Went through it with an Audi A6 my wife bought and had it for service 23 times in one year. They refused to admit there was anything wrong. Finally sold the car and never went to that dealer or bought another Audi.
:eek:

They have you over a barrel then, got your money and don't care about after-sales support.

·
Registered
280 Posts
'not sure of consumer rights in the US but over here we can reject new cars within 6 months.'

In California, you drive out with it - it's yours, period. Only the 'Lemon Law' to protect you.

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

"They have you over a barrel then, got your money and don't care about after-sales support.''

YES, and the barrel has spikes in it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts