Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to know if anyone has the cornering lights built into their headlights as I've tried to look at mine and I don't have even though it's the 2022 model. I also tried the bad weather lights which supposedly replace the fog lights but they don't seem to do much at all as only the rear fog lights are activated and I can't See any change in the headlights? Isn't this option meant to activate the cornering lights, if so I don't have them..

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Your car should have them. They are integral to the headlight assembly.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Here is a YouTube link of some person showing it functioning at night, so hopefully you have an idea of what to expect:

Fast forward to 5:50 where the person demonstrates the feature.

I have a 2022 Hardtop JCW and it has cornering lights.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your car should have them. They are integral to the headlight assembly.

View attachment 75710

Here is a YouTube link of some person showing it functioning at night, so hopefully you have an idea of what to expect:

Fast forward to 5:50 where the person demonstrates the feature.

I have a 2022 Hardtop JCW and it has cornering lights.
I've checked and I've definitely not got them.. Seems to be only on level 3 and the one above that 😢

·
Registered
Mini Electric level 2 - 2021
591 Posts
Not on my level 2 either, looking at the headlamp assemblies they seem to have the same swivel internals as my Focus ST3 (where they do work), so I would guess BMW used the same internals on all models but disabled the function in the software unless you paid extra.

BTW I hate it on my Focus, I want to see where I'm going "now" rather than blinding someone around a corner.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not on my level 2 either, looking at the headlamp assemblies they seem to have the same swivel internals as my Focus ST3 (where they do work), so I would guess BMW used the same internals on all models but disabled the function in the software unless you paid extra.

BTW I hate it on my Focus, I want to see where I'm going "now" rather than blinding someone around a corner.
There seems to be a reflector to the left and right within the headlights on the level 3 which I don't have on mine. Don't suppose Bimmercode would enable anything like what you mention would it

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
277 Posts
To answer the opening question - no, I don't miss it. I've had cars before with cornering lights and they have never been much more than a gimmick. The same for foglights - I can count on one hand the number of times front foglights have actually been useful, that's in over 30 years of driving. A year into the SE and I haven't missed either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine is a 2023 US base model. It has cornering lights. I think the lights need to either be in auto or on to activate them. I haven't been doing much night driving...

Edit:
If my headlights are in auto, I have cornering lights.
If I turn the headlights on, no cornering lights.

·
Registered
40 Posts
To answer the opening question - no, I don't miss it. I've had cars before with cornering lights and they have never been much more than a gimmick. The same for foglights - I can count on one hand the number of times front foglights have actually been useful, that's in over 30 years of driving. A year into the SE and I haven't missed either.
It depends where you live. I lived in Wales for 20 years. Real foglights and no dip headlights were most definitely useful there. Many times they doubled visibility from 15' to 30'... Most modern factory 'foglights' are actually just auxillary dip lights and not optimised for actual fog. A lot of cars won't even let you turn off headlights to use foglights.
I live the other side of the pond in NC now. In 7 years, I have yet to see fog that actually warrants fog lights.

·
Registered
2021 F56 Cooper SE Level 2
277 Posts
It depends where you live. I lived in Wales for 20 years. Real foglights and no dip headlights were most definitely useful there. Many times they doubled visibility from 15' to 30'... Most modern factory 'foglights' are actually just auxillary dip lights and not optimised for actual fog. A lot of cars won't even let you turn off headlights to use foglights.
I live the other side of the pond in NC now. In 7 years, I have yet to see fog that actually warrants fog lights.
Fair enough, and I agree that most 'foglights' are simply decorative trinkets. The best I ever had were on my Yeti - the pre-facelift one with big, round foglights - those were awesome (but, again, very rarely needed in anger). Only once ever can I remember having to use front foglights with sidelights and that was in thick falling snow - the car was an RX-8 which was very tricky in slippery conditions so I was going pretty slowly anyway!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts