Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else find the F56 radiator too exposed to road debris given the large openings in the grills?

There is plenty of road debris kicked up on highways here in the tropics (hence I have film protection for the front end paint on all our cars as well as grills to protect the radiator on our 997).

Attachments

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wouldn't say this is exposed any more really than a lot of cars out there.

Think about what the engineers have to do. They have a substantially smaller engine bay, and have to provide the maximum amount of cooling potential for the engine compartment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes there is a fine balance between airflow and radiator protection. The gaps on the MINI grills seem too large for me, exposing the radiator to rocks. Plus the MINI is a relatively low car, also exposing it to road debris. If someone made a kit like this (in black) for the MINI I'd buy it. This one has already taken a hit right in the middle protecting the center radiator.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
If you're worried easy to attach a mesh grille. I had a mk 2 mr2 renown for holing radiators due to stones. Plastic mesh with tie wraps sorted it simple.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes there is a fine balance between airflow and radiator protection. The gaps on the MINI grills seem too large for me, exposing the radiator to rocks. Plus the MINI is a relatively low car, also exposing it to road debris. If someone made a kit like this (in black) for the MINI I'd buy it. This one has already taken a hit right in the middle protecting the center radiator.
That's not a kit as much as it is custom fabrication of readily available mesh. When I had my Subaru, a lot of WRX guys would buy that mesh and integrate those into their bumpers.

I would still recommend against those as they hinder air flow and cooling. The last thing anyone wants to do is restrict air from cooling the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts