Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a cracked windscreen which I think is not repairable. I'm putting off getting it changed incase it creates more issues and rattles. Has anyone have any experience of getting their own replaced?

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
We had a new one in our r series. Luckily not yet in our f. Great job. Can't see why it would create rattles. They simply remove the plastic trims outside cut the glue and reglue a new screen in with new trims rear view mirror gets removed and refixed of course.

·
Registered
386 Posts
What kind of options do you have? If you have automatic high beam or any other camera sensors, make sure the installer is aware.

I had the windshield in my X1 replaced two years ago and the automatic high beam function has not worked properly since.

As for rattles, that should not be an issue at all ... best to have it replaced before it gets too bad.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We had a new one in our r series. Luckily not yet in our f. Great job. Can't see why it would create rattles. They simply remove the plastic trims outside cut the glue and reglue a new screen in with new trims rear view mirror gets removed and refixed of course.
Ok thanks for the info. Did they use a genuine BMW windscreen or some aftermarket one? Was thinking rattles where the screen meets the dash inside, enough rattles as it is ?

·
Super Moderator
8,749 Posts
I think it was after market but perfect match. No contact with dash as it sits in a bed of mastic type glue. You'll be fine. I worry more about them scratching the paint on the frame and it rusting so I watched him like a hawk. Likewise if you have a heated front screen make sure it works after they've done the job!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Just make sure they replace the A pillar covers with new ones and dont try to refit the old ones. At least some of the clips will break and some fitters have been known to stick them down with the screen sealant

·
Registered
386 Posts
My replacement was OEM. The problem is that the camera sensors are mounted in the mirror assembly. Just make sure they are aware the car is equipped with them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Had an OEM fitted by Autoglass on my F56. Job seems fine, sensors for lights and wipers work fine although there is a small annoying air bubble in the sensor unit now it's been fitted back in although does seem to affect the operation of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you have the front camera, it might be worth taking it to the dealer to replace the windshield as I think the camera needs recalibrating when the windshield is replaced. Plus, if anything happens where the sensors or camera aren't working properly, it's on the dealer to fix.

Reactions: daydotz

·
Registered
7 Posts
Done my windscreen replaced at dealer with OEM one. Only problem was the delivery time, about one month. No problems noted to installation. Rain sensor needs configuration , this operation can be done only by dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got my windscreen replaced recently by the dealer with OEM one. Got hit by a stone from a passing car, resulti - a big crack and screen need it to be replaced. Rain sensor had to be replaced together, because, according to the dealer, they cannot reglue old one. Original screen from the factory was Saint Gobain Securit, new one is FUYAO with a Mini Logo, but without Bulldog and Safety by Mini logo. Regarding rain sensor - the one from the factory had air bubbles in it, same wit a replacement.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Mine took a stone driving back from California, big long crack on the passenger side. It gets replaced when the new one arrives, dealer said it could take a week or two.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Had my screen replaced recently with no issues at all. Had it changed in the driveway. In the UK screens are generally covered on the car insurance with and exceeds to pay. It was not a Mini screen but a very good replacement. They initially brought the wrong screen as I have the camera , rain sensors etc.

If you have the cameras etc then it has to be calibrated so I had to take it to the main dealer who did it while I waited. This cost was covered by the insurance.
I watched the fitter change the screen and it is quite an easy process so I wouldn’t have any worries as long it’s a reputable company doing the change. No leaks ,rattles after 4 months.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.