Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, trying to decide on which things I need to spec into my purchase of Mini Cooper S or JCW as I mentioned in a poll I set to get a flavour of what people think of their own cars. And I've found a fair few with roof rails fitted, so these will defo take a roof rack, but wanted to know if you all have any experience fitting a roof rack to the 3 door hatch without any manufacturer fitted and spec'd at purchase? I have heard tell of people fitting a Thule short roof adapter kit, but these don't appear to be sold as comparable with the 3 door F56 type Mini Coops. Info will be gratefully received :cool:

· Registered
365 Posts
The moment I decide I need a rack on my MINI I’ll have come to realise I got the wrong car! /ducks /runs

I’ve often considered getting a Honda Ridgeline for semi-regular trips to Home Depot/Bunnings/B&Q and the garden centre, but they rent vans for 90 minutes at $30/£20, so…

ALL that said, if I had no options (I can strap sporting equipment to the rack on the wife’s Crosstrek), I’d spend good money on the best Thule or Yakima system before letting anyone drill my car’s sheetmetal.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a local shop here in Colorado that will put one on. I am LEEEEERRRY! Holes in the roof == leak as far as I am concerned
Defo LOLs, I wouldn't want to drill holes through the roof or let anyone else do that in order to get a roof rack on :) I contacted MINI in the Uk about it during my initial questions on one of the cars I am looking at currently, and they said the roof rails on the 3 doors can only be put on when the car is being produced at factory as once fitted the roof has no facility to allow mounting through it and they advise against it.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The moment I decide I need a rack on my MINI I’ll have come to realise I got the wrong car! /ducks /runs

I’ve often considered getting a Honda Ridgeline for semi-regular trips to Home Depot/Bunnings/B&Q and the garden centre, but they rent vans for 90 minutes at $30/£20, so…

ALL that said, if I had no options (I can strap sporting equipment to the rack on the wife’s Crosstrek), I’d spend good money on the best Thule or Yakima system before letting anyone drill my car’s sheetmetal.
I hear ya, I would not let the top sheet be drilled by me or anyone else. I have seen 4 or 5 good looking approved used cars with rails fitted by Mini at production, so they will be ok, and a high quality rack would be the order of the day as well, rails or no rails :) I would only want the roof rack for the long trip I do to the Alps every year from the UK. It would take my skis and allow my dog to have the passenger seat :) Been using my 320d BMW Estate for the last decade for this trip, and the Mini will be great on the windy roads of the Alps once I've taken kit out of the car at resort :cool:

· Registered
141 Posts
Defo LOLs, I wouldn't want to drill holes through the roof or let anyone else do that in order to get a roof rack on :) I contacted MINI in the Uk about it during my initial questions on one of the cars I am looking at currently, and they said the roof rails on the 3 doors can only be put on when the car is being produced at factory as once fitted the roof has no facility to allow mounting through it and they advise against it.
This must be different for the 3 door maybe have changed then as I had a 2015 5 door that I bought an as an ex demo and my dealership got a kit off MINI to fit the rails. The car actually had the mounting points under the skin as standard and MINI supplied a template and guide system for drilling the holes. It worked well and as far as I could tell was as well fitted as factory. No noise or leaks, I had the car for 4 years with no issues and I used the roof for canoes, kayaks and mountain bikes so it got its fair share of weight.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This must be different for the 3 door maybe have changed then as I had a 2015 5 door that I bought an as an ex demo and my dealership got a kit off MINI to fit the rails. The car actually had the mounting points under the skin as standard and MINI supplied a template and guide system for drilling the holes. It worked well and as far as I could tell was as well fitted as factory. No noise or leaks, I had the car for 4 years with no issues and I used the roof for canoes, kayaks and mountain bikes so it got its fair share of weight.
Interesting, I asked about getting the dealer at Mini to fit some rails for me ad they said that it cannot be done as a retrofit. Could be they just don't want to spend time doing something like that. Thule looks like the only option then.

· Registered
141 Posts
Yes as I said above it can be done but it all depends on whether the dealer is willing. When I got mine done the dealer said the senior guy in the workshop done it said he wouldn’t like to do it again. On the other hand I spoke to another dealer and they said they refused to do it but they did convince their body repair shop to do it. It could have changed now as this was 6 years ago when I got mine done. I can see MINI discontinuing something like this if they didn’t get much call for it.

· Super Moderator
8,907 Posts
You'd really happily drill into the roof-with the associated rust issues too-and as for fixing-mmm ! It would scare me big time!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts