Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your views about dash cam's?

I'd like to have one fitted with a hard wire kit to give "parking protection" too but I'm concerned about it being in my line of sight up by the rear view mirror.

My windscreen has a black dotted shaded strip right underneath the rear view mirror which may mean it'll have to be mounted a bit low?

Does anyone have a picture of a dash cam fitted to their Mini?

·
Registered
296 Posts
What are your views about dash cam's?

I'd like to have one fitted with a hard wire kit to give "parking protection" too but I'm concerned about it being in my line of sight up by the rear view mirror.

My windscreen has a black dotted shaded strip right underneath the rear view mirror which may mean it'll have to be mounted a bit low?

Does anyone have a picture of a dash cam fitted to their Mini?
I was looking at getting one for my Mini. Was thinking of putting it directly under/behind the rear view mirror too. Wouldn't think it would be a problem, anywhere else and I'd be a bit concerned of blocking my line of sight.

The main thing that's stopped me from getting one is hiding the wiring away. I don't feel comfortable ripping up the inside of my brand new car unless I know exactly what I'm doing!

In my opinion I think that everyone should have dash cams as they come in extremely handy in any insurance claims, although I'm always concerned that it'll give evidence of me speeding or something! Nevertheless, if you do install one, i'd be interested in a quick guide to the wiring/installation process

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a Blackvue DR600. It fits very snug behind the mirror and from the drivers perspective you wouldn't know its there. I don't have it wired permanently, but I do have very hidden wiring. The Mini's power sockets stay live for about 15mins after the car is locked, so you get recording for that time.

I don't have a picture at the movement because I have just picked up my replacement MCS and haven't had time to fit it yet, but I feel unprotected each time I drive without it.

One this I would advise against is a dash cam with a built in screen, you want the most discreet device you can find. The Blackvue uses a smartphone if you want to view the footage without removing the SD card.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have a Blackvue DR600. It fits very snug behind the mirror and from the drivers perspective you wouldn't know its there. I don't have it wired permanently, but I do have very hidden wiring. The Mini's power sockets stay live for about 15mins after the car is locked, so you get recording for that time.

I don't have a picture at the movement because I have just picked up my replacement MCS and haven't had time to fit it yet, but I feel unprotected each time I drive without it.

One this I would advise against is a dash cam with a built in screen, you want the most discreet device you can find. The Blackvue uses a smartphone if you want to view the footage without removing the SD card.
Excellent, I;'d be really interested in how you hid the wiring, I'm also not fussed about it being wired properly for use when it's parked, just as long as it records when driving.

I've done loads of research and most people share the same views as you, in that a screen for playback in the car isn't needed. They come with sd cards, and as you rightly say it's always good to have them as discreet as possible. Also, if they support video playback, it usually drains the battery down so much when it's not plugged in that they are useless without utilising the sd card anyway.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've been thinking about getting a Koonlung K1s dual cam system. Individual cameras feed back to a central recorder that's the size of a pack of playing cards (with built in screen for camera adjustment). So can leave the recorder in the glovebox.

Can wiring be simply pushed behind the windscreen trim without damaging it?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi all,

I have had front and rear Dashcams for a while now.
Mine are both Mini 0801 cameras.

Both are just plugged into the 12volt sockets front and rear as I did not want to hard wire them.

They switch on when the ignition is turned on and stay on for a few minutes after the car is turned off and locked.

Front camera

Cable tucked into headlining, around A pillar and down behind door seal etc

From outside.

Rear camera. Cable needs a loop so that hatch can open, a bit unsightly but not noticeable from outside car due to privacy glass. Again cable is simply tucked into trim.

From outside.

Link to my youtube channel with some video (previous R56 cooper).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeCoz4eaf3LYtDHvdTKbSMQ

Also check out this guys website and youtube channel, he reviews lots of dashcams and is a really good source of information.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5I2hjZYiW9gZPVkvzM8_Cw

Hope this helps.;)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for that. Does the headlining pop out easily to tuck the wires in? Or is it really fiddly? Also, how long is the wire on the front to be able to stretch to the socket easily?
Ok, headlining is rather flimsy at the windscreen end, so really easy to insert blunt screwdriver (carefully) and open up a gap to insert the cable into.
Cable then runs under headlining and down the front of the A pillar.
Turns 90 degrees and goes around the groove (as per the pic), and then under Door seal down to below dashboard.
Then towards the front of footwell and down under floormat across to the 12v socket.
So you can imagine this particular cable has ample length.
I didn't want to risk removing the A pillar cover as there is an airbag underneath, so just tucked the cable between the front of the pillar and windscreen.:D

As long as reasonable care is taken you will not damage any trim.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.