Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Looking at picking up a F55 MCS in the near future but a couple of people have raised red flags about the build quality of the latest minis. The paint seems to be a semi common problem based on other threads and people have mentioned other issues with consistent rattling, issues with door seals etc.

I appreciate there will always be an unlucky few but if these problems are really common it is a bit of a concern when dropping £22k on a car.

Any thoughts and experiences from long term owners would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
There are quite a few threads on here about reliability.

ive never seen a bad paint job on a n f series mini. Inspect it when you leavr thge deaslker though!you cant always trust them.the paint may bedelicate though and PROPER GRIT FREE WASHING TECHNIQUES essential anyway with any car. Door seal issue is f56 only and new seal jow jn use and trim rattles affect some owners. 2014 (sept) cooper here and so far so delighted.
If you buy new now i think you have every chance of getting a great car.
If you read honest john .co.uk you will get an impartial run down on any cars inherent weakness and faults. If you read the forums every car will scare you!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Here is a reliability website where owners report in every month wheather they have an issue or not. The data base builds on this to search for reliability and quality issues and customer satisfaction. I use it to report issues with my vehicles.

http://www.truedelta.com

Lots of issues with the start of the 3rd Gen...2014, 2015 and 2016 have been talked about and documented here as well as other websites. Perhaps these issues are history when the 2017 are delivered and a history is built up over time ?

Good Luck.

Quality comes down to several factors, timing, dealer and luck. The car is just fabulous and a real treat to drive and own. A smile on ones face when driving it never seems to fade. This generation I find really feels like go kart handling. Whereby the prior gens really didn't feel as good as this iteration.

Personally I am under the opinion that the car is over engineered and many things can be standardized, this eliminating issues that buyers have been reporting. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
My Mini was $$23.5K (3 Cylinder basic basic everything) I had one Recall the Mirror came loose replaced for free under warranty 4 Tire Sensors came on all at the same time. A Software update/reboost. Had a stinky A/C but besides that no problems with the car. I now have 20K on the Clock love the built quality and the 3 Cylinder Engine is fantastic. The Paint is a little thin but so is my hair. :laugh::laugh:

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Dont worry it really is a superb car. The trouble with sites such as true delta is that happy people dont generally bother with them so they can if taken literally create worries. I bought a golf r32 and read the forums after. Seemed i had none of the usual faults and loads of strange unique ish ones! You can be lucky or unlucky ! Same with this site weve had members on here ........ as soon as issue is solved they disappear

What they do is give a good idea re trends and the site seems to confirm the usual ie adopters iron out issues for later cars. Good time to buy a mini i feel. Test drive one you wont regret it.

If you look at trends on this thread(and bare in Mind mini produce a car every 90 seconds) and opinion only so don t shoot me down in flames folks;

Some recalls affecting esrly cars ,a batch of incorrectly assemble 2.0 petrol engines. Poor door seals on early cars and a batch of poor shock absorberse ,then the usual isolated electrical gremlins and these include phone connections, a mare for any software engineer, some trim rattles (framelss windows creak if you put t he wrong lube on them)poor dealers (pdi paint prep etc) who seem to be reluctant to resolve issues .
Personally ive had rear shocks and door and a seat recall that didnt sem to affect my car . Far fewer issues than my mothers 'reliable ' toyota avensis! And the car never ails to make me smile to drive to look at. Fast quiet and so cheap to run. Yes some cars do have issues they allcan. I could give you a horror story for many perceived'reliable' cars but you can tell a lot of us on here are hooked!
Some cars seem to have trim rattles

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Actually Service Campaign (politically correct terminology) and PuMA are a positive in my opinion. It keeps the automakers on their toes by dealing with corrective action for issues that are transparent in many cases to the owner and in some other cases they have already happened. A very proactive approach. Years ago, and I mean years ago, when you heard of the word "recall" you wouldn't buy the product or brand. Today it is a whole different story. Much better times for the consumer under these circumstances. MINI/BMW ALWAYS went 110% over and above the call when I had issues with my vehicle. Part of the learning curve. When you have the assurances of a GREAT Dealer and Manuf. standing behind their reputation and brand, it is in their best interest to serve you well. A pleasure to own this brand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well I have had mine for 18 months and have gladly traded it back in for a BMW.In my honest opinion it is the worst car I have ever owned.
I paid £25k for this so called premium brand and all I can say is what a pile of junk it was.Noisy suspension,rattly interior,super soft paint,door seals that rubbed the paint away,10k depreciation in less than 18 months.

Was delighted to get rid of it.Now back in a premium car BMW.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well I have had mine for 18 months and have gladly traded it back in for a BMW.In my honest opinion it is the worst car I have ever owned.
I paid £25k for this so called premium brand and all I can say is what a pile of junk it was.Noisy suspension,rattly interior,super soft paint,door seals that rubbed the paint away,10k depreciation in less than 18 months.

Was delighted to get rid of it.Now back in a premium car BMW.
You do realise the MINI is a BMW with a different badge?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
I too thought the same about d6's post but decided nOt to react however now someone has.....were i fed up with mini why buy a sister car made with the same basic software engines and get the same paint done by an inferior process(uk factory is far newer). A friend has a three year old 3 series had a bump and the resprayed bits make bmws look like orange peel. Id suggest mercedes audi lexus (boring).Each to their own.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I realise what you are saying but completely disagree with you regarding quality.
I have just changed from a 25k cooper sd 64 plate to a brand new 120i m sport.With dealer discounts I payed the same price for the BMW as the Mini
and there is just no comparison in my mind.

Our Mini was very noisy on the road,had numerous rattles,clonks etc that were never rectified,very soft paint such so that it has now had a front end repaint before resale and has only done 11k miles,door seals that rubbed the paint off twice.All in all a very poor buying experience and I don't even want to go into the Mini dealerships attempts at customer service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have been battling a passenger seat noise issue on my F54 for several weeks and the car has been in numerous times. The dealership has been working with me and is doing everything I would expect them to do so far. My wife and I love the car but I can't stand to sit in the passenger seat because my whole focus is off of enjoying the car, it's on the noise in the seat. The car puts a smile on my wife's face and I like driving the little 1.5l, I just haven't driven it enough to be able to give you a complete idea of what you are getting into. the car is close to 800 miles. I will say this. I had a 2013 Mustang and the front bumper had to be repainted within the first week of purchase because the paint was so thin you could see the bumper near the head lights. I replaced the rear shift bracket because it was like they used a rain gutter strap, flimsy. I traded this and my 2006 VW GTI that I had for 10 years in on the Mini. I don't have enough time to tell you about the issues I had with the GTI but lets just say new model year and I had to work hand in hand with the techs to solve stuff at the beginning with that car. It was fun to drive and after a a few years I didn't have anymore issues with it. the point I am getting to is there are going to be problems here and there, you may luck out with no issues ever or you may have got the car that has all the issues. It boils down to if you really like the car and are willing to work through the initial issues. I plan to do the same with my Mini as I did with my GTI, just work through the one issue that I am having with the car and enjoy it. Oh before I forget, the suspension is going to appear a bit noisy or stiff but that is because it has a sport suspension. Clunking or scary noises are not normal.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Yes totally agree we shouldnt have issues but sometimes they happen(and even the most perceived reliable brands are just not,ie golf (i too had endless issues with an r32non of them the common ones) but if you do a good dealer is the key! (And perhaps a good attitude to get the dealer onside?!!!)

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Locus, rattles can be a pain in the bum to find. Have the wife driving you around while you hold a tube to your ear and see if you can locate the noise or ask the dealer if they would be willing to replace the seat with a new one.

Just crank up some music of your choice ( it calms the nerves kills the rattle) and you will forget all about it. This one would be a good start to kill the rattle.:D:D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.