Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On balance, I quite like CarPlay. In fact, I got an iPhone and made the switch from Android to take advantage. My commute is around 20 miles and about an hour and five minutes in rush hour, and an ever changing flow chart of various options depending on traffic practically all the way, and having access to Waze and Google Maps on the move is nice and obviously a much better and more sensible alternative to leaving the house 15 minutes earlier.

However, I can't listen to car-based FM or DAB, I can't play music off my pen drive for more than a few minutes before the next navigation instruction issued via CarPlay which then either prompts the car to decide my car-based audio I had must now be changed to an audio app from my phone. The very first time I used CarPlay from my phone to the car, somewhere either in the car interface or actually on my phone I was given the chance to "stream audio" and I obviously chose yes, thinking this would be a great thing. In my mind, if I could find that option again and flick it to "no", maybe my life will be perfect. But maybe it's a red herring and it wouldn't change anything anyway.

Is anybody else suffering from this? What's the solution? Is there one or is it just a necessary evil of having CarPlay and an issue with the system whatever car it's in rather than one specific to MINI?

Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer using the Mini navigation over the Apple CarPlay apps but if I do and using Spotify changing back is messy. It is like you either use the in car system or CarPlay can’t do both or mix and match. Apple should have settings so you can set preferences to either use in car systems or CarPlay app.

I also sometimes find when hop into my car sometimes CarPlay doesn’t start intermittently or a delay I use it in wifi mode so could be why. So yeah similar for me too. I hope With iOS 14 the improve it so can set default.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Carplay + Waze every time. Even without a route set it tells me of upcoming speed cameras, potholes, police and breakdowns.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'm a self-professed Apple fanboy and I don't like CarPlay at all (particularly in cars that such well integrated ICE like MINI's and BMW's). I also find the wireless CarPlay in my 2019 F57 to be quite buggy in that it sometimes takes an inordinate amount of time to connect, the sound often cuts out for a second periodically, and it can be slow to respond at times. I have he same experience with wireless CarPlay in my 2018 BMW. I just stick to music from my phone over Bluetooth and use the MINI's built-in navigation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts