Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a post by a mini dealership from Mexico confirming that Mini will soon have Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto available ...

Does anyone know if this is true?

If yes, will there be an update for our cars to install or will it just be available just for new vehicles?

Is it the end for Mini Connected and its latest and worst "downgrade"?

Which features do these programs offer?

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
likely to be new customers only as Apple CarPlay is built around a "touch" interface :(

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yes, it's been officially announced that BMWs and MINIs will have CarPlay support in the future, but as Hurbert said, it will mostly likely be for new customers as typically CarPlay requires a touch screen. Either way, there's no time table, or any other details besides that they're going to support it. My guess is we'll see on the LCI refresh around 2017-2018.

This would be a most welcome upgrade. Imagine all the apps you use on your phone, accessible from the car's screen. Kind of like what MINI Connected tries to do without all the cumbersome hookups and separate apps.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Yes, it's been officially announced that BMWs and MINIs will have CarPlay support in the future, but as Hurbert said, it will mostly likely be for new customers as typically CarPlay requires a touch screen. Either way, there's no time table, or any other details besides that they're going to support it. My guess is we'll see on the LCI refresh around 2017-2018.

This would be a most welcome upgrade. Imagine all the apps you use on your phone, accessible from the car's screen. Kind of like what MINI Connected tries to do without all the cumbersome hookups and separate apps.
I'm so glad I didn't spend the extra $ on Visual Boost or the XL Mini Connected....just keep up with things at my own pace with the iPhone and forget the electronic gizmos in the car, since it will be outdated quicker than you can say "why'd I spend that $ on those options?"

·
Registered
8 Posts

I'm going to hedge my bets the other way - Audi is running them in new models without touch screens. And given the position of the displays in MINI and BMW, it would be incredibly uncomfortable to use while driving (although that might be the point). That being said, I'm not sure if I would care - the only feature I absolutely would love to have right now is Google Play Music full integration, but I can live with BT.

(Also, FYI, finally got my new baby Hotaru last night. She's gorgeous. Even bought an iPhone 5c to use for MINI connected that stays 24/7 in the car. :) )

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I'm going to hedge my bets the other way - Audi is running them in new models without touch screens. And given the position of the displays in MINI and BMW, it would be incredibly uncomfortable to use while driving (although that might be the point). That being said, I'm not sure if I would care - the only feature I absolutely would love to have right now is Google Play Music full integration, but I can live with BT.

(Also, FYI, finally got my new baby Hotaru last night. She's gorgeous. Even bought an iPhone 5c to use for MINI connected that stays 24/7 in the car. :) )
I didn't realize that yes, it does indeed work without a touchscreen!

Here's a video of it in action with the Audi MMI setup:
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/08/audis-latest-supports-android-auto-and-carplay/

Given that a controller would work, I would love to see it retrofitted to existing MINIs with VB or XL.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Having been an Audi "flagship customer" (their term, not mine) for many years I can assure you that Apple Play will not be retro-available for MMI. I doubt BMW will be any different.

·
Registered
235 Posts
The ability to use apps whilst driving is a step too far, it's a distraction and dangerous.

Reactions: jeremybingham

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The ability to use apps whilst driving is a step too far, it's a distraction and dangerous.
It's no different than anything already built in to them now. Keep in mind not ALL apps support CarPlay. However, being able to use navigation apps like Waze, Google Maps/Apple Maps, or audio apps like Pandora, Spotify with a native interface is very appealing. The framework is there to also let car manufacturers make apps that interface with the car so you can do things like control climate or settings from within the CarPlay environment.

This is like the promise of the MINI Connected app without the cumbersome wired setup or relying on MINI to support particular apps. All would be managed by iOS and the experience would be consistent on any CarPlay supported vehicle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Having struggled, like many others, with Connected I'm glad they are giving up on it to be honest. The interface is clunky and the functionality only works some of the time. While my current Mini may not be able to take advantage of Android Auto, I can hope for the future. Like bjblyth, I'll be making up my spec list for my next Mini in 4 or so years :)

Agreed that more "apps" in a car can be a distraction and a hazard, this point has been discussed many times in articles & comments about Carplay and Android Auto. The app set available in the car would be limited & functionality would be dictated by the stringent safety requirements of the country you live in. Personally, all I want to interact with while driving are reliable navigation, traffic information, phone calls (over car speakers), texts read out and music / audio. Leave social media and emails for later.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That link now returns a not found. What did it say? Was it credible? The URL says, "Mini look to bring Carplay with iOS 9"
It was a press release to say they were developing it for Minis. Didn't say whether it would be an upgrade or an option for new cars only - nor did it have dates from what I can remember! But it was an official Mini press release - perhaps one that shouldn't have been released!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts