Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My MCS only has 17" alloys as I didn't want to make the ride too hard but there is a a pretty large gap to the arches - anyone else notice this? Looks too big to me??

·
Registered
844 Posts
Your car will not look like this when on the move.

Also, the gap between the edge of the tyre and the arch is the same whatever wheel size you have as the combined wheel/tyre diameter must be about the same for the speedometer to remain accurate.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Kenl is right and I love how the car looks.I think my Cooper with 17" looks low and mean with small arch gap. Has your dealer removed the suspension ties they get delivered with.v important you check.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My Cooper looks just right with the wheels Mini supplied, in my case 16 inch but as Ken and Jeremy say, they have the same overall diameter as the 17s or 15s so fill the arches to the same extent.

The car looks low and mean as it is, any lower and it would seem like something had stood on it and squashed it, which is not a good look!

I think the millions Mini spend in developing the look of their cars has to be respected, I am certainly happy with the way it looks as standard.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
The F56 suffers with awful wheel gap!

If you want to remove it, then look into coilovers. :)
I agree! The look you want is a personal thing however. A car that is "slammed" isn't my thing, but I do notice a larger than desirable gap on some cars I see. I believe a lot of it has to do with the wheel style and car setup.

The F56 body is "larger" all over, but remains true to the MINI look! I recently switched from 17"x7" JCW Track Spoke Wheels & 205/45/17 Tires to the 18"x7.5" Cup Spoke Wheels & 205/40/18 tires on my JCW for this very reason. Plus, I just liked the actual appearance of the Cup Wheels better after seeing both on real cars (not just the configurator). Nothing better than seeing the real deal though (even beats pictures).

Yes, in theory the rolling diameter should be the same (or very close), but the "look" of the larger wheels really helps the appearance of the F56 IMO. Also, the color and over appearance of the car can affect the wheel well/tire gap appearance.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
It's definitely a personal thing beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I like my cars to look std. R99's is seriously slammed and very impressive though.take a look.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R99 is impressive and I'm too old to have it slammed lol. I certainly don't think its low and mean though, just feel it could do with being a little lower. My previous car was a Megane RS on 19" wheels so maybe just getting used to it.

How do I know if the ties have been removed as suggested above?

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I think a quick look at the springs would tell you. Have read of them being left on somewhere.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Are the "ties" not blocks that are wedged into the springs somehow.
It would be surprising and shocking if a dealer left them in place ?

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Are the "ties" not blocks that are wedged into the springs somehow.
It would be surprising and shocking if a dealer left them in place ?
Should be part of the normal detailing at any dealer. But, this discussion makes me wonder if some of the new JCW's I've spotted at dealers by looking at Autotrader here in the USA haven't forgotten to do something to the springs. Because, some of the cars I reviewed had horrible "gap" while others weren't all that bad!

Made me think of when I lower a car off the lift, once the wheels & tires have been elevated with springs extended, the car sits "high" until it's moved and "settles" to the proper height.

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
I've def seen on somewhere where one dealer missed them on the pdi ?

·
Super Moderator
7,899 Posts
Just measured my gaps Cooper 17" cosmos non run flats top of tyre to arch is 50mm all round approx and similar on our cooper s roadster.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just measured my gaps Cooper 17" cosmos non run flats top of tyre to arch is 50mm all round approx and similar on our cooper s roadster.
Mine is a Cooper S, 17" Cosmos with run flats, gap is closer to 70mm from top of tyre (outside edge) to arch - seems high :(

·
Registered
844 Posts
Did you measure with the hand brake (emergency brake for our US friends) on? That can keep the car on its tip toes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts