Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new F55 MINI came with the 16" Hankook Optimo H426 runflats. They don't seem very sticky at all. I gave them 400+ miles to get scuffed and to break in. Under moderate acceleration from a stop they spin and squeal like crazy, in first and second gear. Is it because I am not used to the power of the new MINI or are the tires not up to the task of a moderate launch? This is in mid mode, forget about sport mode.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Not all run-flat tyres are created equal...

My new F55 MINI came with the 16" Hankook Optimo H426 runflats. They don't seem very sticky at all. I gave them 400+ miles to get scuffed and to break in. Under moderate acceleration from a stop they spin and squeal like crazy, in first and second gear. Is it because I am not used to the power of the new MINI or are the tires not up to the task of a moderate launch? This is in mid mode, forget about sport mode.
Hi - I told my dealer that I would only accept my car if it had run-flat tyres from a brand I liked (Goodyear, Dunlop, Pirelli, Continental) - Hankook was a definite NO.

Fortunately, my car arrived shod with Pirelli... and these are proving to be the best run-flats I've had to date. They are much quieter & more comfortable (while offering better grip in wet or dry conditions) than I expected - and I'll definitely keep using this tyre in future.

If the Hankook tyres on your car are spoiling your enjoyment, make a formal complaint and get them changed!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have experienced Hankook tyres and they were very good, but they were EVO2's.
If the tyres fitted are not up to job complain to the dealer and get them changed, because a lack of traction under acceleration also indicates lack of lateral traction.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I complained to the dealer about the tires and they told me that they would be more than happy to sell me another set of tires, at retail cost of course. They told me that since I have driven my current tires off the lot they were technically used and they couldn't take them back, or some such horse manure. Anyway, I ended up ordering a set of Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position from the tire rack. I wish I had known about the Conti's before I placed my order. Hopefully the Potenza's will be decent.https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...enza+S-04+Pole+Position&partnum=045YR7S04PPXL

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
It's amazing the difference having the right set of tires can make!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I replaced the craptastic Hankook runflats with some Bridgestone Potenza S04 Pole Position tires. What a difference. Very happy now.

I hear you: Last month I replaced OEM run flats on my Q50S Hybrid with S04's and they are definitely great tires and a big improvement.

This morning I test drove a 2015 S equipped with Hungarian Hankook RFs and was concerned about their performance. This may be one of the first things on my to do list if I close the deal.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I have had good luck with the Continentals on some of my other wheeled toys, but for my driving habits I have had excellent results with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s. They are a great all season/all weather tire and they last a little longer than the Continentals that I have had in the past.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.