Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we got the "7" now should Mini offer more special/ limited Editions? I would love to see more "Heritage Editions" (Colors /Interior) that a customer could spec to his/her liking.

When people discuss special edition Minis, the popular perception is that this is phenomenon that kicked off during the late-1980s in order to sell more cars. But pretty much from the moment the Mini was launched back in 1959, dealers as well as its maker built bespoke and upgraded versions. However, it’s the 1979 20th anniversary edition – the 1100 Special – that probably remains AROnline‘s favourite of all.

The 1100 Special was launched in August 1979 the celebrate the Mini’s 20th anniversary. Unlike most that came before, the 1100 Special was mechanically, as well as cosmetically, upgraded. Powering the car was a 1098cc Clubman-specification engine, pushing out 45bhp and 57lb ft – and was the only non-Haynes fronted Mini to benefit from the 1100.

Visually, the 1100 Special was spot-on. It boasted metallic paint, graduated stripes, wheelarch extensions and stanard-fit alloys. Inside, it was equipped with the 1275GT’s instrument pack, and full-depth centre console. Contemporary advertising put it so well (underneath a very fetching interior shot) with its a pithy tag-line, ‘You take the Daimler dear, I’ll drive the Mini’.

In the end, 5100 were built after the initial planned run of 2500 sold out in double quick time, forcing BL to run off an additional 2600…

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/cars/mini-classic/mini-special-editions-1979-1100-special/

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
love the specials BUT TOTALLY AGREE with Dave; only if they are that-special-our Highgate cabrio came with special paint , stripes and lovely wheels=-diamond turned-nicest i have ever had on a car, plus leather stitched inlays on teh dash and lovely brown with turquoise piped seats to match; we called him Truffle as the roof was special-brown with a metallic fleck in it! Miss it now but it's owner lives locally and it still looks the biz!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Looks are important, but performance is what really interests me. If the Challenge 210 had been made available in the US I would most likely have sprung for it. The GP not so much as I don't like the color scheme, but the performance is wonderful. However, I will most likely stay with the JCW models. But, a blast from the past mini with current technology would be off the Richter Scale for me, but it will never happen with all the nanny government requirements!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yessss....the Highgate was one of my favorite special editions. Those brown seats with the contrasting blue piping were beautiful

Reactions: jeremybingham
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.