Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 14 s model has run flat tires, they are really cool, and I've had to drive with 0 air in it and it performed great. But are you guys keeping the run flats? How do you like the performance ? Would regular non run flats be better? Just want some insight because when I break at high speeds, I feel the run flats giving and almost throwing me into a complete slide, so I will be changing them in the near future

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Only until I wear them out. I took them off my R56 JCW, my C7, and I will on the F 56 JCW as well. I am sort of reviewing what to replace them with now. I replaced the ones on the R and the C7 with Michelin Pilot Sport A/s3s. I am debating now about the Michelin Super Sports or Goodyear Eagles on the F56 JCW. I am not a fan of runflats, rough riding, noisy, and not as responsive as standard performance tires. I don't drive the toys very often in the winter and never on snow or ice, but I do drive occasionally on cold clear days and I am somewhat concerned about handling then although I do tend to hole up on those days. I carry a VIAIR 12 volt compressor, Dynaplug kit, and a large can of slime with me. I will take my chances and if I have a catastrophic tire failure I will call Onstar or Mini and wait for the rollback.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Took one long driving trip, came home and dumped them. Have had one flat in ten years

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Florida so I have 0 winter concerns, in just looking for a good performance tire, let me know what you end up grabbing! Mine are still at about 80% so it's stupid to replace right now. But I definitely will

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I ditched the run flats within a week of getting my car. Changed to Goodyear all season tires in a wider size. World of difference in the ride, noise, and handling. Like KYDan said, keep a slime kit handy and Mini Service on speed-dial. I have the Mini Road Assistance app on my phone.

http://slime.com/223/products/safety-spair-70005/

·
Registered
375 Posts
Question: did all of you get the car factory delivered on run-flats? I was under the impression that all BMW products are at standard on run-flats. My BMW was but my new MCS isn't. It was delivered on Michelin Primacy non run-flats.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i hated the fun flats! i replaced mine with Michelin pilot super sports 215/45/17 around 2500 miles from new. Put the run flats in the attic. Real tires completely changed the nature of the car. No more wheel spin, quiet, improved handling. this is the way the cooper s should come from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
I had run cra*s on my r56 S -terrible uncompliant things;when i put my winter tyres on the difference was night and day! They were continental sport contact 3's i think so older tech and they are supposed to be improving BUT the walls have to be so stiff to maintain structure in the event of a flat i wonder how much better they can ever get; i DEFINITELY DID NOT TICK the runflat option ! And of course they are a lot more expensive! When i get a puncture i;ll regret it i suppose adn have to call out the emergency services!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My run-flat story

Just wanted to share my experience replacing OEM run-flats on my 2016 F56.

Purchased a new 2016 2-door cooper S in January as my daily ride. After a few weeks I realized that the car was much harsher than I expected both in Sport mode and in Mid (and harsher than the demo cars I test drove). So much so, that all I could think about was the harshness when I drove it. By the way, I have owned 2 Mazda Miata’s in the past and I thought the MINI was even harsher (although I did not use my Miata’s as my daily drive). I started to think about selling the car. I took it to the dealer to check suspension, they said all was normal. “That’s just how a MINI drives”, they claimed. Although I was reluctant to invest any more money in this car, in one last ditch attempt to keep the car, I decided to replace the OEM run –flats (Hankook Optimo H426 HRS 195/55/R16) with Michelin Sport A/S 3 non-run flats. Wow, what a difference! The car is now 20-25% less harsh (granted, very subjective) and handles way better then the run-flats. Car seems to stick to the road like glue around turns. Mind you, I still feel the bumps and potholes (it’s a MINI) but they are much less harsh and jarring then with the run-flats. I actually enjoy the car again and can drive without my attention constantly getting drawn to the harsh ride. So, if you are considering changing to non run-flats, it was well worth it for me. Change was significant. I am not necessarily suggesting the Michelin A/S 3, they were the best tire I could find in my size in local stock. There may be better tires out there. Can’t believe that MINI put such crappy tires on their cars. By the way, I sent an email to MINI customer service and all I got back was an indifferent “thanks for you story, happy motoring”. They did not seem to care at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks for the info!

How is the car under heavy braking with the new tyres on? I find my mini (with run flats) to be quite unstable when braking at speed especially on any kind of bend.

Been wondering if something's wrong as the car squirrels and is so unpredictable however thought most of this was due to poor traction from the crappy tyres.

And yes I will be changing to a/s 3s as soon as I run this set down :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
We don't mind them and have them on our X6 as well, both normal and Winter. Roads here though are super smooth, but even in Germany and Belgium RFs are ok - for us - especially for the security if (v remote) get a puncture.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Update on the run flats on our mini. During the MOTD and hard runs on the Tail of the Dragon, the run flats were definitely sub par with the handling and were sliding badly in the curves. We were washing the car and I noticed a large bulge on the left front tire sidewall. I called Michelin Onsite and they advised me that they would have a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+s for me there the next morning not later than 11:00 AM. They were there with the tires and installed them in a little over an hour. There was a large tear approximately 4-5" long in the inner liner that allowed the air to escape and it was trapped between the layers. The difference in ride quality and handling were quite remarkable. I should have changed them out before I drove the car off the dealer lot and attempted to sell them to get some sort of value with them. It would be nice to be able to order the car with the tires that you want on it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think that it was you got the runflats automatically when you got the Chilli pack, at least that was my understanding of it in the UK.

I have runflats on my F55 SD and had them on my Countryman SD. I did change the Countryman's tyres about 2 months before I got rid of it for the F55 and it does make a difference. Without the runflats, the Countryman was quieter, less rattles and smoother ride but I don't think it was worth doing till the runflats needed changed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll keep the run flats until they're done and then, judging by the comments here, change them for something better

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I'll keep the run flats until they're done and then, judging by the comments here, change them for something better
I'm with you! My Pirelli RF's are fine as far as I'm concerned but I've never driven anything else. I will likely swap out to non-RF's when my Pirellis wear down or, more likely, I'll get a second set of wheels & high perf all season tires....then I can compare. The RF's obviously have an advantage if you don't carry a spare! So far my P's are fine, but they do lose grip when driving spirited sometimes, but they always grab away....don't consider them dangerous! I've just always liked Pirelli tires....they're good enough for Formula 1 after all!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I opted for non-run flats on my Cooper S. Main reason - they are cheaper to replace. And secondly, the number of times I had run flats come back from a tyre centre with damaged alloys was ridiculous. Not major damage, but light scuffs or scrapes. My experience suggests, although subjective, that standard tyres last longer than run flats, too.

A friend in the trade tells me run flats are much more difficult to fit on the alloy - and frequently, damage occurs during the re-fit. Some tyre centres refuse to replace run flats completely.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not a big fan of run-flats. I keep them on my leased BMW because I have to turn them in with run-flats. It's interesting that BMW is now moving away from them. Even more telling is that the M-cars never had them.

I tossed them as soon as possible on my 2009 Clubman S and never looked back. The change in ride and handling was amazing.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts