Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am happy with mine. I have music playing all the time and it sounds great. I have all my favorite men right there in the car serenading me and I even get to look at them if they are on the album cover. The siriusxm is great too if you have that you can save all of your favorites and it will tell you if they are playing on another station. :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
It's good for the money. If you put good high quality bitrate music into it it is good. Sometimes you really get some nice lower frequency bass then you would expect from a standard audio system from other manufacturers. I don't bother listening to Radio on it, use spotify set to high quality in the settings. It sounds sweet.

It's worth noting you get 2 extra speakers with visual boost, so there are actually 2 standard set ups.

Personally it's dumb to spend £550 on Harmon Kardon in a vehicle which has Road noise and engine noise and wind noise involved (unless you have crazy free cash to spend). I've only spent £230 on my home speakers... I don't want my home to feel unloved.

I personally appreciate mine a lot. I think the sound goes with the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say that the sound system included with the Visual Boost is at least good, yes you have to turn the volume up to 60% or more for it to shine but as jamesahy said it can even surprise you because you get nice details if your source is a good quality/bitrate song.

I didn't get to turn up the volume when I tested the car at the dealership (that car had the HK system) so maybe I'm blessed because I don't know what I'm missing and I'm happy with what I have :D

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Hmmm I spend more time listening to music in my car than at home and being on my own most of the time can be very anti-social with the ac dc etc. Hence I went for the hk system but I did test them and felt vis boost system very good. Just liked the looks of the extra speakers in the hk system plus stereo imaging is totally brilliant. Just had to have it but deleted full leather to the half to afford it. Choices and dilemmas!

·
Registered
120 Posts
The Mini Cooper I test drove had the stock audio system. The one I bought has the Harmon Kardon audio. There is definitely a difference, for the better with the HK audio. It's a fuller, punchier sound, especially after a few weeks where the speakers have had time to break in.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I always have music on. Still satisfied with the standard system. But perhaps I should say my philosophy I figure if other people wanted to hear my music they should be in my car not feeling me vibrate down the street. Having said that my taste in music is not the window rattling type.

·
Super Moderator
8,831 Posts
Oops sorry dollyman. Ill rephrase it to Honda jazz type cars and the like driven slowly at 40 mph everywhere regardless of speed limits. I agree I was very wrong to suggest it's a particular age group who do this as in my experience you seem to get a cross spread of people who seem to drive like this. Young rep types when texting etc etc. Not very often mini drivers!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hi Jeremy,

I also fit your second description, I had a Toyota Yaris before the S, that's the original geriatricmobile !!!

My first post was very much tongue in cheek, no umbrage taken at all. I've now graduated to a geriatric hooligan, the power and torque of this new engine is fabulous. I had a rather quick getaway from a large roundabout on Saturday and got wheel-spin in first and second. You know the old saying " Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional", I'm trying my best to grow old disgracefully.

Two weeks into MCS ownership and enjoying it immensely.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I always have music on. Still satisfied with the standard system. But perhaps I should say my philosophy I figure if other people wanted to hear my music they should be in my car not feeling me vibrate down the street. Having said that my taste in music is not the window rattling type.
Makes perfect sense! That is why highly configurable cars are excellent. horses for courses. I have a home studio (several guitars and drum sets) and several sound systems with some of the very highest end pro gear available. So investment in an HK system for both my cars makes perfect sense - especially as my home gear plays so loud that I rarely crank it even in a detached home. So I get some of my daily music listening kicks while driving and have more time for music practice (drumming) when I get home! >:D

Besides the chief expert on sound quality at HK is a Canadian PHD (Floyd Toole) whose research I have followed since 1982! One of the very few champions of accurate & natural sounding speakers in a business that mostly pushes over-hyped sound!

For anyone reading these threads, the HK system in the MINI is pretty good if you like accurate sound reproduction (rather than a boom box) but I have certainly heard much better car audio systems. Is it worth $750 ... Well that depends on the listener's requirements for the modest incremental sound improvement.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Makes perfect sense! That is why highly configurable cars are excellent. horses for courses. I have a home studio (several guitars and drum sets) and several sound systems with some of the very highest end pro gear available. So investment in an HK system for both my cars makes perfect sense - especially as my home gear plays so loud that I rarely crank it even in a detached home. So I get some of my daily music listening kicks while driving and have more time for music practice (drumming) when I get home! >:D

Besides the chief expert on sound quality at HK is a Canadian PHD (Floyd Toole) whose research I have followed since 1982! One of the very few champions of accurate & natural sounding speakers in a business that mostly pushes over-hyped sound!

For anyone reading these threads, the HK system in the MINI is pretty good if you like accurate sound reproduction (rather than a boom box) but I have certainly heard much better car audio systems. Is it worth $750 ... Well that depends on the listener's requirements for the modest incremental sound improvement.
Since my car is MrBlueSky some of you may have figured out I am a big Jeff Lynne/ELO fan, starting at the Idle Race through the Wilburys. So I like a wide variety of music. From classic rock to symphonic. But the guys I like were pretty mellow. Even though I like things from AC/DC Andrea Bocelli to Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin my taste is pretty much the stuff before music turned into a computerized digital production. Back when everyone tried for an original sound with real instruments. I honestly can't tell the difference between pop and country with the modern current perfomers. So I am retro, if you are modern you most certainly will want to kick it up a notch. Seems like loud is what the new stuff is all about.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You dont know what you have until you lose it, if most are happy with the standard setup then thats all good, but if you had HK and went back to standard I think you would notice it more. It was night and day difference between the two when I tested it before ordering.

:)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Since my car is MrBlueSky some of you may have figured out I am a big Jeff Lynne/ELO fan, starting at the Idle Race through the Wilburys. So I like a wide variety of music. From classic rock to symphonic. But the guys I like were pretty mellow. Even though I like things from AC/DC Andrea Bocelli to Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin my taste is pretty much the stuff before music turned into a computerized digital production. Back when everyone tried for an original sound with real instruments. I honestly can't tell the difference between pop and country with the modern current perfomers. So I am retro, if you are modern you most certainly will want to kick it up a notch. Seems like loud is what the new stuff is all about.
No doubt you should have all of Tom Petty's work! I have seen him and the heartbreakers three times. I have pretty much everything he has ever done and the Live Anthology is amazing and definitely worth getting as it opens doors to other genres through some tasty covers. Listening to Tom can help expand your music horizons in the direction of great and sometimes forgotten music. His radio show Buried Treasure is road to discovery and growth. :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.