Mini Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all
I was wondering if anyone in Australia changes their own oil and filter?

If so, where do you usually buy your filter from and if not rude to ask, how much?
Also who uses what oil?
This is a personal subject about oil and widely spoken about but Australian condition differ slightly to Europe so was after some local knowledge.
Oil viscosity - 0W40, 0W30, 5W40, 5W30 and grade A5B5, LL4 etc etc.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,549 Posts
I would def go for 0w40 as your temperatures are higher than in the uk-the 40 bit means the hot end of the protection! any BMW LL01 oil is fine BUT FULLY SYNTHETIC is a must have in these turbo engines imo! RE the filter i would buy mini original but if not a good name eg fram k and n , should be ok! BUT buy major branded name don't skimp!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeremy, really appreciate your feedback.
0W40 sounds good and will definitely go with Full Synthetic.

For the filter, finding an oem filter is a chalenge here in Australia. Might just have to go to the dealer for a price and supply.
My car is due for its 15k km check service and the oil is due in another 6k km.

They want $250 For the check or $450 for the check and oil change. So with my amazing mathematical capabilities, have deducted the oil change will cost $200 for a $60 bottle of oil and a $30? Filter and thats what it would cost me and not them.

The car is definitely due for a software update so no option but to take it to the dealer however the general service can easily be done by me.

·
Super Moderator
6,549 Posts
Ouch yes i would certainly change the oil myself!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've only found one independent US source for BMW oil filters other than dealers. The major aftermarket brands don't seem to offer them for some reasion. As for oil specs the US is LL-01 and For EU and several other countries it's LL-04, at least that's my understanding. Check out what Motul has to say about this in my attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that, is good reading.
I used Motul alot in my bikes but never for my cars. Not sure why but mainly finding a supplier that stocks it for cars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts