Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the features I added to my mini was "auto-dimming and power folding mirrors". The description says the driver's side exterior, and rear view mirror use light sensitive elements to minimize glare", however it looks to me like only my rear view mirror is dimming at night. If I look into my rear view I see a green-ish tint when headlights are behind me but my side mirror looks normal.

Does anybody know if there's a way to confirm whether my driver's side mirror actually has the auto dimming feature and if it is working properly? Is there a photodiode that I should be looking for? I couldn't see one last night when I was driving.

Text Font Material property Technology Games

·
Registered
125 Posts
I don't know if it is the same on the F series cars but my Countryman had like a line around the mirror, about one cm in from the edge. It was inside this line that changed colour and so didn't reflect the lights as much. I don't have it on my F55 so can't compare.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if it is the same on the F series cars but my Countryman had like a line around the mirror, about one cm in from the edge. It was inside this line that changed colour and so didn't reflect the lights as much. I don't have it on my F55 so can't compare.
I'm going to look for the line after work today, maybe post a photo if I don't see it. My motoring advisor also said there should be a line but I don't remember noticing one before.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I looked at it yesterday and I do see the edge, so I guess the correct hardware is there. Do you notice yours actually dims noticeably at night? I notice the dimming effect of my rearview mirror and it's great but I don't notice the side view mirror on the driver's side being any different than the passenger one. Is there a photodiode that could possibly be blocked?

·
Registered
125 Posts
On my Countryman is was noticeable when it worked and it seemed to have differ levels of darkness to it so it looked darker sometimes than other times. They did seem to work together so maybe were tied to the same sensor but of course this could be different on the F series cars.

·
Registered
2021 F56 JCW Rebel Green manual
14 Posts
An old discussion but I noticed tonight that my F56 LCI2 has a dimming exterior mirror (driver side) and a dimming interior mirror. My previous 2020 F56 LCI only had the dimming interior mirror, although it had the new model outside mirror.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.