Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Doe this have indication lamp to show its actually on im trying to figure out of mine actually works

Im guessing theirs no off switch

·
Registered
113 Posts
There's no off switch, and the key thing is to drive it at night and see. You'll definitely notice the brightness of the cars behind are dimmer.

The only way to maybe test is have someone cover their hand over the camera on the front, and have someone behind shine a light. I don't think the sensors are on the mirror itself inside the car. I used to be able to test it on my previous car which did have the sensors inside the car.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's no off switch, and the key thing is to drive it at night and see. You'll definitely notice the brightness of the cars behind are dimmer.

The only way to maybe test is have someone cover their hand over the camera on the front, and have someone behind shine a light. I don't think the sensors are on the mirror itself inside the car. I used to be able to test it on my previous car which did have the sensors inside the car.
I spend my life driving in the dark my old car had a on/off It just
seems to do nothing the color/intensely matches the side mirrors on many occasions

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
On the Gen2 the sensor was built into the mirror, it was a small circle on the mirror surface.... I would assume similar on Gen3?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Same here, works perfectly. Had an auto dimming mirror for the first time in my previous BMW and needed to have it on the MINI as well. Makes driving at night so much more relaxing. In the BMW it could be tested to shine a bright flashlight directly on the sensor located in the mirror and you could see the glass getting darker. You could do this in daylight, there was even no need for it to be dark outside. Didn't try it on the MINI though but will try to check tomorrow.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Just went to the car and used the iphone as a flashlight. If you shine directly on the mirror from a short distance you'll see a small sensor in the glass (top of the mirror glass and then middle...do I make sense??). Actually I never noticed this before so not sure if you can see this with the naked eye in daylight. It was quite dark in my garage and I hit the glass with the light before I was in a good position to get a good view on the mirror so it was difficult to see it getting darker but I instantly noticed that the reflection of the bright iphone led light was dimmed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can get dimming side mirrors as a optional extra

hmm yeah mine has auto dimming side mirrors, I wernt sure if they were working last night as my rear view mirror seemed to dim the light better

but then I realised I have the privacy glass all round at the back:D

however that's a good idea to check with an iphone, dam they have bright lights

will be pretty miffed if my sides aren't auto dimming :(

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, but it would seem strange to have one without the other!
Not really aside from the £300 to spec the glass isnt cheap to replace having a friend who has had two cars where it failed its nust more hassle then itd worth

Its more useless to order a auto dimming rearview mirror and privacy glass as it doesn't usually work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts