Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Only had one car with an auto g/box, (VW with DSG). Very smooth gear change.
Is the Mini "Sport Automatic" option worth having?
Currently have a 2014 Cooper (3 cylinder) with manual shift.
Aspiring to buy a Cooper S, so the question is, auto or manual.

·
Registered
608 Posts
The Auto box is not a double clutch affair like the DSG, it's a traditional auto box but very quick. If anything it's smoother than DSG, and a bit better at being an auto too. Go and try it though, see what you think.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
The Auto box is not a double clutch affair like the DSG, it's a traditional auto box but very quick. If anything it's smoother than DSG, and a bit better at being an auto too. Go and try it though, see what you think.
It made a believer out of me. I preferred driving a manual and actually in some ways I still do, however, after driving the automatic in a competitive environment (Indianapolis Speedway) I am a believer. It is crisp and faster than the manual transmission. I miss the standard, but now all of my motorized toys and equipment (tractors, etc.) are automatics. Tough for an old gearhead to give up the manual trannies.

·
Super Moderator
1,206 Posts
One of the best auto's I've ever driven. The BMW 8 speed sport auto is excellent, and this isn't far off....

I often drive it manual using the paddles which is great fun.

·
Registered
998 Posts
i struggled to find a dealer that had a stock auto, i was lucky in the end that they had a customer build car that had been cancelled. this was almost 2 years ago now though so there may be more around but you need to make sure you drive the S rather than a Cooper as the gearbox mapping is different & only the S gets the sport box with paddles - & the bonus of the JCW steering wheel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, it's an "S" I'm interested in. Found the paddle shift good on the VW, and as you point out, the JCW steering wheel is a bonus.
Am I right in thinking a Cooper auto would be practical, but not very sporty?

·
Registered
998 Posts
the cooper has a different mapping so it will feel different. if you spec the engine modes option you still have a Sport mode there but you don't get the sport engine + sport box combo to give it that extra kick.

to be honest putting the box into sport auto mode doesn't do much other than extend the gear changes further but its the overall mapping of the sport versus non-sport that reviews have pointed out really makes the difference.

what i really like about the auto box is the harder you lean on the pedal, the sportier it gets - & it learns your driving style over time so that this becomes the norm. Also if you have the built in sat nav, it supposedly uses input from this to anticipate bends and will shift in anticipation. i don't have this so i can't verify but i remember reading this

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've found that flipping the transmission over to sport really uses engine breaking very much the same as a manual. I like using just to save my brakes a bit. Of course that all goes by the wayside when I drive like a maniac and slam on the brakes anyhow...

Reactions: Evlkarl

·
Registered
1 Posts
this tread seems to be already an old status but ill try to ask))
i have f55 mini cooper s with manual gearbox.What is the way to swap an automatic gearbox to my car?is that possible?anybody made this procedure?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts