Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have the fearure on and it seems rhat sometimes it works and somrtimes not.

How far you need to be for thr car and how long then it auto locks? Thats the whole point

Thanks!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I meant the auto lock if you forget to lock and walk away. It seems random. Or only if you are say 200 meters from the car?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Are you talking about keyless access?
Because apart from it there's only a feature that would lock your car automatically if you unlocked it but have not opened any door for like 10-15 seconds.
Otherwise the car should not lock by itself.

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
As Lazy says. If you open the car but then go back to the house without opening a door the car relocks.
If you get in a drive off if you go above a set speed the car locks( think you can stop this though)
Other than that the car does not ever lock itself you have to lock it i.e. park leave car press the lock button on door handle or remote.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, i simply meant, what is the setting so if you forget to lock the car, it locks automatically. was so tired last night LOL couldnt write.

I really like that feature, but i cannot figure out how it works exactly, sometimes i forget to lock the car in the parking lot and then it closes itself, sometimes not.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hi @bagbag in mine it's called 'Automatic relock'. If you don't open a door or the boot, then 30 seconds after you unlocked, the car will relock.
From the main menu go to Settings, Doors/key, you can scroll to it and change it here.
Vehicle Car Technology Multimedia Auto part

You might be able to change the timeout with coding, but that's a guess! There's no option in the car to alter the timeout.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BINGO! that's what i was after!

but you don't know how "far" you need to be for the car to detect you are gone so she goes "oh he's not around let's lock". the car can sense when the key thingie is near to let the engine run etc. - just a curiosity anyway.

thank you!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
are you sure? then it's not that useful, i mean it's so easy to forget locking the car when you park (then i check with the app to see if it's locked sometimes), at least for me..... i can totally say that she does it sometimes but since it's random i wanted to find out how it works.

oh well, thanks anyway guys

·
Registered
250 Posts
If it did lock by itself without keyless access, it would’ve only been a matter of time until many people locked their keys inside of their MINI ;)

In case if yours locks itself from time to time I just have to ask whether you have any 3rd party car alarm installed.

·
Registered
Mini Cooper S F57
39 Posts
We have folding mirrors and always lock the car with the mirrors folded.
So we can see from a distance if the car is locked or not.
Or we use the app as bagbag already mentioned.

·
Registered
404 Posts
BINGO! that's what i was after!

but you don't know how "far" you need to be for the car to detect you are gone so she goes "oh he's not around let's lock". the car can sense when the key thingie is near to let the engine run etc. - just a curiosity anyway.

thank you!
Do you have comfort access? I don't, and so the car has no idea how far away I am. It relocks on a timer. It's very handy. Say you've parked, you lock the car, then accidentally bump the unlock button whilst putting the key in your pocket, the car will still relock itself in 30 seconds... as long as the thief didn't sneak a door open in that time!

The rules might be quite different with comfort access, as the car can sense the key proximity when you are near to it. (without comfort access, the car can only detect the key in the very near proximity of the cabin interior font seating area.) It's possible it starts its timer when you leave the proximity of the car? (A guess.)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it did lock by itself without keyless access, it would’ve only been a matter of time until many people locked their keys inside of their MINI ;)

In case if yours locks itself from time to time I just have to ask whether you have any 3rd party car alarm installed.
OK the plot thickens, my Mini does have an extra alarm installed, since it's a Private Lease they installed this with moving sensor and i have a certificate, i think it's an extra......wonder if that's the one locking it sometimes.

it shouldn't lock if you say leave the car with the cars in, then it should "detect" you have them inside. maybe is not that smart hehe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We have folding mirrors and always lock the car with the mirrors folded.
So we can see from a distance if the car is locked or not.
Or we use the app as bagbag already mentioned.
I don't have that fancy feature, my mirrors are hand-powered :) but yeah that's a good one

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do you have comfort access? I don't, and so the car has no idea how far away I am. It relocks on a timer. It's very handy. Say you've parked, you lock the car, then accidentally bump the unlock button whilst putting the key in your pocket, the car will still relock itself in 30 seconds... as long as the thief didn't sneak a door open in that time!

The rules might be quite different with comfort access, as the car can sense the key proximity when you are near to it. (without comfort access, the car can only detect the key in the very near proximity of the cabin interior font seating area.) It's possible it starts its timer when you leave the proximity of the car? (A guess.)
that's a gooooood question. I have almost a full optional with JCW kit, but with all the possible customizations, i don't really know!

·
Registered
250 Posts
that's a gooooood question. I have almost a full optional with JCW kit, but with all the possible customizations, i don't really know!
It’s easy. Do you have a small black button on the door handles (outside) that you use to unlock to car rather than press a button on your fob?

·
Super Moderator
7,820 Posts
Relock on a comfort is the same, it doesn't detect the keys unless you are very very close.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It’s easy. Do you have a small black button on the door handles (outside) that you use to unlock to car rather than press a button on your fob?
no i don't have that, i have seen on another Mini and had no idea what that was, actually.

·
Registered
250 Posts
no i don't have that, i have seen on another Mini and had no idea what that was, actually.
In this case, if your car locks by itself after you leave it, i'd start with checking your alarm system. It's a pretty common fault OR maybe its special feature ;) as i have no idea what you got installed.
The MINI should not lock itself without comfort access except for the "auto relock" feature mentioned above which only triggers on a locked car if you unlock it and don't open any doors.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts