Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've looked everywhere for this but was hoping someone here can help.

I've had my F56 MCS for a few months now over here in Texas. Everything is great except for this peculiar thing I noticed with the light ring on the center stack. Simply put, I can drive around with the center ring blinking at me as if it thinks it's auto stopped at a light (slow pulsating green light event).

Here's how I can replicate it... When going to work everyday I have to negotiate a series of tight bends and speed humps (sleeping policeman). To avoid riding the clutch too much, I put the car in neutral and coast over the bumps. The car slows so much that it sometimes engages the auto stop. If this happens and I try to engage the clutch to catch the car from auto stopping, the car will start up as normal but the display stays on the auto off event (green pulsating light ring).

Is there a way to get display (light ring) back to the solid state without turning the car off or coming back to a complete stop and auto stop/starting the car again? I tried triggering other light ring events (volume, temp changes, fan speed, using the phone, etc) and fooled around with the light settings while this was happening, but nothing seems to trump the auto stop/start event to wake it up and realize I'm now on the freeway going 70 mph.

BTW this really messes with the average MPG & trip computer. This morning I got 78 mpg in sport mode. My car's computer just sat there blinking the auto stop sequence at me thinking I as coasting down a hill the whole way... spoiler alert, there are no hills here in my part of Texas.

My US spec MCS is a manual. Totally base. No visual boost. No nothing, Not even an arm rest... Simple and fast. just the way I like it :)

Thanks!
CBrum

·
Registered
234 Posts
I haven't received my MINI yet, but from what I've learned from lurking on this forum over the past week is that you can turn off the "events" modes of the LED ring, the downside to this is you are also turning off the RPM and speedometer events, amongst the others too.

I can't imagine that would fix your problem though, as it appears the car thinks it's still in stopped mode and is relaying this to you through the LED ring. Have you tried turning the stop/start function off and on again? It seems a simple fix and I assume you've tried it, but I'm thinking that by turning the function off it'll "tell" the car that it can no longer stop and so the car will no longer thing the engine is stopped?

Have a look at Page 61/62 of the Owners Manual and see if there is anything you are doing or not doing that may stop this from happening in the future. From what you have said, it seems you are doing a lot of what is listed to not stop the engine, such as rolling the vehicle and depressing the clutch.

On a side note, you still get the LED ring despite not having Visual Boost? Or do you have the MINI Excitement Pack (may be differently named) that is said to include the LED ring?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
On a side note, you still get the LED ring despite not having Visual Boost? Or do you have the MINI Excitement Pack (may be differently named) that is said to include the LED ring?
I have the base head unit, no visual driving excitement boost of any sort. I have the LED ring. I think it's standard in the US models.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the base head unit, no visual driving excitement boost of any sort. I have the LED ring. I think it's standard in the US models.
Ahh, we have to add either the MINI Excitement pack or the Visual Boost Radio or better to get it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Doesn't solve your issue for sure but coasting is not great practise. Leaves you with more limited control over the car and apparently damages the thrust bearing (this may be a myth!). Either way it's an avoidable issue :)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ah, see The Excitement Pack is standard in the US.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So weird how you guys get it standard but we don't. I wonder if there is anything we get standard that you guys don't?
It seems like you have less restrictions on equipment than we do - everything is packaged together here. If you want A, you have to get B, C, D and E also.

Driving Assistant is a good example - you can only get Driving Assist here with almost every option equipped.

You also have a couple features we don't have at all - the heated windshield comes to mind...

·
Registered
234 Posts
It seems like you have less restrictions on equipment than we do - everything is packaged together here. If you want A, you have to get B, C, D and E also.

Driving Assistant is a good example - you can only get Driving Assist here with almost every option equipped.

You also have a couple features we don't have at all - the heated windshield comes to mind...
I think the elements of the Driving Assistant Pack we can't have separate, it's all or nothing, but there's no being forced to have other things as well if we want the Driving Assistant Pack.

You don't get Heated Windshield?! That's... Strange... Although if you're from California, Texas or Florida, I wouldn't complain ;)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I think the elements of the Driving Assistant Pack we can't have separate, it's all or nothing, but there's no being forced to have other things as well if we want the Driving Assistant Pack.

You don't get Heated Windshield?! That's... Strange... Although if you're from California, Texas or Florida, I wouldn't complain ;)
I'm from Seattle, so it rarely gets below freezing, but when it does, it'd be nice to get a little extra help getting a layer of ice off my windshield... :)

Reactions: radiocaf

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some answers for you all on this. Thanks for the kind replies.

Got the car to do it again on the way home yesterday. Tried fooling around turning the auto stop/start switch on and off while the light ring was blinking green with no effect. So that additional suggested effort was everything I could possible think of doing. But, by chance I swung by the dealer today and was able to repeat the error for them. They took it away for 20 minutes and it's solved. Turned out to be some kind of software issue. So that's that.

Coasting with your foot off the clutch and the gears in neutral does not damage anything according to the mechanics. Foot on the clutch, yes as you are putting pressure on the bearing and other time this additional pressure can add to the overall wear. But foot off the clutch doesn't. My situation requires me to slow down to a point that if I don't take it out of gear the car will stall... so I coast foot off the clutch, with the car in neutral around 1 mph. I doubt I'm going to loose control at that speed, but you're right, you shouldn't just go cruising around in neutral in a manual.

Also checked on the light ring while at the dealer. It's 'standard' because that is the dealer defaults all their cars... BUT according to my sales person you can actually spec a mini without it here in the US... and here's the fun fact...it's more expensive to do so!

So if anyone has this green auto stop ring light event issue, it's a software problem. It's covered under warranty and it takes only a few moments to solve.

Thanks,
CBrum

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Also checked on the light ring while at the dealer. It's 'standard' because that is the dealer defaults all their cars... BUT according to my sales person you can actually spec a mini without it here in the US... and here's the fun fact...it's more expensive to do so!
Interesting...Did they elaborate how that is done? Haven't heard of any dealer able to take a standard feature off the spec sheet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had this happen to my courtesy car that I'm currently in. I also got the car to say that auto stop start had stopped working and the engine didn't restart when the clutch was pressed. Turning it all off and restarting the engine again solved this though. But as its a courtesy car I'm not fussed lol

·
Registered
101 Posts

I think this will change for 2016. The JCW cooper does not need any packages to get it now.

Also the e-calling system (same as BMW assist) I imagine we will get that in the US soon enough.
:).

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Ah, MINI Assist! Good catch.

I wonder if we'll get it... On BMWs do you not have to pay extra for the service? Don't know if MINI customer would be willing to pay that premium enough for them to justify adding it into the cars...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I kinda don't see the point in it, but then services like OnStar are unheard of in the UK. It's good for the car to phone up with information in the event of a crash, but other than that, why would you use it?

As far as I'm aware, there's no premium in the UK, but I may not have been told further details as I didn't opt for it.

(Oh and OnStar looks AWESOME, I've seen videos. Call up, ask for directions to a location and they're beamed to your navigation system without you touching anything. Why do we not have this in the UK? lol)

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
(Oh and OnStar looks AWESOME, I've seen videos. Call up, ask for directions to a location and they're beamed to your navigation system without you touching anything. Why do we not have this in the UK? lol)
Well it's not free...plans START at $20/month and go up from there... The remote nav option is $35/month.

I'll look up my directions on Google for free thanks! ;)

The accident service is the one I would be interested in, especially if my wife or someone was driving and somehow got into an accident, the emergency services can get called right away, but it seems even that is $20/month.

Reactions: radiocaf

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine does what the OP described as well. It always does it if I catch it right as the auto off kicks in. I just figured it was a quirk of the system so I didn't look into it.

Did the dealer do a full ecu update or was it simpler than that? If it's a full update I'll just leave it alone.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts