Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've twice now experienced an issue with coming out of Manual sports transmission mode on the auto.

I'll be in normal Auto, then flick the gear stick into M/S mode, then start using the paddle shifters. Flicking back into Auto mode sometimes it gets stuck in Manual mode causing the engine to rev super hard when i'm expecting it to auto change gears. This has only happened twice so far but I'm concerned it will happen again and I feel it's pretty dangerous.

Whenever it happens I notice that the instrument panel says it is in Manual mode when it should actually be back in auto. In order to fix it I have to shift it back into M/S then flick back to auto again and it eventually corrects itself.

Am I doing something wrong or has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've twice now experienced an issue with coming out of Manual sports transmission mode on the auto.

I'll be in normal Auto, then flick the gear stick into M/S mode, then start using the paddle shifters. Flicking back into Auto mode sometimes it gets stuck in Manual mode causing the engine to rev super hard when i'm expecting it to auto change gears. This has only happened twice so far but I'm concerned it will happen again and I feel it's pretty dangerous.

Whenever it happens I notice that the instrument panel says it is in Manual mode when it should actually be back in auto. In order to fix it I have to shift it back into M/S then flick back to auto again and it eventually corrects itself.

Am I doing something wrong or has anyone else experienced this?
Limp wristing it. Lol

·
Registered
83 Posts
Doesn't the manual mode have some sort of 'time-out' feature?

You can use the paddles even when the stick in the A mode and it automatically switches to manual mode when you press the paddles and then switches to automatic mode after few seconds if you do not touch the paddles. Could it be that if you use the paddles and then move the stick back to automatic mode it remembers you just used the paddles and thus remains in the manual mode until the paddle time-out kicks in? I remember having a car (probably from VAG) where the paddles worked like that.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Yep agree, if you are using the paddles in Auto, it won't go back into Auto for a few seconds, even if this means you are bouncing it of the rev limiter. I haven't tried this exiting manual mode, but guess it's the same, providing your only talking about 5 seconds before it goes back to full auto.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll test this out again but I suspect you guys are right on the money. I thought I could clear that time-out by switching back to auto on the gearstick but obviously it remembers or resets the time-out after using paddles. Yes it feels like 5 seconds or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.