Mini Cooper Forum banner

Automatic vs Sport-Automatic

38K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  TheAlterKocker 
The sport automatic supposedly has programming to shift gears faster? Documentation is pretty sparse on how exactly it differs besides the shift paddles. Definitely programming though as the transmission itself I believe is mechanically the same.

Both auto transmissions have a manual mode and both have a sport shifting mode that will rev higher before changing gears and launch control is standard on the Cooper S and an option on the Coopers.

The sport automatic is not required for predictive drivetrain. It does have to be a petrol model, it does have to have an auto transmission and it does have to have navigation equipped.

Guidance does not need to be activated for it to work, but if you have a route programmed or if you using your turn signals, it works better. It's designed to shift to the optimal gear whilst going into S-curves, turning on crossroads, highway ramps, and roundabouts.

Works in SPORT and MID and are adapted to those modes, but it is not enabled in GREEN mode and it won't work with cruise control on.

Also, at least in the US, you do not get the paddles with the JCW wheel, though getting the sport auto requires you to get the JCW wheel OR the MINI Yours wheel.

Reactions: uke
You are a MINI genius :)

I wish the LED driving lamps were available here.. Do you know if that is going to happen?
I wish I did... Dealers seem to only have the halogen driving lamps available with no word on the LEDs

The information is indeed very sparse. From what I found out (and what siriuszero and others also posted) this is what you get with the sport automatic:
- Paddle Shifters
- JWC or Mini Yours Wheel
- Launch Control
- Option for full manual control
- According to my sales man the sport auto shifts quicker (and probably harder) by some fractions of a tenth of a second within the first three gears if in sports mode. Gears 4-6 are supposedly identical with both transmissions
- The stick itself might look a little bit different (brushed aluminum vs leather cover), but I'm not sure if that comes with an appearance package (I have the US non-sport auto and mine just has the leather sack covering the stick)
Full manual control is available on the plain automatic, you just shift it from D to M/S and use the stick to shift. The Sport Auto adds the paddle shifters.

The stick looks the same, unless you are doing the JCW thing which changes to red stitching.

I was aware of that. But even in the manual mode there is automatic up-shifting under certain conditions which can be disabled if you have the sport auto. This is what the User Manual says:

Manual mode M/S: prevent automatic
upshifting

Once maximum engine speed is attained, M/S
manual mode is automatically upshifted as
needed.
For vehicles with Sport automatic transmission,
automatic shift operations are not performed if
one of the following conditions is met:
▷ DSC is deactivated.
▷ TRACTION is activated.
In addition, the kickdown is deactivated.
The only automatic upshifting I've experienced is when I was testing it out and let it redline for a second before it shifted. For the most part, I was able to let it rev and didn't feel it "nanny-ing" at all. Interesting though...More testing is required when my car finally comes...

True, but the JCW int also adds the aluminum piece around the shifter on automatic versions (as well as red stitching)
Ah, you're totally right...don't know how I missed that... :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.