Mini Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I was going over some of the controls one dry day with my salesman when I was at the dealership. I couldn't get the wipers to go very fast like you would need in a hard rain. He just said they automatically adjust as needed, but I was bothered by the fact I couldn't MANUALLY get them to go as fast as I think they should go. Another instance where Hal (my car, not my salesman) was being pig-headed. My salesman isn't all that proficient on all the technical doodads, so I wasn't confident he himself understood how they work.

So can they be manually operated in the same range as the auto mode? Geez I like automation and all that, but still think people should rule over AI!

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Yes press the button on the STALK green light comes up on the STALK. That's auto mode. The little knurled wheel set in the STALK increases or decreases sensitivity to rain. Move the STALK up and the wipers are on all the time then up again for fast all the time. Both thelse modes overrides the auto function.press down for one wipe ( I think it's up and down. Not driven for 4 weeks now and it could be another 4 yet! Grrrr

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can make them go fast or faster manually.

If you push the wand up once they go fast and if you push it up twice they go faster (at the fastest speed). It took me forever to figure it out because in my other car the wand was pushed down not up (I hope I'm remembering this correctly).

In the MINI if you push the wand down, the wiper wipes one time only.

I think the speed is faster when it's on auto then it is on the manual setting. Last night it was pouring buckets and the wipers were going at a crazy fast speed (on auto). Next time it rains like that I'll try the manual fastest speed and see how they compare.

I know what you mean about the sales guy, mine too, claimed they had changed things around on the 2015 models and just told me to "play around" and figure things out!

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
You're right minigirl they can go faster than the second up push on the wnd can do. Not sure why but had a golf that was the same!

Reactions: MINIgirl

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeremy, didn't know about the sensitivity to the rain thingy. I thought that was how to set the rear wipers speed on intermittent setting.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I don't even recall seeing this option on the list of things offered. I probably wouldn't have gone for though as I tend not to have much enthusiasm for non-performance oriented options. Even if they offered LED rain sensing wipers with heads up display and volcanic orange scented washer spray, I probably would still pass.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I don't even recall seeing this option on the list of things offered. I probably wouldn't have gone for though as I tend not to have much enthusiasm for non-performance oriented options. Even if they offered LED rain sensing wipers with heads up display and volcanic orange scented washer spray, I probably would still pass.
This is standard in 2015 hardtop.
Might be a USA thing. We seem to have standard stuff that others must spec in options.

And I love the smell of Volcanic Orange in the morning. Mmmmmmmmm VO

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
Check your right hand wand sting Ray, press the button on the end of it. I bet you have it.

Weird kenl mine are perfect, you have to adjust them v steadily in my experience click by click and leave it a while.between each adjustment

·
Registered
508 Posts
Even if they offered ... volcanic orange scented washer spray, I probably would still pass.
And I love the smell of Volcanic Orange in the morning. Mmmmmmmmm VO
A relative of mine is what they call a 'recovering alocholic' (apparently it's bad karma to suggest they have fully recovered) and the one thing he allows himself is as much of the psycho -25 screen wash as he likes - he reckons it's as near the smell of whisky as he can safely allow himself to get.......

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
I had to laugh I had to explain the tpms system to my dealer. To be fair though he was very good with the I drive.too good,left me!

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
... I think most of us would be better Mini sales reps then the ones we've been dealt.
When I took the car into the dealer to check out the transmission at slower, cornering speeds (not satisfied with their answer and will revisit after a period of time passes), the technician driving my car kept calling switching from automatic to manual (steptronic) as going into Sport Mode. He must have said it four times.

Where is he getting that from? Before they added the driving modes (Sport, Mid, Econ) was it common to call an automatic's manual mode Sport mode?

Anyway, it was driving me nuts.

JP

·
Registered
143 Posts
I am not impressed by the set up of these. Moving in slow traffic they do not swipe enough (no matter the sensitivity setting), speed up and they go crazy!
i think you can still push the lever downwards when on auto for additional wiping if not frequent enough when stopped, i dont understand how speed should affect it, it may still be lashing it down while not moving but the mini's have been like this for years from what i understand?

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
If you speed up more rain hits the sensor, hence wipers speed up.you're right you can still down press and add in an extra wipe . Is your screen clean over the sensor on the rear view mirror. If not it won't work properly!

·
Super Moderator
7,910 Posts
That's true annoying though as am really pleased with mine kenl. I wonder if the sensor is faulty?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.